StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Trends in Patrol vehicles when Crown Vics gone?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Cop Corner
 Trends in Patrol vehicles when Crown Vics gone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
87 Posts

Posted - November 09 2016 :  4:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Police Interceptor Explorers here. Twin turbo, 365 HP, all wheel drive. My wife drives the civi version. Explorer Sport. Impressive. Costs LOTSA tax dollars!!!

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

Rexster

USA
87 Posts

Posted - January 06 2017 :  7:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Rexster an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Houston PD uses a mix of old Crown Vics, a very few of the Taurus-based Police Interceptors, a very few of the smallish fast Chevrolet/GM cars, whatever those are called, and a rather large number of Tahoes, all of which are giving way to the Ford SUV Police Interceptors, due to the increase in the cost of Tahoes. Philanthropists have bought some Camaros for Traffic Enforcement Division.

I will neither confirm nor deny working for Houston PD, but being one of the highest-seniority officers in my division, could be driving one of the Ford SUV Police Interceptors. I have opted to keep driving the older Tahoes, because it is easier for my aging knees to step from the Tahoe than to climb from the smaller vehicles, and it is smoother to get a long gun deployed from the rack in the roomier Tahoe. Being so near retirement, I hope to keep using a Tahoe until either retired, or perhaps leaving patrol for another role.

I live in the small city of Bellaire, Texas, which equips its PD with the Ford SUV Police Interceptors. (Bellaire is surrounded by Houston.)

Have Colts, will travel

Edited by - Rexster on January 06 2017 8:01:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

silverback

USA
55 Posts

Posted - January 07 2017 :  1:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As i was retiring we were going from Crown Vics to Tahoes(working Woodward between Detroit and Pontaic)high drug traffic area i would take a Vic ever night over the twitchy Tahoe.But then again i liked my old 440 Coronet.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2613 Posts

Posted - August 10 2017 :  01:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do the Fish & Wildlife depts exclusively use SUVs & trucks?

I don't see many of them here, I'm not sure what they use.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
590 Posts

Posted - August 10 2017 :  08:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Majority are pickups, in TN, but they do have some SUV's.

Edited to add; I have a neighbor that is a retired Game Warden and he told me years ago that he hated the SUV's and said most Warden, he knew, preferred pickups.

I live across the road from a good sized creek that is full of snakes. I have had several crawl inside my house garage and another Warden, living down the road, got me for killing snakes from a 40' bridge. Didn't write me a ticket but told me it was unlawful to kill snakes and I was breaking the law shooting from a roadway. I told him the snakes were going to my house and were becoming a nuisance and he said for me to quit. They were just water snakes about 3' long. I was reeking havoc on them before he caught me. They were infested under the bridge. Haven't seen one in my house for a few years now.

TN. law states if wild animals are becoming a nuisance you can shoot them. I have had to do the same with grey squirrels.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on August 10 2017 08:27:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
910 Posts

Posted - August 10 2017 :  2:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dov

Do the Fish & Wildlife depts exclusively use SUVs & trucks?

I don't see many of them here, I'm not sure what they use.

In Pennsylvania we use both. We have Ford Expeditions and Chevy Tahoes. Both are being replaced by Chevy Silverado 4-door cab trucks with the police service package. Our vehicles are all black, red and blue lights are all mounted in the interior now.
State Park rangers use the Ford Exploder Interceptor and have found them to be lousy off-road vehicles. They are also being replaced with Chevy Silverado 4-door pickups (white).

Before all else, be armed. - Machiavelli
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2613 Posts

Posted - August 10 2017 :  4:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea how tough of "off roading" they prepare for, like just tow straps, shovel, chainsaw/axe; or they carry more gear than that?

Just curious, hadn't occurred to me before that they might do much more than a farmer/rancher with farm truck.

Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - August 11 2017 :  08:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dov

Any idea how tough of "off roading" they prepare for, like just tow straps, shovel, chainsaw/axe; or they carry more gear than that?

Just curious, hadn't occurred to me before that they might do much more than a farmer/rancher with farm truck.

The deputies I work with are all part of Emergency Services and the LEO side of our counties SAR Teams, the rest like our communications group that I'm a part of are volunteers. They have all kinds of emergency rescue equipment, as well as some deputies are also K9 handlers so their rigs are set up for their 4 legged partner. Our county has mountains as well as sage desert which is why they have 4x4 Dodge crew cabs, they switched over from Chevy's both pickups and Tahoes a few years ago. They do have some Chargers for deputies that cover cities with no police departments and unincorporated communities.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
910 Posts

Posted - August 11 2017 :  7:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dov

Some districts have very few paved roads, and any equipment such as high-lift jacks are placed in the vehicle by the officer that the vehicle is issued to. Our trucks are generally equipped with mud/snow tires and limited slip or locking rear axles. They also have skid plates protecting the vital components under the truck. Our trucks must get capable of towing various trailers including our culvert traps for black bears. One thing that officers don't want to do with their issued truck is bury it in the woods. Takes a LONG time to live that down.

Before all else, be armed. - Machiavelli
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000