Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - New Deer Rifle
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 New Deer Rifle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - November 21 2019 :  5:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just received a Black Friday sale paper from, Bass Pro, which has a Savage Axis X P Bolt action rifle package with a factory mounted, and bore sighted Weaver 3-9x40 rifle scope on it. It is priced, after a 75.00 rebate for 199.97. It comes in 8 calibers. Sounds interesting. Do any of you know anything about the Savage Axis X P rifles?

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1153 Posts

Posted - November 21 2019 :  5:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only know what the hearsay is---that the new generation Savage rifles are accurate and good shooters. I have no personal experience with them.
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
984 Posts

Posted - November 21 2019 :  8:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My nephew has one in 7-08. Paid a lot more than 200.00 for it. It's a good rifle.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - November 21 2019 :  9:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend sent me this review of this rifle. Hope this is allowed here. Sounds somewhat promising. Appears this is Savage's attempt to compete with the very affordable Ruger American rifle. Tell me your thoughts, good/bad.

Savage Axis/Edge Rifle: Best for the Dollar?
By Randy Wakeman

Basic black Savage Axis. Illustration courtesy of Savage Arms.

The tested rifle is the Savage Axis (formerly and briefly the "Edge"), a brand new offering from Savage Arms, designed to bring industry leading affordability in a bolt action center fire rifle to the consumer. The Axis is designed and manufactured in the United States. It is not a variant of the famous Savage Model 110 action; this is a new action and stock rather than a redux. What is remarkable, if not stunning in 2010, is that the new Savage Axis has a MSRP of $329, with a street price of around $290. This is the type of blisteringly low price that would have most folks looking for "the made in Pakistan roll-stamp," not something made in the United States by American workers with American steel. Yet, that is exactly where this rifle is made, with a barrel made by the same machines and craftsmen as Savage's World Championship rifles.
The test rifle is in .223 Remington, though the Edge is offered in a wide variety of centerfire chamberings including 22-250, .243 Winchester, 7mm-08, .308 Winchester, 25-06, .270 Winchester and .30-06. All of them are claimed to weigh about 6-1/2 pounds, have 22 inch barrels and have 4-shot detachable box magazines. None comes with iron sights. The Edge is intended for use with a scope, with package models including a scope available. All of the Edge rifles are about 43-7/8 inches in overall length.
The first area I looked at was the trigger. By now, most serious shooters are familiar with Savage's user-adjustable Accu-Trigger, the trigger that changed the industry. If imitation is the greatest form of flattery, the folks at Savage Arms must feel tremendously flattered at the number of Accu-Trigger wannabes that have appeared as of late, not just on rifles, but also on shotguns. While triggers are generally a bit of a pain in the butt for manufacturers, I've had far too many triggers that break at far more than the firearm weight and are plagued with grit, creep and all kinds of mysterious stages that make shooting with them a chore.
The Axis lacks an Accu-Trigger and its conventional trigger breaks at a heavy 5-1/2 pounds with some initial creep, but no grit. Is it an Accu-Trigger? The candid answer is no, not even close, but it is useable.
Another pet peeve of mine are noisy safeties that echo though the woods with a loud metallic click, or are unduly burdensome to get off, particularly with cold or gloved hands. Savage did a very good job by including a huge two-position tang safety that you just cannot miss. This is far better than the flipper-flopper side safeties with which you might be familiar.
One particularly nasty trick is when rifle manufacturers force proprietary scope base types on their customers, so they can sell their own overpriced bases and rings. It invariably makes me groan. Not so with the Savage Axis, which uses the widely available two-piece bases for “round receiver front and rear,” the same as used by Savage centerfire Accu-Trigger models.
In a nod to practicality of production, the Axis platform is one action type and platform. There is no Axis micro or macro action, just one (.30-06 length) receiver regardless of chambering. All Axis rifles have similarly profiled sporter barrels.
The standard Axis is almost all black, the chrome bolt with the Savage Arms etching and the familiar image of Chief Lame Bear being the single part that keeps it from being all black. Camo finish is available at additional cost.
Aesthetically, the Axis has "futuristic" styling, with deeply relieved notches in the bolt and recoil pad, excessively fluted comb, textured surfaces (not checkering) at the forearm and pistol grip and a deeply finger grooved forearm that complete the theme. I hesitate to call it loud, as the overall matte black of the rifle mutes the unnecessary styling accents. Nevertheless, it does have a tactical styling theme.
I mounted a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm scope on the Axis and was off to do some shooting. The first four "spotter" shots at 100 yards, using 62 grain FMJ American Eagle ammo, grouped at 5/8th of an inch. Dialing in the Axis, switching to Federal Premium #P223S loads using the Barnes 55 grain Triple Shock bullet, the groups shrank to just under half an inch, despite gusty outdoor range conditions. This is an astounding level of accuracy for a bargain-priced rifle.
The Axis' action is slick and smooth and cartridges fed out of the detachable box magazine with no hassle. Extraction and ejection, via a plunger ejector, was trouble-free. This was a good thing, since the ejection port is an oval slot in the bulky, milled from bar stock receiver that limits access should there be a jam to clear. Compared to an open top receiver, such as found in the Savage 110, the oval ejection port also increases the difficulty of loading a single cartridge directly into the chamber.
Although not the same as the Model 110 action, the Axis does use a similar multi-piece bolt that has two front locking lugs (90-degree bolt lift) and cocks on opening. The Axis also has the familiar Savage barrel-nut, a very good thing. Rather than fighting tolerance stack-up, the barrel nut allows for precise head-spacing of each individual rifle. The Axis shoots like a Savage, my impression being this is primarily due to Savage's uniform attention to chamber machining, head-spacing and barrel quality.
There is nothing in the marketplace, that I am aware of, that is competitive with the Axis in price. It seems amazing that you can get, in 2010, an under three hundred dollar street price rifle capable of one half MOA groups right out of the box, but that's precisely what the Axis delivered. It is affordable enough that anyone who really wants an accurate rifle just ran out of excuses. In the tested .223 Remington caliber, it can serve as a walking varminter, ranch rifle, or utility rifle that you can have fun with at the range. For a general hunting rifle, there isn't much that you cannot do with the .308 or .30-06 families of cartridges and you can have them for the same price.
Although some sacrifices have been made to make this new action easier to machine, it is obviously a strong, robust action that owes a great deal to its Model 110 heritage, using a similar barrel, bolt and lockup. It functioned beautifully with no hiccups and there is nothing hanging off the rifle that is likely to snag on clothing and so forth.
In summation, the Savage Axis is a clean design that shoots beyond its diminutive price tag. Too often, rifles targeted as entry-level guns have displayed lousy safeties, rough actions, fussy magazines and lackluster accuracy. The Axis has none of these propensities, comes with metal sling swivel studs and a better than expected recoil pad. For these reasons, I think Savage Arms is going to sell a ton of these rifles. There is nothing out there that directly competes with it, much less a centerfire rifle built in Westfield, Massachusetts, USA.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 21 2019 10:03:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - November 22 2019 :  07:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the gun store was open, we sold more of the Savage rifles than the Rugers. Based on reviews, read and personal, my sales pitch went something like 'The major rifle companies came out with inexpensive, good quality rifles for people new to the game. The Ruger American and Savage Axis seem to be the better of the bunch. They tend to be more than adequately accurate, and to function like they're supposed to. If you don't have a brand preference, the easiest way to pick one is by how it feels to you here in the store; second easiest is to flip a coin.'
My personal preference is the Ruger, but that's only because I've been a Rugerite since I bought my first pistol when I was 19 years old, a Single Six which I still have. Never have heard a complaint on the quality of either; there was some discontent with the entry-level Remington (forgot the model #), from a few people.
Ya better hurry, Pop, or deer season will be over before you get one. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9845 Posts

