StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Mossberg Shock Wave?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 Mossberg Shock Wave?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gw
Advanced Member

4088 Posts

Posted - February 12 2018 :  4:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
swat them over the head with barrel

we did riot control in Panama before the invasion, riots every day, fun stuff

we used bayonets

butt-strokes are good, but you want to get their attention, wave a bayonet on the end of a rifle in their face

I'm not sure " butt-stroking" is a politically correct term in the 21st century anyway........

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3029 Posts

Posted - February 12 2018 :  4:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

The Shockwave with a PDW brace more or less ‘mimics’ a stocked SBS in size, without all the legal hassles associated with the latter. But I’m not sure how solid the brace would be when it comes to butt-stroking someone with it?

My guess is that it won't be nearly as effective as a solid piece of hardwood... and might easily break. But, that's just a guess, because I'm not gonna take one of those spindly folding 'thingys' and find out.

OTOH, I'm not much of a 'butt stroke kinda guy'. If he/her gets that close I'll just shove the shotgun into their surprised hands... tell them "Here, hold this"...while I draw a pistol and ventilate them.

Then I can get my shotgun back

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on February 12 2018 4:36:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4575 Posts

Posted - February 13 2018 :  10:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That seems to be the main advantage of putting a brace on a Tac-14 or Shockwave, you've got what amounts to a stocked shotgun with a short barrel, without having to register as a SBS with ATF.

Not as good as a solid stock, but sounds like it would work better than the raptor grip for most purposes.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on February 13 2018 10:50:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
158 Posts

Posted - February 13 2018 :  5:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my part of the world it takes a sorry scandrell not to crow about his own coon dog. That said my 12" 870 with 12" LOP is an amazing tool. It has standard rifle sights on it and at 100 yards Ray Charles can't miss a tractor disc with any 1 oz slug. By the same token, shooting at a 4X8 sheet of plywood at 100 yards with any good 00 or 000 buckshot, it won't deliver a single pellet on target. It is a .72 caliber carbine.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9501 Posts

Posted - February 14 2018 :  08:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yonder

[quote]Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

I really like the idea of a short barreled shotgun (SBS) *with a good solid stock* and almost papered one at the same time I did my SBR.

But, I keep going back to what Chris says - not only is it a hassle for shaving about 4" off my regular scatter gun, then you have to notify the ATF in advance if you take it out of state.

I don't regret going trough the hassle for my little rifle, "Mr. Shorty", but I won't do it again, unless the ATF reverses itself yet again on the brace.

ARs are so easy to take down, I'm not sure that the short ones are worth it unless you have a suppressor - and that is why I went that route myself.

Jim

Maybe this is a tangent for a new thread. What is the configuration of your SBR? I came into 357 Ranch Hand for a hundred bucks with the inclination to SBR it.

Yonder, to save space it is covered over in the Rifle Rack under the thread "Mr. Shorty" but it was likely a couple years back.

Short answer(pardon the pun) is that it is an MGI "Hydra" AR in 5.56, .300 Blackout, 7.62 X 39 and soon to be 6.8 SPC (it also can be converted to pistol calibers as well). It has quick change mag wells (the 7.62 takes AK mags) and quick change barrels but I just change out the upper so I don't have to re-zero each caliber.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5050 Posts

Posted - February 14 2018 :  11:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about a laser on the Shockwave? Thinking about the tendency to point the guns high.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3029 Posts

Posted - February 14 2018 :  11:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

What about a laser on the Shockwave? Thinking about the tendency to point the guns high.

Jeff

Another thing to 'operate' when time is short and the gun, itself, is already a bit difficult to operate? That might help if time is plentiful... but...

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5050 Posts

Posted - February 14 2018 :  2:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

Jeff

Another thing to 'operate' when time is short and the gun, itself, is already a bit difficult to operate? That might help if time is plentiful... but...

Hmmm... Same reason I haven't put lasers on any of my guns yet.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3029 Posts

Posted - February 14 2018 :  3:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, I'm not against lasers. Just some that require separate actions to operate, like the type of laser that would get hooked on a Shockwave.

My nightstand gun is a .357 GP-100 with a Crimson Trace laser grip. It goes on if I grip the grip firmly... and it will almost light up my bedroom... so if things are close&fast I don't need to grab the flashlight sitting next the the revolver. I do like some lasers.....
when they work towards success... instead of just 'tacti-kewl'

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34188 Posts

Posted - February 14 2018 :  3:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are waiting for a very large check from IRS for overcharging us from 2003. No, they did not voluntarily admit it but our accountant found it.

