StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Ammo for Ruger LC9?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 Ammo for Ruger LC9?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5993 Posts

Posted - July 11 2021 :  1:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, the LC9 has a nominal 3" barrel. Which would be a decent, socially effective round to recommend for this platform, in particular between the 9BPLE and the Speer 124gr Gold Dot? IMI 124gr HP? What others? Thanks. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Evan
Administrator

34857 Posts

Posted - July 11 2021 :  2:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NYPD is very happy with the Speer 124 gr +p round and report goo results even out of Glock 26's and Kahr mini guns.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

dawei

USA
195 Posts

Posted - July 12 2021 :  3:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a first-generation circa 2011 Ruger® LC9; my gun is hammer-fired. My particular gun doesn't shoot well with either 115gr or 124gr; rather, it has a definite preference for 147gr ammunition. So far it shoots all 147gr ammo to POA. I practice with Winchester® 147gr FMJ #USA9MM1 and carry Winchester® Elite Defender® 147gr BJHP #S9MMPDB1.

Ace, I'm not suggesting that you should use 147gr ammo, rather just relating what I have learned about my LC9. YMMV.

Regards...

David

Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4given
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5608 Posts

Posted - July 12 2021 :  10:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Ruger LC9S is loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. They were affordable, available, and reliable when I was testing a few thru it. Been carrying it at times in a pocket holster when I'm cheating on my J frame .38 snub...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2019 Posts

Posted - July 13 2021 :  8:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, I’m assuming you have those 3 cartridges in stock already, so that’s why your focus is limited to them?

I think the LC9 is probably a little svelte for +P+ pressures—not much slide mass there to tame things, and I suspect you’d have a greater likelihood of problems. The 9BPLE might beat the gun up rather quickly, and the slide velocity may be too high for best reliability.

I’d lean towards testing the 124+P Gold Dot, first.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
870 Posts

Posted - July 15 2021 :  5:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm fond of Federal HST. Good luck finding any.
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
904 Posts

Posted - July 16 2021 :  06:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of the three you mentioned specifically, I'd go with the Gold Dot. Federal 124gr. +P HST or one of the good solid copper loads would be my top two. Speaking of that, Super-Vel has some 115gr. +P SCHP in stock as I type this.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5993 Posts

Posted - July 16 2021 :  08:30:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thank you all for the help, and apologize for being so long replying. I plan to get it test-shot today, as Momma and Gramma are headed out for a weekend trip. All the banging won't irritate Gramma, which has been a problem for her lately (an old age issue).

I'd forgotten about the '+P+' designation for the BPLE, so thanks for the reminder. I have some 115gr and 124gr practice loads, so first we'll see which of the two it likes better. Then I'll try the IMI 115gr and 124gr Gold Dot. Whichever it shoots best will be 'The Load'. Unless, of course, it turns out I just don't like the gun---but that doesn't happen often.

Keep it coming. Thanks again. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5993 Posts

Posted - July 16 2021 :  6:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, for now, it looks like the IMI 115gr will be the load of choice for this little pop gun. Tried some 124gr FMJ, ~12-15 yards (my backyard limit for distance), and got about a five-inch group at four or five inches high. Same distance, 115gr, about three inch group at one or two inches high. Both were to the left, which was easily fixed with an allen wrench on the rear sight. Tried the IMI load, the group actually shrunk just a tad, still a little high, but not enough to be a negative issue considering the purpose of the gun.

So, some dry-fire work, a dab of yellow and orange Sight Enhancement Compound on the front and rear respectively, and soon I'll have a different pocket BUG for the wardrobe. Or maybe make it a vest pocket gun, and keep the little .38 in the pants pocket. Is it OK to carry three at a time?