Posted - November 23 2019 :  12:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We sold a few when I had the shop - they seem OK but I've never owned one or worked on one (which might be an indicator that they don't break).

They have a good trigger.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - November 23 2019 :  1:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the local gun store yesterday, and seen one of the Savage Axis rifles. Looks nice and was very light even with the scope. I very well may try and get the Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor if possible.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 23 2019 1:30:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - November 25 2019 :  4:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandson, son-in-law, and I are bound for Bass Pro early on Friday morning and both of us want the Savage Axis. We will see how we come out. This will be the first black Friday I have been out in along while. I purchased a Cannon Fat Boy (42 gun) Gun Safe the last time. Got a 1100.00 safe for 540.00 out the door. Hope they got a bunch of Savages at Bass Pro. I have decided on the 6.5 Creedmoor, or 308. They said they had 8 calibers in the add.

Which caliber would you get if you were in the market?

I am kind of a 30 06 man at heart, and this(Creedmoor) will be a stretch for me.

Edited to add; Ain't America a great place.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 25 2019 4:55:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3665 Posts

Posted - November 25 2019 :  6:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For an under 300 yard deer rifle the caliber isn't a major concern when you start to choose between .308, 7mm-08, 260, 6.5 Creedmor... all will do the job very well with decent bullets --- and all of those calibers have quality hunting loads in their factory available lines.

Just put the bullet in the right spot. In that respect the rifle & scope is more important than which of the above calibers you choose.IMHO

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - November 26 2019 :  12:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you asked, so....I'd be grabbing the .308, but only because there's no need for a new caliber in the stable for me at this stage of the game. If I still had the places and opportunities to hunt like, say, 20 years ago, that Creedmore would be fun to try. Age wouldn't stop me trying something new.
Whatever you end up with, we want to hear about it. Enjoy that Black Friday crowd; better thee than me. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - November 30 2019 :  07:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, after a morning long outing we ended up purchasing 4 Rifles. The one I purchased was a Savage Axis XP bolt action in 308, and we got another for a grandson(11 Y O), a Savage Axis XP in 7MM 08. Another grandson (15) and his dad both purchased 243's. All have detachable magazines and Weaver 3x9 40 MM scopes on them. All have camo composite stocks. They are nice rifles for what they cost. Quality of assembly is fair, as two of the rifles has the scopes mounted crocked. Grandson 1 has already had his out, but not sighted in, yesterday afternoon. By the way both went hunting, yesterday afternoon, and one got a small buck also, but not with the 243 they just purchased. He said he needed to check the scope zero before he trusted the new rifle. Very Wise!

