StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - In the market....
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 In the market....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5819 Posts

Posted - October 14 2020 :  10:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...for a miniature .22 single shot. Currently checking out the Keystone Cricket and Savage Rascal. So, for quality and accuracy and such, is one better than the other? Recommendations of other similar size make/model? This will mostly be a .22 Short plinker and little truck gun; maybe possibly a trainer for the grandbaby when Mommy is ready to let her start learning. All input gratefully accepted. Thanks Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

JD

USA
118 Posts

Posted - October 15 2020 :  3:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would highly recommend looking at the CZ Scout. It comes as a youth sized single shot, but you can replace the single shot adapter with a magazine and have a repeater. You can replace the youth stock with a full size stock and have an adult size rifle with a 16" barrel. Very adaptable and allows the rifle to to be modified as kids grow and become more proficient. Easy to mount a scope or red dot without having to resort to jury-rigged set up. I looked at all of the youth guns when my kids were little. The trouble with most of them is that they are just scaled down full size rifles and kids are not scaled down adults. Their necks are too long, their arms are too long... The CZ Scout is not a scaled down adult rifle, it is a rifle designed for kids and as such fit my kids far far better than anything else.

The other big advantage is that it is ACCURATE!!!!! My Scout will shoot 5 shot 50 yard groups that run right at 1/2" with decent ammo. It is one of the most accurate 22 rifles that I own, and others that I have fired have been just as accurate. I started my kids off with a red dot mounted on the rifle. Even a 5 year old can grasp the concept of "put the dot on what you want to hit and squeeze the trigger" Then they graduated to a scope and a 5 round magazine in place of the single shot adapter. Then as they got bigger, I put a full size stock on the rifle.

No way would I have anything other than a CZ scout for teaching a child to shoot.... My 2 cents...

JD
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5819 Posts

Posted - October 15 2020 :  9:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks JD. This one I wasn't aware of. Really like the single-shot/five shooter option. I have a 527 in 7.62x39, way more accurate than I am, even with Russkie ammo. I think accuracy is just a natural part of CZ rifles.

Have you tried .22 Shorts in it? Curious as to how that would work out. Even if Shorts won't work well, I could imagine Santa slipping a long brown box under the tree, one with 'CZ' markings on the side. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
883 Posts

Posted - October 17 2020 :  02:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in the early 90's, I picked up a Chipmunk Rifle and was quite impressed with the quality although, to be honest, I couldn't hardly hit a thing with it. Maybe it was just too small for me? Don't know.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

JD

USA
118 Posts

Posted - October 17 2020 :  1:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried 22 shorts in my CZ Scout. I just stick with 22 long rifle as they are easier to find and cover a broader spectrum from CCI Quiet up to hyper velocity hollow points...

JD
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.05seconds. Snitz Forums 2000