Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - alternative use for a 12 gauge
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 alternative use for a 12 gauge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - January 26 2022 :  12:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had some very heavy snow back the first week of January with a great number of trees went down. As a result, I've been spending a lot of time with a chainsaw (God bless whoever invented it!). However, I've also had a number of greenstick limb breaks where the limb didn't fully separate from the tree and was hanging by a strip of wood. Naturally, a few of those have been in places where either I can't get to it, or I don't want to risk it.

Lo and behold, a tight choked 12 gauge and 1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2s make a really decent tree trimmer, local laws and safe background permitting. My trimming was within about 25 feet of the muzzle and proper safety gear is necessary.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Edited by - WR Moore on January 30 2022 11:30:46 AM

billmc

647 Posts

Posted - January 26 2022 :  2:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no trash pickup where I live so I have to burn my trash. I've used my 12 ga to ventilate the barrel I use for burning. Its a lot faster and more fun than a more conventional means.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - January 27 2022 :  08:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've probably told this story before, so forgive me it if is a repeat, but some years ago (more years than I care to contemplate) but I had a new ammo building built by the vocational shop at the local high school and they delivered it on a flatbed truck.

I had a big pine tree with some limbs that blocked the truck from backing into the place I wanted the building and one of the kids in the truck aske me if I had a pole saw since it was out of reach.

I said no but I had something better and I went inside and got my High Standard riot gun (which has sights) and some lead BB sized shot and took down the 2" limb and a couple smaller ones.

The kid driving the truck smiled and said "I'm going to try that when I get home!"

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - January 27 2022 :  11:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a ladder stand needed taken down, the center brace had broken, and the top strap had loosened enough over time that made it too wobbly to climb the ladder. Didn't have a pole saw, but did have a shotgun and some turkey loads. Only took one shot to cut the strap.

Needed to ship a shotgun to an out-of-state FFL, but the neighborhood UPS wouldn't ship firearms; said I had to take it to the main office--over a half hour drive. I asked if I described it as a 'percussion-powered remote drill', could it be shipped as a tool. He said if I hadn't already told him it was a shotgun, that would have worked. Now I'm just waiting for the next time I need to ship a gun. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

billmc

647 Posts

Posted - January 27 2022 :  9:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a company I've been getting warranty work done. They provide the shipping label and they use UPS. On their provided label, the gun is described as "Finished Machine Parts".
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

321 Posts

Posted - January 27 2022 :  10:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billmc

There is a company I've been getting warranty work done. They provide the shipping label and they use UPS. On their provided label, the gun is described as "Finished Machine Parts".

They think they are being discreet by doing that, but the UPS and FedEx workers recognize the firearms manufacturers’ addresses. So don’t be surprised if they try to start conversations when dropping off, or signing for, your machine parts.

Edited by - Charlie Foxtrot on January 27 2022 10:01:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - January 28 2022 :  2:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I ship a gun, which is very seldom, I use "Machine Tools".

Jim H.

quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Had a ladder stand needed taken down, the center brace had broken, and the top strap had loosened enough over time that made it too wobbly to climb the ladder. Didn't have a pole saw, but did have a shotgun and some turkey loads. Only took one shot to cut the strap.

Needed to ship a shotgun to an out-of-state FFL, but the neighborhood UPS wouldn't ship firearms; said I had to take it to the main office--over a half hour drive. I asked if I described it as a 'percussion-powered remote drill', could it be shipped as a tool. He said if I hadn't already told him it was a shotgun, that would have worked. Now I'm just waiting for the next time I need to ship a gun. Ace

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - January 30 2022 :  11:36:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Works on green stick broken tree trunks too. Just takes a few more rounds. I was frustrated and picking up empties when it decided to fall down. I've got a pound or so of #5 shot around here somewhere. Need to load up some "tree cutters".

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3878 Posts

Posted - January 30 2022 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used a 12 gauge with 7 1/2 shot to cut down small saplings (less than three-inches diameter) and it works great. Use it like a breaching shotgun. Just stand out of the way when they fall. Beats the heack out of spending all that time with a saw

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2524 Posts

Posted - January 30 2022 :  4:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many years ago in the deer camp I was in they would shoot the top out of a pine for the annual
christmas tree. My trap door 45-70 was the favorite gun for hunting xmas trees.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000