We arose at 3:00 AM and was in Bass Pro parking lot by 4:30. Too our surprise, there were about 500 people already there. By the time the store opened (5:00 AM) the were about 750 people in line to get in the store. They had 110 of these rifles for sale. They were gone in 15 minutes. It took up until 11:00 AM to get all the paperwork complete and on our way home.

We ended up purchasing the 4 rifles for 169.99 each. The Rifles were regularly 349.00 with a 75.00 markdown by the store. Also all of them had a 75.00 rebate from Savage. We were also able to purchase 2, 600.00 gift certificates for 540.00 each (60.00 savings), which we used to pay for the rifles before we left. That amounted to another 30.00 per rifle off. That is how we came out with he 170.00 cost + sales tax, for each of the rifles.

Have plans to get them out and look them over soon. Will go sight them in and see how they shoot. All in all we had a great day, with 2 grandsons (who will never forget this day) and their fathers out for a large Black Friday shopping spree at the Bass Pro (Man's Store my granddaughter call it).

Slept like a baby last night! What-A-Day! The Creedmoor's were gone in the first 5 minutes.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 30 2019 3:51:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - November 30 2019 :  11:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good time was had by all. I'd like to have seen some Lefties vapor lock as they watched all those guns walking out the door.

As everyone here knows, I'm never one to offer unwanted or unsolicited advice, and I would never even think to do so in this situation; but if I was going to, it would be to give the scope mounts and rings a good going over, be sure they got all the screws tight at the factory, and that they are mounted straight. Sometimes they don't pay much attention to those details at the factory--as you already noticed. I've talked to people who just couldn't understand what was wrong with their new rifle, when they didn't shoot bullseyes right out of the box; after all, they put the scope on it, so surely they would have sighted it in too, wouldn't they? Ignorance can be so entertaining.

Is it too early to start saying 'Merry Christmas'? I don't care; Merry Christmas to all. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - November 30 2019 :  11:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Ace, I noticed right off that the scope mounting screws were not tightened in a uniform situation. One side was all the way down metal to metal and the other side of the tube was 1/4" apart. Will need to go over all of them to insure they are right and tight. The Weaver 3 to 9 variable Scopes are fairly bright and clear and overall the rifles look good. The proof will come when we get them out shooting. If one accepts them for what they are, they are adequate guns. If they shoot straight and have tight groups, they will be good ones. By no means are they high dollar guns for this price, but very adequate for young men to use for hunting. Parker told me he may get to go on a wild hog hunt this spring. His neighbor has a farm in S Carolina, where they live and the hogs are causing a lot of problems in their peach orchard. He plans to take the 30 30 I gave his dad last year. He really is into hunting and fishing. He shot and killed a squirrel, in our back yard, with my scoped mdl 60 Matlin 22 LR.

I allowed Parker, (11 Y O) to put his name on the 7 MM 08 box and told him it is his when I bring it to him down the road. I also let him have the Remington 1911 I purchased new, 5 years ago at Bass Pro, when he was with me on that purchase. He has to hold it every time he comes in. We may fire it the next time he comes in this coming spring. He will be 12.

I am keeping the bolt action 308 Winchester for myself. Wanted the Creedmoor, but that is how Black Friday shopping goes. They were the first to go, and I was not first in line.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - December 01 2019 :  1:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evidently the doe that has lived in the woods, behind our home, is in season this morning. I have seen a small buck (tall spike) roaming the back yard for about a week now. This morning, we were sitting at the breakfast table and 2 young bucks (3 yr o), one a 7 point and the other 8 pointer, was chasing the doe all around my yard. We have a 3 acre yard with woods behind the house. The doe still has last years fawns with her, but have not seen them this morning. I guess they have vacated the area for now. Guess we will have some little ones by spring.

Told sweetie I was going to get my new Savage 308 out, and get me a buck. She vetoed that operation, instantly. Well, I haven't sighted it in yet. Two more days left in this deer season. I think they have another season around Christmas.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - December 03 2019 :  5:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to Sportsman's Warehouse, locally, and they had Winchester Deer Season XP ammo with a 150 gr bullet. Marked on the box 2588 fps @ 100 yards and has 2231 pounds energy, at that distance. That is what I want to sight my 308 in with. Went to Wal Mart and they had the same ammo at 20.94. I had previously checked S G Ammo, on line, and they had it for 18.95 but they added 12.00 shipping to the cost. I purchased 3 boxes from Wal Mart.

I sure hate to see Wal Mart stop selling ammo. Like them or not, they have good prices.

I am excited to get outside and sight the Axis in. Just need the weather to warm a little as I am just getting over Bronchitis.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on December 04 2019 4:22:20 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000