Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Donít forget to keep your shield moving
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 Donít forget to keep your shield moving
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jlwilliams

USA
246 Posts

Posted - July 08 2018 :  8:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though metallic cartridges were well established at that time, there were still lots of cap and ball guns in use. Even with cartridge ammo, loads were a great deal less consistent than today. Point being, a soft lead ball fired from a revolver on horseback at low speed from unknown distance and direction may well glance off a hard leather shield. The writer's account may be more credible than we are giving it credit for. I don't know how that bears on XTP bullets moving (maybe) twice as fast, but it may be a mistake to assume his observation is flat out wrong.

(Then again, eye witnesses are often enough full of beans..so.....)
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
179 Posts

Posted - July 12 2018 :  2:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julian Hatcher wrote in his "Investigation" book about both ends of the spectrum in handgun shootings. He was called to a shooting where a Border Patrolman and a contribandista shot at each other across a room of an adobe hut. One armed with a .45 acp and the other with a .45 Colt. One was hit dead center of his forehead the other center of the chest. When he arrived they were both up walking around. The acp had skidded on the skull and was stuck under the skin on the backside. The 45 Colt was stuck in the other man's sternum. The opposite end of the spectrum was Hatcher said he personally investigated a dead Mexican boy killed at a measured 550 yards with a .22. His point was to believe anything in between.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9711 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  08:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

As it so happens, Chris, I do happen to have one left in mauve. I'll set it aside for you. Great choice!

As you can imagine, mauve buffalos are few and far between...

Slightly off topic (but only a little) I recall some years ago when Walmart carried their cheap spray paint in several colors, they had a clearance on some old cans that didn't sell, there was plenty of mauve - I think it was like 50 cents a can and I bought a bunch.

I painted my steel targets with it - bullets did bounce off of that...Mauve must be pretty tough

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5183 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  11:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect that mauve buffalo have probably developed a thick skin...

from all the other buffs laughing at them...

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on July 17 2018 11:45:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3362 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  12:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I use white paint on my steel targets and the bullets just seem to bounce right off. OMG! I forgot the "White Buffalo" was a mythical symbol to the Indians. An omen! Maybe they would have been totally bullet-proof!

Paint your shields white! Or, maybe mauve could work... although I'm not sure I could carry a mauve shield in public

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

jlwilliams

USA
246 Posts

Posted - July 24 2018 :  7:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BatteryOaksBilly

Julian Hatcher wrote in his "Investigation" book about both ends of the spectrum in handgun shootings. He was called to a shooting where a Border Patrolman and a contribandista shot at each other across a room of an adobe hut. One armed with a .45 acp and the other with a .45 Colt. One was hit dead center of his forehead the other center of the chest. When he arrived they were both up walking around. The acp had skidded on the skull and was stuck under the skin on the backside. The 45 Colt was stuck in the other man's sternum. The opposite end of the spectrum was Hatcher said he personally investigated a dead Mexican boy killed at a measured 550 yards with a .22. His point was to believe anything in between.

Wow. Just....wow. It's a strange world out there
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.15seconds. Snitz Forums 2000