Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Squirrel gun
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 Squirrel gun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - April 24 2022 :  9:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been having withdrawals from not being able to afford enough range time with the pistols. Got to thinking (uh-oh...) and realized I have several--probably too many--.22 rifles that I haven't shot in a long time. Since squirrel season opens June 1th around here, I decided to make sure each and every .22 is ready. So, been taking different ones out to the back yard periodically, checking scope zeros and ammo preferences for each. Even found an old, beat up Savage (or Stevens?) Model 24 .22/.410 over/under I'd kinda forgotten I had. Oiled it up, and it's still capable of hitting squirrels at short ranges (short because of the iron sights and my old eyes). Thought about Gorilla Glue-ing a scope mount on it, but that wouldn't really look right....
Anyway, got two or three more to check on. Gonna finish up with the Remington pump rifle my daddy got me when I was about nine years old. Then sit around and wait for June, and decide if getting out in the heat, ticks, and chiggers is worth the effort.

So, lots of babbling about a not-too-important subject; but I was feeling talkative tonight. Thanks for listening. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - April 25 2022 :  10:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to worry about babbling - at least I hope so, because I do a lot of babbling

I love .22s, always have. I have a 24C (.22 LR / 20 ga) sitting behind the desk as we speak - haven't shot it in a while, I need to correct that!

I just realized, I've had that gun for over half a century!

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - April 26 2022 :  09:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a rash of gray squirrels and they cost me about 3,000.00 in damage, not counting the inconvenience they caused, in the last 2 years. Chewed car wiring, RV holding tank (1,200. on this one), and was trying to get into my house attic through my open garage door. I called TN Wildlife Resource Agency and they told me if it was out of season and they were being a pest I could kill them but not allowed to eat them. I think I have fired one box of 555 Winchester 22 LR and about 2/3 Bx of another. Got some healthy fat foxes, cyotes, and possums around my house. I use my Marlin Mdl 60 with a 3 X 9 Leupold scope on it. Out of respect for neighbors I don't shoot before 8 AM and past 5 PM. I have thinned them considerably. Also purchased some CCI Sub Sonic 22 LR which is much quieter and the bullet segments on impact and cuts down over penetration. The CCI works well and also cycles in my mdl 60.

Interesting, we have some Red Squirrels, with white noses, and they have been her for 6 years. They never bother anything except feed on dropped food from my bird feeders. We have 2 pairs and they have raised young for 6 years now. They don't bother us so I don't shoot them. They stay her year round.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - April 26 2022 :  12:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the guns I 'fixed' is a Henry lever-action, shoots short/long/long rifle. Been using subsonic hollow points in it for a long time; squirrels hate it. Decided to change it (the 'fixed' part) and sight it in to short hollow points. Started with lead bullets because they're cheaper, nominally ~800fps--about as loud as a spit. Fine tuned it with the hollow points, ~1,000fps, which are a bit louder but still amazingly quiet. The magazine holds 22 of those, so theoretically I shouldn't need to carry extra ammo when hunting; if I can't get a limit of five tree rats out of 22 shots, something is wrong, right? Won't be too effective for longer range shots, but at any reasonable distance it otta be just right. Got a little 2.5x scope on it, which is aesthetically pleasing and helps it shoot raggedy little one-hole groups (when I do my part).

Some time back, we had a pair-and-a-half of black squirrels in the back yard, which aren't common in this area. I thought about shooting one and having it mounted, but decided not to, hoping they'd breed and start a population. Sadly, all three of them tried crossing the road at the wrong time, and just ended up feeding the crows. I'd hoped some of their relatives would come for the funeral, and stay to homestead; unfortunately it hasn't happened.

Also, remembered I still have the daughter's two little rifles here, left over from when she used to shoot them 30-odd years ago. Think I'll give them a workout, and maybe make one a truck/fishing gun. As small as they are, it would be almost as convenient as carrying a pistol; more accurate, too.

Starting to get a little eager for June to get here.... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5838 Posts

Posted - April 26 2022 :  4:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop Pop - So the law is that you can shoot nuisance squirrels out of season but can't eat them. What if you were to put them in the freezer until squirrel season opens? Could you eat them then? Questions like that get me into more trouble....

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - April 26 2022 :  6:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have the same dumb regulation here, regarding 'depredating' deers. Once, some town folks bought themselves a farm, and thought the large population of deers was gonna eat their profits. They got a depredation permit, and shot something like a couple dozen of them---leaving them lay in the field for the buzzards and scavengers. They weren't real popular with the neighbors for a long time...

TOM story: One of our patrol guys was a trapper, and made a good bit of money off hides. Late one night, our local game warden, who was a stickler for going by the book, found him picking up a road-kill coon and putting it in the trunk of his patrol car. GW commended him for removing the dead critter/hazard from the road. Our hero told him he does it all the time, and takes them home to skin and freeze until trapping season. He went home with a Fish and Game ticket---and a lesson learned. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - April 26 2022 :  7:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No jeff, they specifically told me not to skin and put them in my freezer. Can't use them in any way until 6 week season opens in the fall. I can take a limit of 6 per day at that time.

Ace,my reds have had 1 to 2 in their litters every year. They run the young ones off when they wean them. So far haven't lost any on the road as they go across it to get water out of the creek in front of our property. We don't have many reds here so I allow them to do their thing. They are 1/3 larger than the grays, and not a pest in any way. We had red squirrels around Mt. Sterling Ky, where I was born and lived until my senior trip in 66, but they never had white noses. These are kinda nice looking and nice to observe.

Edited to add; I shot a grey with my scoped Marlin 22 Magnum bolt gun and blew half of him away. It was total overkill.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on April 26 2022 7:35:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - April 27 2022 :  4:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop, there is a airgun show on facebook I've watched its from England and they use very high priced airguns 1000.00+ and the scopes aren't far behind. he has feeders that he sets up (for birds of course) fills them with peanuts and sets them up in a couple parts of the woodlot that he is trying to protect. I've watched him pop more than 10 greys in one setting. They damage the trees and keep the songbirds out of the area.
For mice my brother uses dryer cloths softener sheets in his vehicles all over. don't know if it would work for squirrels or not.
my 10/22 loves federal auto match. I bought a Taurus 22 pistol with a red dot to see if it would help me shoot better. haven't yet shot it yet due to my hip/knee issues.
good luck on keep squirrel problems. In Utah unless you are in the mountains we don't see to many where I'm at.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000