Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Remington .22LR
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 Remington .22LR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3824 Posts

Posted - June 26 2021 :  10:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been very leery of Remington ammo during the last decade of Freedom Group ownership. I was hoping the new management would turn out a better product from the refurbished Arkansas factory. I got a chance to find out last week.
I was testing a new Ruger 10/22 left-hand Custom Shop gun, and found a 500 round box of new manufacture Remington Thunderbolt high-speed 40-grain lead. My years back experience with this load was that it was OK for plinking, but not something I'd want to use in any kind of match.
My mind changed. Half-inch groups at 50-yards and a 1.15-inch average at 100... from a .22 semi-auto. It outshot Eley Target and CCI 36-grain Mini-Mag HP.
I look forward to trying some more "new" Remington. It looks like the new folks take their job seriously.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Evan
Administrator

34857 Posts

Posted - June 26 2021 :  1:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like you I had very poor luck with Rem .22 An old friend is about to send me a Reising .22 that was designed as a trainer for the Reising SMG. I'll give it try with Rem.22

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1185 Posts

Posted - June 27 2021 :  09:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fortunately, I was able to find a half case of 9mm Golden Saber +P before the ammo supplies fell off the table. I have shot it in 3 of my 9mm handguns and they all digest it very well. Accuracy, feeding, and ejection have yielded no problems and I routinely carry this load in EDC. Lucky Gunner has tested
practically all available self defense loads in .380, 9mm, .40S&W, and .45acp. The results of these tests show the expansion/penetration in standard gelatin of the Golden Saber ammo compare favorably with those of Speer, Winchester, and Federal.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2492 Posts

Posted - June 28 2021 :  8:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I to have had good luck with thunder bolt .22s. They have been much better the Remingtons top of the line.. I like them even better after I file off the nose to make a semi wadcutter.

Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
904 Posts

Posted - June 29 2021 :  10:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During the 2012 ammo drought, I bought a 525 round box of the Golden Bullets only because there was very little else available and it was somewhat reasonably priced. Prior to that, I'd lost confidence in the quality of Remington rimfire due to many dud rounds, but once I loaded up and began firing, I was fairly impressed with it. It wasn't quite up to the standards of Remington ammo from around the time of my youth, but it fed and functioned just fine. About the only thing wrong with it was that the bullets seemed to be covered with a very thin coat of some kind of black grease that left my fingers grungy.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Redheeler
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - June 30 2021 :  11:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, Thatís good to hear. I, as you, had been cautious about buying the Remington Thunderbolts. Guess I will have to pick some up and give them another shot.

Edited by - Redheeler on June 30 2021 11:34:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3824 Posts

Posted - June 30 2021 :  11:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Redheeler

Chris, Thatís good to hear. I, as you, had been cautious about buying the Remington Thunderbolts. Guess I will have to pick some up and give them another shot.

I can't speak or how it will run in every gun, but from that 10/22 it was a nail-driver! I hadn't originally intended to run it at 50 and 100 yards, given my past experience. But at 25 yards a 5 round group cut one ragged hole I could have covered with a dime, and left change. That changed my mind, and at 50 and 100 it beat Eley Target and CCI 36 HP Mini Mag. That says something, to me, about the new management's efforts on quality control, and checking the specs on their .22LR tooling heads.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000