Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Just for fun
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 Just for fun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - April 09 2022 :  08:04:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I debated on putting this in the Rimfire section but since it involves wheelguns I decided to put it here (moderators may feel free to move it).

So, since my little (well OK major) health adventure last year, I have been trying to get a bit of exercise and since I have a range in my back yard, I walk, do some pushups (well "sort of" pushups which I call "geezer pushups" at 45 degrees) and work in a bit of shooting.

So, the weather has been sort of OK of late and I got out to do a little. My normal process is to walk down to the range where I have 3 shooting benches (that is about 200 yards down to the last one from the shop) and then I go from 25 yards back to 50 back to 75 (no bench there) and then 100 and shoot a shot after doing 5 geezer push ups at each bench as I go by. Now at each range I go up to the target and check the hit - if I have a miss I stop shooting but still make the round trip to the from the bench to the target - I have an app on my phone which measures the distance I walk and by the time I'm done I have walked a mile and have done 100 pushups. I've only fired about 10-12 rounds.

I got a new shot timer app (free) on my phone since my old one quit working and recently I decided to try it out so I took my old K-22 and shot some simple 1 shot drills from the low ready to check the timer at 25 yards...details on the time do not matter, since it is a .22 but in this case, though I was in no hurry, the longest time was 1.38 seconds (3 would have been fine for me).

I could not see my hits (on a paper target) but I was hoping to keep the shots in a 4X6" target. I shot standing, double action. When I went up to check the target I found that 4 of the hits were within a 1.5" group! One was out on the edge of the 4X6" area.

Now that is, by no means, what I was expecting, and I do believe what one can do on demand is what counts not what one does once - but I thought it worth sharing as a "even a blind hog roots up an acorn every now and then sort of thing"

Now I'm not much of a DA shooter, but I like wheelguns a lot! Especially OLD wheelguns. And this was a lot of fun.

I have an old K-38 that I might try it with next time I'm out.

The drills aren't particularly relevant to what we normally talk about here but I do sort of associate with Thomas Jefferson's famous line: "Let your gun accompany your walks" (or words to that effect).

Onward and Upward!

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - April 09 2022 :  11:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like more fun than just walking a mile or two, then ending up right where you started. Relatively cheap practice, too. Only bad thing is I feel almost motivated to go to a friend's place and do the same thing; dunno if I could handle that much motivation... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - April 10 2022 :  08:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace;

I typically shoot steel (since I'm lazy), but I have a two-page practice target (3 targets per page) that I use for the Hundred Yard walk. I can send anyone who sends me an email address, in case one finds a range that does not have handy targets.

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - April 12 2022 :  08:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I'd take one. Seems the email on my profile doesn't let things through, so you could send it to acebow44@doglegs.com--as long as you promise to keep it secret and not let any spammers have it. Thanks. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1037 Posts

Posted - April 12 2022 :  6:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you still have my email address. I'm always ready to add to my collection of "Jim Approved" targets. Thanks

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
Teddy Roosevelt - San Francisco, CA, May 13, 1903
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - April 13 2022 :  08:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garrett;

I'm sure I do but I do not have it on this computer, and I may not be on the old one anytime soon so send me a private email and I'll "educate" my new computer...or it will educate me, which seems more likely

Jim

Go to Top of Page

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1037 Posts

Posted - April 13 2022 :  6:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim. Just sent you an email using the forum software, but not sure if it went through.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - April 14 2022 :  06:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garrettwc

Thanks Jim. Just sent you an email using the forum software, but not sure if it went through.

Have not received it...yet.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1037 Posts

Posted - April 15 2022 :  6:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

quote:
Originally posted by garrettwc

Have not received it...yet.

Jim

Technology is great. when it works. I found my address book and used an email I had in there.

Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - April 27 2022 :  4:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been under the weather for the past month or so with Sciatic pain and knee pain. The hip xray showed some degeneration of the hip, going to the next orthopedic appointment in 45 minutes for my knee. Problem with the knee has been outside of ice nothing even opioids doesn't touch it. I rt knee has been my problem child for years first tried to take my knee cap off in the 70's on a motorcycle accident, then blew my ACL ligament on a snowmobile, that was just before the Olympics in SLC and I was a volunteer in communications in Park City where a lot of venues were held. They wouldn't do surgery until after the para= Olympics were over because of the fear of a 9=11 repeat. As long as I wore a brace then it was fine. not so much now.
Anyway I would love a target since where I go hasn't been developed and need to bring my own. Now since Ace trusts you to send his email address. mine is taken after the gun you love to hate. browninghipower1@gmail.com
I don't think I'm up to that much walking right now but hope to be soon. I caught the omnicrom in January, felt good in February and started walking for the first time all year, then wound up with sciatic pain in March and it's still going strong.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  1:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, the e-mail didn't have a picture attached. I replied to it just now, hopefully my 'puter will send it all the way. Sometimes it doesn't.

Also, just for fun, I've come up with an idea to get in some less expensive trigger time--not near as much exercise at the subject of this thread, but maybe helpful since I've let skills diminish. If it works out over time, I'll post a report. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - May 07 2022 :  08:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace;

Saw your email this AM, and I tried it again, let me know if they came through.

Do keep us posted on your progress!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - May 07 2022 :  08:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it, thanks Jim. I'll probably hafta hire somebody to shoot the 75 and 100 yard part. Heck, might hafat hire somebody just to see it for me. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34969 Posts

Posted - May 07 2022 :  2:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One knee replaced and am waiting until after our grandsons wedding in Utah at the end of July before I get cut again. The amt of Cartlidge in my right knee is worse than the left that has been fixed and my right leg is bowed so my lurching walk is still there.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - May 08 2022 :  08:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

One knee replaced and am waiting until after our grandsons wedding in Utah at the end of July before I get cut again. The amt of Cartlidge in my right knee is worse than the left that has been fixed and my right leg is bowed so my lurching walk is still there.

Getting old sure ain't for sissies - but it beats the alternative

I am gratified to see you are hanging in there!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2524 Posts

Posted - May 09 2022 :  4:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan, we need to get together if just to gab. Been missing your wisdom.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000