Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Wild Turkeys
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 Wild Turkeys
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1430 Posts

Posted - March 19 2021 :  12:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday afternoon a lone turkey hen showed up at my bird feeder. This morning 9 hens showed up. One of them is a white hen with a little feather etching in black. She was here last year, but all the other turkeys were fighting her and she was solid white.  I'm guessing because she is off color with no cammo effect.  Even the 3 resident deer does were chasing her in our woods. The turkey hens seems to have accepted her in the flock this year.

There was also a bearded hen with them last year. She is back also, and has a double beard, about 5" long, this year. Both her and the white turkey are much larger. The males are not here yet, but if they do as they did last year, the males  will be following soon. I had 5 big toms and 5 jakes last year. Three of the big toms and one Jake were harvested last year. Be interesting to see how many males they are this year.

In years past we have had 2 large groups of hens, 30 in one group, and as many as 40 hens in the other one, with each group having different species of Toms shadowing  them. One species was the blue heads and the other is a much larger red faced male. Last year we only had 15 hens and the males. I guess predator's have taken a large toll on their numbers in our area. Also a local farmer is not raising the same crops as he did in years past.

I always have another neighbor come and hunt the males, and I suppose he will be calling me soon. He parks in my driveway, so he always tells me when he will be coming so I will expect him. I don't know exactly when turkey season opens, but after they show up I know it will be soon. Don't know if they(Nat Wild Turkey Federation) will have the big turkey expo in Nashville this year as the canceled it last year because of Coved. I may go and attend one day of the 3 days event, if they have it this year. 

Cool and wet here this morning and I guess I will stay in today. We have had 1 and 3/4 "rain in the last 24 hours.

Edited to add content;

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on March 19 2021 12:17:14 PM

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5946 Posts

Posted - March 19 2021 :  6:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in the last century, on one property I had access to, there was a local flock of maybe 15-20 hens that regularly showed up (never quite close enough for a shot) when I was bow hunting. Several of them were a really pale gray instead of the normal black/brown/bronze. They all got along OK, never saw any of the 'normal' birds be antagonistic to the 'odd' ones. Saw these birds for a couple of seasons, then the lighter ones kinds faded away. Turned out a guy a couple miles away had some white, domestic turkeys escape their pen, and apparently bred with the wild flock. I'd really like to have gotten one or two; my next door neighbor is a taxidermist, kinda specializes in turkeys. I would have enjoyed taking him a couple and tell him 'Do your magic', but it didn't pan out.

Looking forward to chasing some birds this spring; the brother is the turkey addict in the family, so he does all the scouting and preparing, and I just go sit where he tells me to. All he charges for the guide fee is lunch. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1430 Posts

Posted - March 20 2021 :  08:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with your turkey hunting this spring Ace. I have been cutting horse trails on my daughter's horse farm and don't have the time to hunt. One of the guys that regularly hunts our property is a friend I worked with for 25 years at the Post Office and his son. They take 4 or 5 every year. Last year the son's daughter (9 Y O)took a Jake. He like the fact I feed birds and it "sometimes" draws them onto our property. There is a 15 acer field adjacent to our property, and he and his son have harvested many turkeys out of that field over the last 15 years. Before then we did not have any wild turkeys. Do have a good spring guys.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5946 Posts

Posted - March 20 2021 :  09:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM story: Working at the archery/bait shop, got to hear a lot of stories over time. One guy was telling me about his son's first turkey hunt. The boy (about six years old) was really anxious to go, so on The Morning, Dad went to wake him up--two or three times. So Dad took a cup of coffee out on the deck to wait, had his bow with him. Living out in the country, it wasn't unusual for turkeys and deers to show up in the back yard. This particular morning, some turkeys showed up. Dad, tired of waiting for the boy, just shot one off the deck. When the boy finally came out, way too late to go out, Dad told him "I already did my hunt. Go pick up my bird for me.' The boy was sadly disappointed, but the next morning, when Dad went to wake him up to go out, the kid had slept in his hunting clothes and popped out of bed like an eager puppy. Lesson learned, I guess. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000