Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Grandson/ Granddaughter
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 Grandson/ Granddaughter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - January 17 2022 :  8:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandson called me tonight and told me he and his sister went hunting today with a school mate. They harvested a squirrel and a dove. They are cleaning them both and his mother is going to cook them for the kids and his friend.

He said his friend goes to school with him and his father has a farm in the Charleston, S Carolina area. I gave Parker a Mossberg 20 Ga pump and Chloe a Ruger10 22 rifle. Parker is 13 and his sister is 11, but very small. She can outshoot Parker however both can hold their own. 

His friend could not believe the guns Parker has which I gave him and his sister. Son-in-law said the friend is eat up with hunting and fishing so it is my hope Parker and Chloe will gain a greater appreciation for the shooting and hunting thing.   

Their dads took them out today and spent 6 hours out with them. Parker's dad said ammo was really expensive. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT!  They stopped by at Palmetto Armory today to purchase ammo for the friend. Maybe SIL will appreciate what I gave them last year. 

I have another load of guns, and ammo I am going to take to them next month. Giving my guns away, to my grandchildren, before I pass on. Going to give Parker my father's guns because I know he will appreciate his great grandfathers guns. His friend already expressed astonishment about the 1953 model Savage 410 I gave Parker last year. My father gave me the 410 when I turned 8 many moons ago. I will be 74 next month. Chloe can rack the slide on my Glock Mdl 19 Gen 3 so I am taking that to her along with a couple others. Gave her a pristine S W model 10 38 Spl last year also.

No Ace, I didn't take you to raise! HA

Edited to add; By the way Ace, grandson Parker said they have some Ferrel Pigs not to far from where they live. They have plans to go on an adventure soon. I believe you like pig hunting. He is taking his Savage 308 on this one.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on January 17 2022 8:26:06 PM

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5838 Posts

Posted - January 17 2022 :  8:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandkids have started pre-inheriting a number of my guns as well. Which way does a gun serve better, as a safe queen or a treasured heirloom?

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - January 18 2022 :  11:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop, be careful about letting the kids start hunting hogs; it can become an addiction real easy. Next thing you know they'll be hanging out with other folks with the same interests, be arguing about 'this' or 'that' gun/caliber/bullet style, different methods of pursuing pork, wild game recipes, and on and on. Heck, they might even choose schools and jobs to accommodate their addiction. The best thing I get from your post is that they live close to a supply of viable targets; I almost--but not quite--wish pigs would get established around here; would be a lot cheaper to go after them, and easy to get access to properties. Tell the kids to enjoy their new 'hobby'; lot better than spending hours on video games.

I've been contemplating the 'early inheritance' idea for my little nephews and grandbaby. Already given a Redhawk .44 to one nephew, and a Commander-size 1911 to the other. Nothing to the 9-year-old grandbaby; her folks aren't ready for her to get involved with guns yet. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva
Average Member

USA
318 Posts

Posted - January 18 2022 :  3:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting grandkids interesting in guns is a really rewarding experience, isn't it? My granddaughter is the only one that is interested in firearms and shooting right now. I've taken her to the indoor range at my gun club and she really likes it. My gift to her for her 21st birthday was a S&W Victory .22. When she got it the first thing we did before the first range was I had her field strip and clean and lube it herself. It's really rewarding when you get that "When are we going again?" question.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34969 Posts

Posted - January 18 2022 :  8:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was an active gun writer it took three of us to get my gun safe shut&locked. Now due to issuing guns to kids and grandkids we own two rifles and 5 handguns. Seems about right

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - January 19 2022 :  09:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, Parker said they did not have a large number of wild hogs, but said the farmer told them they were growing in number fast. I am surprised they even have wild hogs off the coast in S Carolina. He said the farmer told them they could come any time and eradicate as many as they wished. Said it is getting where he can't even have a garden without putting electric fences around anything he wants to grow. The farmer said he thinks someone turned them loose because they wanted to get them established in that area and now they are out of control. Only thing he ask was for them to tell him when they were going to be hunting. I think the farm is several miles north of where they live and in land from the coast, however the farmer told them the hogs were spreading.

Both he and his sister love the outdoors and hunting and fishing. His dad has a fresh water/sea worthy 27' boat and they fish a lot. Whats more they harvest and eat what they catch, and hunt. They are all the time having fish fries and such. We have eaten some good seafood from Justin's "Big Green EGG" grill and fished for giant Red Fish in the Charleston bay area. They call it "The Low Country" down there.

Does my heart good to know Parker will cherish his Great Grandfathers guns as I have. Father's guns will soon be over 100 years old and many look in 80 to 90%. I told both of them, if they take good care of the guns, then thy can give them to their children if the Government don't take them???? Sad to say that! Looking worse every day.