Anyway, the wife said I could have 10% which will approx $1300 bucks so I'm thinking a Shock Wave might be viable and valuable. Every time I pick up any Remington product I am dissatisfied with the quality of their firearm.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5277 Posts

Posted - February 14 2018 :  7:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan are you getting the 12 or 20 Ga if you decide to buy one? I am thinking of getting one but I'm thinking 20GA for myself.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34188 Posts

Posted - February 14 2018 :  11:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at 75? 20 gauge!

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5277 Posts

Posted - February 15 2018 :  09:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I'm only 49, I want something I will feel like shooting for years to come. I also think the 20 gauge will work just fine for my needs.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3029 Posts

Posted - February 15 2018 :  11:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arvinator

While I'm only 49, I want something I will feel like shooting for years to come. I also think the 20 gauge will work just fine for my needs.

When it comes to close range home defense there is absolutely NOTHING
wrong with the standard #3 20 ga buckshot load.

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34188 Posts

Posted - February 15 2018 :  12:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SG Ammo has 20 gauge in a variety of flavors at decent prices.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4575 Posts

Posted - February 15 2018 :  2:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC the 20-gauge Shockwave is even handier-- lighter and thinner-- than it's big brother.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on February 15 2018 5:31:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

255 Posts

Posted - February 16 2018 :  09:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would like to try a laser mounted on front mag cap on shock wave. Out of way and doesn't increase it's profile. Gotta wonder if there isn't already one made?
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
158 Posts

Posted - February 16 2018 :  3:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As has been posted before about these, I went full BOZO and put a laser on the top of the receiver. It's ready to go. Sold the entire package. Out of 6 on the range we are now down to 3.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34188 Posts

Posted - February 16 2018 :  4:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the word goes down the toilet I'll load it with slugs and use it as a breech weapon

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3029 Posts

Posted - February 16 2018 :  4:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BatteryOaksBilly

As has been posted before about these, I went full BOZO and put a laser on the top of the receiver. It's ready to go. Sold the entire package. Out of 6 on the range we are now down to 3.

Seems like a telling statement when 50% of the owners decide to sell, or retire, them.

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34188 Posts

Posted - February 16 2018 :  7:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shooting one either converts you or collapses you!

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Vanman

USA
190 Posts

Posted - February 17 2018 :  12:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since it is the Indian and not the arrow, I'll stick with my 20 gauge 870 youth model.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4575 Posts

Posted - February 17 2018 :  07:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s the Indian, not the arrow, yes. But it’s not ‘one or the other’:

When a dangerous Indian gets ahold of a better arrow, he becomes even more dangerous.

Edited by - LittleBill on February 17 2018 08:27:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4575 Posts

Posted - February 17 2018 :  08:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

quote:
Originally posted by BatteryOaksBilly

Seems like a telling statement when 50% of the owners decide to sell, or retire, them.

Choice of weapons is a very personal thing. Often you can only tell what will work for you, by trying it and seeing.

Many people like Glocks, many others don’t. Some swear by the M1911, while others swear at them. Many folks love their ARs, others prefer AKs. Most can give you good, logical (for them) reasons for their choice.

Whatever works for one may— or may not— not work for you....

Somewhere I’ve heard it said that when it comes to making these choices, we each choose our own salvation.

Regarding the Shockwave, some like them, some don’t. Some find they can make them work, others not so much.

Nothing’s free: as many here have observed, you’re clearly giving up something when you lose the stock. But you’re also getting a shorter weapon that’s handier in some situations.

After pondering BatteryOaksBilly’s praise of his 12” SBS as possibly giving the best of both worlds, I’ve ordered a PDW brace for my Shockwave; thinking it might provide some of the benefits of a 14” SBS, but without all the ATF hassle and expense.

We’ll see....

I am thankful to be living in one of the few places in the world where manufacturers are free to come out with a ‘variation’ like the Shockwave, and ‘we the people’ are free to like it or not....

Edited by - LittleBill on February 17 2018 10:09:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4088 Posts

Posted - February 17 2018 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just to say, the jury is still out on whether these things will meet a legal test, the ATF blows with the political wind

also, the Federal government might be ok with it, but local jurisdictions are not.

the state of Ohio does not allow these for example, I think Texas has or is considering an exemption for the shockwave type.

so if you're traveling with it beware

same with a registered SBS

my state has only recently allowed registerd SBS/SBR

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.76seconds. Snitz Forums 2000