Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Mossberg 590 reliability
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 Mossberg 590 reliability
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Frogfoot

USA
904 Posts

Posted - April 10 2021 :  01:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I'm embarrassed to admit it, I'm the owner of a Mossberg 590 shotgun and have had it for nearly 22 years and in that time, I've only fired maybe a box or two through it because it misfed if I loaded the magazine with anything more than 3 rounds. Safe queen. It wouldn't feed until I closed the action whereupon it would eject the shell right out the loading port. I finally detail disassembled the thing a month or so ago and found a little lever in the magazine tube opening that put too much pressure on the metal case head and prevented it from feeding, so I did a little judicious grinding, polishing, refinishing and lubing and what do you know? Works like a charm!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5993 Posts

Posted - April 10 2021 :  08:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Musta been one of those the assembler was in a hurry to get off work Friday to make it to the big party, or partied too hard before putting it together Monday morning. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2019 Posts

Posted - April 25 2021 :  10:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what you described, I was thinking the shell latch needed a tune up. Sounds like that was the culprit! Now that you have it fixed, that 590 should run great for you. They’re tough and reliable guns—my favorite pump design.

I just taught a defensive shotgun class for our club, and there was a variety of guns out there. The pumps included several 870s, a Mossberg 500, an Ithaca 37, and a Benelli Nova. I know the 870 is accepted as the baseline in defensive shotgun circles, and it’s an excellent gun, but the way the Mossberg’s carrier/lifter works is superior, and I prefer the tang-mounted safety to the Remington’s cross bolt. I also like having the action release to the rear of the guard. The Remingtons work well, and the cross bolt safety is more convenient if you like pistol grips, but I’ll prefer a Mossberg every time.

Edited by - Ten Driver on April 25 2021 10:53:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000