Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Trip Carry guns
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Trip Carry guns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5317 Posts

Posted - March 30 2018 :  9:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malcolm, when will you be in Kansas, and what part? Maybe I could buy you an RC or something. If an e-mail will go through here, good. If not, feel free to reach me at batt@doglegs.com (but keep it secret from anybody not part of our group here). Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5228 Posts

Posted - March 30 2018 :  9:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For many years the travel guns have been a Glock 19 and a S&W 642. I'm sure everyone here can fill in the blanks on why those two choices.

If I take a long gun, the primary requirement is that it must penetrate vehicle bodies well. I figure if I have to haul the long gun out of the trunk there will most likely be other vehicles in the immediate vicinity. I'd prefer those vehicles be concealment, rather than cover.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

853 Posts

Posted - March 31 2018 :  01:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My road trip gear includes the usual G-26 IWB, a S&W 442 in my pants pocket and a 638 on my ankle. I also keep a G-19 in a fanny pack with several extra mags in it. The fanny pack has a NIKON patch on the front. I also bring a KelTec SU-16C in a tennis racket bag with a half dozen of the evil, high-cap mags. Sometimes I substitute my KelTec PLR-16 for the SU-16C. The wife brings her 642 and a KelTec P-3AT.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4076 Posts

Posted - March 31 2018 :  9:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I’m hoping to “retrieve” my K-T SU16b from my son on this trip. Hopefully, that will happen this go around.
Ace, Johnson County-Olathe to be precise. I’ll send you an email from my comcast address.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9636 Posts

Posted - May 03 2018 :  08:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on where I'm going, and more importantly where I will be passing through, I will change what I carry - not the systems but rather the specific guns, because if I actually have to use them then they might get taken in evidence (that is unlikely here in my home state or at least in my home county).

So instead of my normal Colt 1911 I'll carry a S&W E-series or a Ruger which I am not nearly as attached to. Same for the BUG (which currently is a S&W Scandium most of the time - but I will carry the standard one I bought for $400 instead of the Gunsite version which belonged to a very good friend who passed away).

My long guns are typically a short lever action 30-30 and an accurate bolt action - for trips I either use the old cut down Marlin 336 that we confiscated years ago and the Sheriff gave to me or a #4 Enfield I bought for $35 but which shoots really good.

I also sometimes stick a 7.5" Ruger Redhawk .44 mag or a Glock 20 in 10mm that I added a thumb safety to - I'm not emotionally attached to either - nor did I give much for them. I keep them in a computer case behind the passenger seat so I can reach them while driving.

As always, everyone has to work out their own salvation, I would not degrade my odds of survival, but if I can still have an effective weapon and not risk losing a cherished possession then I'm willing to do that.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4323 Posts

Posted - May 03 2018 :  09:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

Depending on where I'm going, and more importantly where I will be passing through, I will change what I carry - not the systems but rather the specific guns, because if I actually have to use them then they might get taken in evidence (that is unlikely here in my home state or at least in my home county).

So instead of my normal Colt 1911 I'll carry a S&W E-series or a Ruger which I am not nearly as attached to. Same for the BUG (which currently is a S&W Scandium most of the time - but I will carry the standard one I bought for $400 instead of the Gunsite version which belonged to a very good friend who passed away).

My long guns are typically a short lever action 30-30 and an accurate bolt action - for trips I either use the old cut down Marlin 336 that we confiscated years ago and the Sheriff gave to me or a #4 Enfield I bought for $35 but which shoots really good.

I also sometimes stick a 7.5" Ruger Redhawk .44 mag or a Glock 20 in 10mm that I added a thumb safety to - I'm not emotionally attached to either - nor did I give much for them. I keep them in a computer case behind the passenger seat so I can reach them while driving.

As always, everyone has to work out their own salvation, I would not degrade my odds of survival, but if I can still have an effective weapon and not risk losing a cherished possession then I'm willing to do that.

Jim H.

that's sort of my phillosophy on carry guns generally

Glocks and Mossbergs

you can't hurt the looks of one, they work, and they are a dime a dozen

if they get lost, stolen, or confiscated go get another one

I leave the heir looms and collectables home in the safe.....

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5317 Posts

Posted - May 03 2018 :  12:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One trip a while back, I carried both XD's on the belt. Then got the idea that the odds of needing two full 17-shooters in a social situation are much smaller than the odds the gendarmes would confiscate any guns on my person after the same situation; so I tucked one of the pistols in the bottom of the suitcase as a replacement-as-needed, along with a spare magazine or two (in case they take the extra ammo, too). Then the biggest nuisance would be if they took the holster, but that can be fixed. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34334 Posts

Posted - May 03 2018 :  1:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim brings up a good point. If you're involved in a deadly force incident and SURVIVE it, you had better kiss your guns good bye.

My cpl allows me to carry in gun free zones and since my AR pistol had to be registered as a pistol I currently carry two Smith 9MM's, a Smith 442 on my person and my AR pistol in a 5'11 X Ray Messenger bag, broken down.

What am I afraid of? Standing in front of God ashamed I didn't bring enough stuff to the fight.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
179 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  1:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't been over 60 miles from home in the last 5 years. Same for leaving the state. I ride 50 miles a day round trip. I always carry 2 G43s. Vehicles are equipped with AR pistols and 1 16 round+ handgun. I try to take enough to make it back to the gates.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9636 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  3:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

Snippage>

What am I afraid of? Standing in front of God ashamed I didn't bring enough stuff to the fight.

I am so stealing that last line!

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000