StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 115gr or 124gr for 9mm concealed carry?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Glocks
 115gr or 124gr for 9mm concealed carry?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Maciosaig
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  5:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all I've decided to stop carrying my four inch Smith and Wesson 686 plus loaded with Remington 125gr SJHP 357mag and start carrying a Glock model 45(9mm) and I'm just trying to get an idea of what's the optimal ammunition to use. Currently I have a sufficient supply of Cor-Bon and Underwood 115gr 9mm plus P to train and carry with as well as Federal mm HST 124gr plus P and HST 147gr standard pressure. I live in Houston Texas,crime has been getting worse by the hour seemingly, and as much as I avoid the hotspots I have to drive through the city a few times a week with my teenage children. My train of thought was to carry the 147gr during the "winter" months here and 115gr +p all other times but I'm just not 100% confident I'd be well served with them over the 124gr HST +P. My concern is with the Glock 45 having a shorter than full size pistol barrel what ammo would serve me better?
Thank you in advance!

Edited by - Maciosaig on May 13 2022 5:29:51 PM

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5838 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  5:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I wouldn't worry about 147gr HST working in a Glock 48. Last year my grandson and I fired that load in his new Glock 43. The bullet penetrated three water jugs, coming to rest in the fourth. It looked exactly like the pictures you see in the ads. A pair of the little gems would make a nice set of earrings.

Given the cross section of quality ammo you have on hand, I believe I'd just go with whatever shoots closest to point of aim in your gun. As long as you hit the right spot, I doubt it will matter which specific load you use. If you don't hit the right spot, it will matter even less <Grin>.

Welcome to the forum!

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  6:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes any gun/cartridge will do, including a .22 short, and sometimes a .44 Magnum is not enough. The odds of success vary depending on just who you have to shoot and how determined they are (the majority of attackers are not very determined when you fight back).

I haven't carried a 9mm since around 1977 but there are plenty of times it has worked, jle's advice is not bad - carry what shoots to the sights.

I would not overlook the Hornady 135 Critical Duty - in either regular or +P, but I'm not knocking other loads when I say that.

Good luck,

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  08:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll third the motions above. Bad guys have been known to not react properly when shot, with 9mm or 99 Magnum; but as far as I know, none has ever said 'I'm offended because you shot me with the wrong bullet.' With the choices you mentioned, pick the one your gun likes best, and off you go.

Welcome to here. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Maciosaig
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  4:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the responses I know Im overthinking this with the quality ammo I have on hand however I feel awkward not carrying a revolver and wanted to approach this like a newbie and get advice from people who know better than me. I also found a few boxes of Remington Golden Saber 124gr plus p and a few boxes of Hornady Critical Duty 135gr plus p so I'll just see what one's are more accurate out of my barrel! Again thank you all very much !
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5838 Posts

Posted - May 15 2022 :  11:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being gun enthusiasts, we like to think about guns. Most of us have been fortunate to never to have been an actual SD shooting situation. So we enjoy studying and trying to make sense of an infinite number of variables, real and hypothetical. Most of us overthink the problem. We are aided and abetted by the constant barrage of marketing and new products from the firearms/accessory industry. Then there's the ever evolving "groupthink" from trainers, influencers, and fellow enthusiasts, many of whom have a vested interest in being out on the "cutting edge".

Long held hard learned lessons are sometimes bypassed, only to be "rediscovered" after a generation or two. But that's a whole 'nuther topic. I can hear some of the older guys chuckling....

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - May 15 2022 :  5:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my experiences with danger, I have had a few situations as a private citizen, and soldier who has not participated in active combat, but has seen war first hand. My greatest take away is having the right tool at hand, at the time of the event and being trained to use it. My very first exposure to one being in grave danger was when I was 4. My mother shot a small window glass out(1951 and I would not advise that now/worked for her) just below my bed, (I was in a room up stairs), to run off a drunken man who had ill intent toward her after my father was taken away with TB. This left an indelible mark in my mind. From early age I became aware of tools and later on learned what they were for. What it was stocked with, I am sure never crossed my mothers mind at that moment nor was the tool I had in my hand in one of my own emergencies, many years after the first incident.

That being said, it is wise to want the best tool, and training, and also stocked with the most effective ammo one can have. I think that is why gun guys wonder and study different ammo and tools for that unintended emergency situation. For sure our Gov agencies have done the same. Just look at all the research after the FBI shoot out, and even to this day. My I say we may have all benefited from those studies.

Jeff, they may be chuckling, but many of them old guys are the ones who also watched, and some participated in the studies and searches afterwards, and for the same reasons. I have done the same in my own way.

I don't begrudge anyone, for sure those new to self defense, looking and searching for the best. I consider it very wise, however experience has taught many here the most important things in any emergency. Many here have learned through experience, and even taught, and given many good advice about awareness, avoidance, training, don't go stupid places with stupid people, and if all else fails and a last resort, to be ready, willing, and have the hardware at hand. I try to keep my tools on me all my waking hours, and have them at hand during down times. I also want the best ammo. I pray "often" I will not be forced to use them.

If Robert is for real, I don't blame you brother. I sure none of us here consider this a bad question. Most all here have pondered and studies the same questions, at one time or the other, over the years. Get all the training and knowledge you can, but make sure you are in the right! I also advise you to get some training on how to manage yourself, afterwards, should you be forced to use your tools, if you haven't already. You did post you were approaching this like a newbie. I tailored my response as it would be to a newbie. May I also say I am no expert. Just coming from my life experiences. There are experts here, IMO.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on May 15 2022 5:27:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5838 Posts

Posted - May 15 2022 :  8:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope I haven't come across as being in any way opposed to serious consideration of choices in weapons or tactics. Goodness knows I do plenty of that myself! My only point was that it's easy to get all wrapped up in the latest gun, accessories, and the ever elusive magic bullet when we need to be putting more time and money into training and honing our shooting ability. In some circles today you just ain't cool and are sure to get killed on the street if you don't have a white light and a red dot optic on your 9mm blaster. Maybe it's just my own limitations, but I don't want to have to deal with electronic/optical systems management in a gunfight.

Bill Jordan, the WWII combat Marine, Border Patrol gunfighter, and renowned exhibition shooter, opined that a [person] who is getting shot at, or who is about to, has all the complication he needs. And that was just in describing his preference for revolvers over autopistols. 8-)

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - May 16 2022 :  08:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't mean to offend also Jeff. I too am kinda archaic because I still carry a revolver (7 shot 38/357 mag snubbie), most of the time, and don't feel under-gunned.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Dave in PA
Average Member

USA
495 Posts

Posted - May 16 2022 :  11:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add my (mostly worthless!) two cents...For the last number of years I have been more focused on the proper mindset, awareness and ability to be aggressive and willing if and when it is needed. I have always been a gun/gear/gadget guy and it's hard to not fall back into that way of thinking.

I was only in one gunfight and willingness and aggression helped save the day. And likely God offering mercy and grace towards me :) was probably more like it.

You got some good advice above and I sincerely hope it is all for naught and you never need to use any of it.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000