Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Glaser Silver in .45 ACP Performance
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Test Bed
 Glaser Silver in .45 ACP Performance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Two Bears
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - November 23 2020 :  12:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greeting from the Peoples Republic of California

I live an apartment in north LA County and not the best area so overpenetration is a REAL concern. I am interested in real world results and testing of the Glaser Silver .45 ACP for my Custom S&W 625 4". There are a lot of small children that live and play close but also some real two legged animals. My wife and I are elderly and we are trying to find a place to move but with covid it is proving to be a real challenge.

Watch your six.

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5656 Posts

Posted - November 24 2020 :  12:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two Bears - Given your age and experience I suspect any comments I make here will fall more under the heading of validation than advice.

I imagine you have already found the online videos showing .45ACP glaser results on gel blocks and dry wall. We give up vital penetration depth - only about 7 inches, more or less - in exchange for a pretty impressive, if shallow, wound channel. Caliber debates aside, I believe this is one situation when bigger (45ACP) is definitely better.

Any shooting situation is a sample of one, subject to countless variables. One thing we can depend on however is that, unless it hits a stud in the wall, any normally preferred defensive bullet that misses or over penetrates its target is going to penetrate into the neighbor's apartment. Once through the wall, these bullets seem to have an uncanny way of striking innocent victims with a frequency that defies statistical probability.

For those reasons I think it's safe to conclude:
A. Glasers are a candidate for "preferred load" for this particular application.
B. The bigger .45 bullet packs more shot than the .38, 357, 9mm alternatives; should blow a bigger hole; and may (???) penetrate deeper.
C The very light Glaser slug is likely to be more reliable from a revolver than an autoloader.

Parsing the question further probably gets us too deep into the weeds.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - November 24 2020 :  12:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked the Glazer Silver top because it had bigger pellets and penetrated a tad bit deeper. Don't know if they still make them.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 24 2020 12:57:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34774 Posts

Posted - November 24 2020 :  5:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glaser s out of production

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic