StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Air rifle coming!
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Air rifle coming!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5882 Posts

Posted - December 17 2020 :  8:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Momma and I just celebrated our 40th anniversary. We've reached the stage where we pretty much pick out our own gifts, so she is getting a couple of rings 'refurbished' so they'll stay on her finger, and look a little more fancier.
I got to order meself a new rifle--a Crosman Valiant pellet gun. It's the same make/model the brother has been using to protect the bird feeder from rampaging squirrels. I let him be the Beta tester, so got a good idea what to expect.
It should be here any day now. Hoping to get it in time to break it in and maybe take it to the childrens' house Christmas Eve and have the grandbaby shoot it.
If I remember the numbers, it should get about 1200fps or more, so it ain't like the old Daisy I had as a kid.
It's gonna be fun! Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - December 17 2020 :  8:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried a Ruger from Wal Mart, but could not get the scope to sight in. Should have known because the box had been re-taped. Hope you have much better results with yours. I have gone to CCI subsonic segmented 22LR for quieter ammo.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5882 Posts

Posted - December 17 2020 :  10:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read a number of reviews on different air guns that mentioned them being shipped with 'standard' scopes rather than air gun scopes. One of the few things I know about air guns is that regular scopes don't handle the recoil well, and lose zero badly. Wonder if Ruger might have done that? The brother's Crosman came with a CenterPointe scope, but it wasn't for an air gun. We'll see what comes with mine. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2465 Posts

Posted - December 18 2020 :  4:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any thoughts on a red dot on thhe spring guns?
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5882 Posts

Posted - December 18 2020 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadn't thought about that. Might be interesting to try.
Being a single-shot, I'd figure a scope or open sights would be more 'deliberate'; red dot seems more for quick, multiple shots. But I guess it doesn't have to be, huh? Ace

Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - December 18 2020 :  7:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve been kicking around getting a new pellet gun myself, so many choices. First though Iím going to try to repair the old Crosman 2200 I got when I was 17.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5882 Posts

Posted - December 21 2020 :  5:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's here! Just came to the door a little while ago. Got it unpacked, everything is there that is supposed to be. The scope is, as expected, a CenterPointe, 4x; not labeled as for air guns, but the box kinda indicates that it's supposed to be. Took it out back and did four shots with open sights. Two hit the 4" steel target, couldn't tell just where; two more shot just a bit low and right on a old political sign that holds targets. Adjusted the sight a bit, but will wait for more when my arm recovers. Dang thing is HARD to break over and cock. Hopefully that will get easier, either from use or from building muskles in the arms and shoulders. After it gets broken in--about a hundred shots, according to the instruction booklet (don't tell anyone I read the instructions)--I'll fine-tune the open sights, then try the scope. Hope it will hold zero. Don't know the brand scope rings they sent, but they look solid.

Anyway, it's here, and I'm planning to have a buncha fun with it. Ace

Oh, and I used the shipping box to wrap one of Momma's Christmas gifts--a selection of Oreo cookies. Hope she has a sense of humor. Ace again

Edited by - Ace on December 21 2020 5:32:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dave in PA
Average Member

USA
472 Posts

Posted - December 22 2020 :  10:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, I have nothing to add or offer regarding air rifles, but I want to say...you and others here make me actually laugh out loud sometimes. I really appreciate that.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - January 01 2021 :  09:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched a hunting show where the guy was shooting a Umearix Air Rifle. He took a 400 pound Scimitar Oryx with his Air Gun while hunting in Texas. It was a pass through shot and the animal walked 25 yards and fell. They make some wicked air guns now. Read where Lewis And Clark took 2 air rifles with them on their famous journey of discovery. They recorded taking animals for food, with the air rifles, in their journals.

Edited to add; Makes me wonder if the powers that be will attempt to ban air rifles and bows and arrows.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on January 01 2021 09:18:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5882 Posts

Posted - January 01 2021 :  11:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably only the AAR's--Assault Air Rifles. Mine will probably be safe, since it's only a single shot--or at least safe until I get the scope mounted and sighted in; then it will be a SAR--Sniper Air Rifle. Ace

Edited by - Ace on January 01 2021 11:29:28 AM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000