Edited to add; I am with you on the remaining guns Evan. Only have plans to keep just what the misses and I really need. I started with 62 and have plans to keep 10. The misses can give them away. Before anyone chides me, yes I shot them all a some time or another. May I add I really enjoyed them during my lifetime.

Jeff, it is time for others to enjoy them now.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on January 19 2022 12:48:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34969 Posts

Posted - January 19 2022 :  8:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're happy with our small, small arsenal. We plan to hunker down where we are if things get desperate. If we have to relocate, we'll have a manageable number of guns and ammo and stuff. Used to think about about having/needing a bazillion rounds. Now, we'll focus on battlefield pickups

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5838 Posts

Posted - January 20 2022 :  09:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No matter how many guns we have, we will inevitably come down to favorite "go to" guns for given applications. The rest are mostly surplus safe queens and are probably best distributed to loved ones who may need them more than we do. I'm finding that the pride of ownership, having a prized but unused gun in the safe, does not match the joy of seeing your kids'(or grandkids) reactions when you pass it along to them. Both parties miss out on that experience if we wait 'til we're dead.

Edited to add: Experiences create memories. After we pass, the memories will remain. We should leave as many good ones as possible.

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on January 20 2022 09:18:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - January 20 2022 :  6:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should have seen my granddaughter's face when I handed my Glock mdl 19 and asked her to see if she could rack the slide. To my surprise, after I showed her the proper way to work the slide, she promptly did it the first time, and many subsequent times. I asked her if she wanted me to give the pistol to her, and a light went off in her eyes. I told her I would bring it the next time I traveled to S Carolina. She won't forget that moment for the rest of her life, and neither will I. I believe in giving to granddaughters as well as grandsons.

So right, Jeff.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - January 25 2022 :  09:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Son-In-Law face-timed me last evening wanting to know how to properly clean his Ruger 10 22, and the Mossberg 20 ga after they shot them. Said it was the first time he ever cleaned a firearm. He had purchased a combination cleaning kit. I talked him through it and we got them cleaned and oiled. Hope to go visit them next month and will go purchase them my cleaning stuff, because I like copper brushes soaked in Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner, first through the barrels, and gun oil instead of the red combo gunk he had in his kit. He also needs some patches because one does not spare them when cleaning. His kit only had 5 shotgun patches and 10 rifle/pistol patches. Old school Hoppes' can't be beat, IMO, and a good wipe down on the gun metal surfaces with the oil. I also like to clean and lube all moving parts and lightly oil them. Love the smell of the Hoppe's although they have tamed it somewhat in new stuff.

SIL and daughter lives in the Charleston S Carolina area and close to the beach. Salt air is hard on guns. I told him we will run a patch through all his guns and reoil them because of the salt air. At times your windshield will have a white film from the air down there, so salt is a problem with his guns.

I am going to have grandson and granddaughter to help me when I go through yearly cleaning his gun collection because they need to know how to properly clean their guns. I just hope they can get to keep them in their lifetime. I also want to inspect the guns to make sure yearly cleaning will preserve them in the salty air conditions. I never personally took care of guns there. Their dad is pretty sold on keeping the collection in good shape, which I am totally glad. He really takes excellent care of his boat which is a job when putting it in salt water like they do.

One wants care taken with such gifts which one passes on the the next generation so I figured I need to teach them good care skills. "Train them in the ways they shall go." What parents and grandparents need to do, IS IT NOT?

Edited to add; Most of my father's guns were purchased in the early 50's and are still in excellent condition even though he hunted most of his life. His care of them is why I can pass them on to my grandsons and granddaughters. I want to impress them that that will be the result if they do a good job of taking care, then they can pass them on to their grandkids in good condition even though they use them.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on January 25 2022 09:05:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - January 25 2022 :  11:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An unsolicited suggestion: Try a couple coats of Turtle Was on the exposed metal parts to protect against that salty air. We don't have the salt issue here, but it works to prevent rust and corrosion on guns that would be carried in the truck and patrol care, constantly exposed to heat/cold/damp/dry/humidity.

As a kid, some of my fondest memories with Dad was the regular gun maintenance times at the backyard picnic table. Sometimes we'd have to go out and shoot those pesky cans and hedge apples first, just to have a reason to clean the 'armament'. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - January 25 2022 :  12:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Turtle wax because that is what I use on my vehicles. So you think that will work in salty conditions. I have never tried using car wax but was aware of doing that before. Read about it in a gun maintenance article I read in a gun magazine. May give that a try Ace. May be better than oil because oil will absorb the salt if exposed to it, however I don't think a lot of it will be inside their home and the guns are in a safe most of the time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Got any more suggestions peeps. Just don't have a lot of experience with living close to a beach and dealing with salt in the air and its adverse effects on firearms. I know it gets a car after a short while.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on January 25 2022 12:46:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000