Comments, advice, and suggestions are still welcome. Ace

Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
421 Posts

Posted - July 17 2021 :  10:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've had good expansion from the Std. Pressure 124 grain Federal HST when you have a lot that actually achieves 1150 fps from a 4". Like Evan, I was a lot happier prior to discovering the chronograph. That load gets 1080-1090 from the LC9. About half the HST 124 grain Std Pressure lots fall far short of advertised velocity from duty length guns. I've tested several only hit 1090 out of a Glock 19. They will cycle the LC9 but will not reliably expand through several layers of fabric. My 124grain +P Gold Dot 9mm has the same problem. The lots of GD that actually hit >1200 fps from my Glock 19, achieve >1130 from the LCP & will expand when fired through multiple layers of fabric.

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1185 Posts

Posted - July 18 2021 :  09:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, have you tested the 115 gr.hollow point IMI load in any type of expansion/penetration material? I like the ammo, it shoots well in my 9s, and I have a few boxes left from when I bought it before the ammo well went dry. I have searched the internet for penetration/expansion data on this load and cannot find any.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5993 Posts

Posted - July 18 2021 :  7:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you asked, gaucho. Since that post, I've looked at a lot of videos of tests for that load--well, as many as I could find--and in gel it doesn't look real impressive. Thinking maybe about getting something else with proven results. I'd like the 124gr +P Gold Dots, but that weight bullet in this particular gun, if I aimed at the shirt pocket it might hit the ear (cute way of saying it shoots way high). The few times I've almost had to shoot somebody, there didn't seem to be time to stop and remember to aim low.

Lotsa choices out there, and more ammo has been showing up lately, so something will work out. Thanks for the concern. Keep it coming. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3824 Posts

Posted - July 19 2021 :  5:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Glad you asked, gaucho. Since that post, I've looked at a lot of videos of tests for that load--well, as many as I could find--and in gel it doesn't look real impressive. Thinking maybe about getting something else with proven results. I'd like the 124gr +P Gold Dots, but that weight bullet in this particular gun, if I aimed at the shirt pocket it might hit the ear (cute way of saying it shoots way high). The few times I've almost had to shoot somebody, there didn't seem to be time to stop and remember to aim low.

Lotsa choices out there, and more ammo has been showing up lately, so something will work out. Thanks for the concern. Keep it coming. Ace

You could put a higher front sight on the gun to get it zeroed with 124 loads.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5993 Posts

Posted - July 19 2021 :  8:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or maybe just 'gorilla glue' a BB or something on top of the front sight?

I'm hoping to avoid that (the higher sight; the BB thing is supposed to be humorous). But it might come down to it. I did fix a high-shooting revawver once by filing down the rear sight; it worked, but it was ugly. Ace

Go to Top of Page

billmc

557 Posts

Posted - July 21 2021 :  12:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After following this thread I can say that I'm glad I never wasted any money on a chronograph. You guys have just confirmed for me, that not all my decisions have been bad.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2019 Posts

Posted - July 21 2021 :  11:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, I presumed you limited the original question to those three loads, because that’s all you had, or all you could get. As such, I didn’t want to recommend other loads, and limited my comments to those three.

If you have other loads available though, I would seek them rather than carrying the IMI load (knowing that the 9BPLE is unsuitable and the 124+P GD didn’t shoot close enough to POA in the gun).

It will do, but the Israeli bullet isn’t all that impressive, and you can do better without looking too hard. If you think a 115 grain load is the special sauce, due to sight regulation, I’d actually prefer the standard pressure 9BP to it, for example. Another 115 grain bullet to consider would be the Hornady Critical Defense. Both of those should do better than the IMI load.

Alas, there’s still major supply issues to contend with, so if you’re still limited to the three original choices, go with the IMI because it provides the best chance to put the bullet in the right place—which is the most important thing, as Evan has shown us.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5993 Posts

Posted - July 22 2021 :  08:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been wondering if the IMI load isn't more intended for their submachine guns, and maybe get better performance from the longer barrel/higher velocity.

And I will be looking at other options. I just kinda hoped one already on hand would be that 'special sauce' (now I'm hankering for a Big Mac). Ace

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000