Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Big case of humble--ORF Quals Today
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Cop Corner
 Big case of humble--ORF Quals Today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - April 30 2022 :  1:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got home from the annual ORF qualification. Good to see some of the old guys, tell some of the same old stories, and the sad part, find out who won't be coming anymore.

Then, off to the range to 'prove' we're still capable of hitting the side of a barn. For myself, I got a double dose of humility served up. Made enough holes in the right part of the paper to pass, but it wasn't pretty. Had some misses in both sessions--we have to shoot both semi-auto and revawver if we plan to carry both--which wouldn't be too awful bad if the misses were at the longer ranges; but they all happened at the closer distances. Guess it's time to stop talking about dry-fire practice, and do more of it. Shooting at least one magazine full and one cylinder full each week would help, too--something I haven't done for quite a while with the cost and non-availability of ammo.

So, the serving of humble pie went well as dessert after dinner. But, even with all that, it was still good to see the guys. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - May 01 2022 :  6:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid that a lot of us will find the same problem. With restrictions in place I've not shot a lot, and having got what I think was omnicrom in January, then knee and hip issues in march I haven't walked much other than to the bed and bathroom. I haven't even felt like dry firing. Every time I go to the pain clinic for my bone and sciatic problems I get a questionnaire they ask if I'm depressed, I not depressed just discouraged that my body isn't being useful. There is hope on the horizon I went to an orthopedic doctor who figured out my knee issues and fixed that without needing a total knee yet. I have lost a lot of cartilage on the outside of my knee. I see the pain clinic about my hip/sciatica issues, if they don't do anything this time I'm going back to the orthopedic doc and have someone who knows bones figure it out.
I need to get better as I have 2 grandsons that want to learn how to shoot pistols. As soon as I can drive again without too much pain I'll take them up to the DWR range in SLC and show them how to shoot...

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5838 Posts

Posted - May 03 2022 :  7:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a feisty elderly female patient tell me once, "Honey, at my age if it don't hurt, it don't work." At eighty-five she described her job as "taking care of old people". I'm seven years short of that age, but I'm learning what she meant.

Between ammo shortages, costs, and primer scarcity I've shot very little since last year. I'll find out how much the shooting skills have diminished later this month when my Marine grandson gets home on leave. He's said he wants to go shooting because he has such fond memories of our days at the range. Something kinda got in my eye when I heard that. I started him on a CZ Scout when he was nine. (Marvelous little rifle BTW). Now he shoots Expert in the Corps. Maybe he can coach me back up to speed.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - May 04 2022 :  6:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

I had a feisty elderly female patient tell me once, "Honey, at my age if it don't hurt, it don't work." At eighty-five she described her job as "taking care of old people". I'm seven years short of that age, but I'm learning what she meant.

Between ammo shortages, costs, and primer scarcity I've shot very little since last year. I'll find out how much the shooting skills have diminished later this month when my Marine grandson gets home on leave. He's said he wants to go shooting because he has such fond memories of our days at the range. Something kinda got in my eye when I heard that. I started him on a CZ Scout when he was nine. (Marvelous little rifle BTW). Now he shoots Expert in the Corps. Maybe he can coach me back up to speed.

Jeff

My oldest Grandkids all shoot more from their dad teaching them to hunt and shoot. When he passed in a car accident the oldest two were off at college, but we would go visit as often as we could and I would always go shooting with my youngest grandson of my oldest daughter. He currently is serving a mission for our church but we have set dates for me to teach him to reload and him and his brother to take ole GPG (grandpagardner) on what will probably be my last bear hunt. The last time I shot my one and only black bear it took over 40 hours setting in a ground blind for one shot. If I get lucky again so be it. The bears in Northern Idaho are decimating the Elk and Deer in the area so removing them doesn't bother my sensibilities in the least. the wolves are as bad or worse but you just don't see them. The most enjoyable part was the time spent both alone pondering life, and time in camp after we came in talking and enjoying each others company. I took all 7 of my kids shooting when they were earlier, to instill gun safety and see if they were interested in doing more. Oldest daughter and youngest son were the only two that showed real interest. Although some of my son-in-laws have shown great interest. I have an airsoft gun that I shoot for far less than regular pistols and I can get supplies still. I can do that inside. I just need to build a good bb trap, they use plastic bb's.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5838 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  08:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never owned any airsoft guns but maybe I should. A few years back I took my sister and her two college age sons (Dad's deceased) to the range. Neither young man had ever fired a real gun, but they had airsoft guns. Both were immediately respectable with various firearms. The younger one was more accurate than 90% of the people you see at a public range. With ammo cost/supply the way it is maybe I should get myself one of those little "toy' guns.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

fsilber

USA
546 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  10:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

I've never owned any airsoft guns but maybe I should. A few years back I took my sister and her two college age sons (Dad's deceased) to the range. Neither young man had ever fired a real gun, but they had airsoft guns. Both were immediately respectable with various firearms. The younger one was more accurate than 90% of the people you see at a public range. With ammo cost/supply the way it is maybe I should get myself one of those little "toy' guns.

Jeff

When I was a kid we had those little plastic toy guns that shot little plastic 1" diameter disks like frisbees from a magazine of disks. I had gunfights with my little brother. He shot from the hip like on TV and couldn't hit anything. I discovered that if I looked down the top of the slide I always hit. (There were no sights on the toy gun.)

Decades later I read Jim Cirillo had independently discovered the same principle shooting real guns while on the NYPD Stakeout Squad when shooting in poor light.
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  10:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decades ago I bought each of my boys one of those Daisy .22 pellet pistols. Maybe 10 years ago I ran across them and after checking prices of new ones (HOLLY COW!), I got the kits and rebuilt them. The ~300 f/s velocity makes follow through very, very important and I can practice in the basement. Can, but haven't been, have been doing dry fire.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.17seconds. Snitz Forums 2000