Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Time to prepare
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 Time to prepare
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5819 Posts

Posted - October 08 2020 :  7:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting closer to time get out in the field/woods and find different critters to take home for supper. Every year I 'plan' to get out more, get some exercise, fresh air and sunshine--it's more attractive when the weather is cooler--and put healthy meat in the freezer (or frying pan, whichever comes first). So this year, one of the plans is to spend some time chasing the wiley tree rat, try to re-live some of the good times I had when I was a kid. Squirrel hunting can be therapeutic; get out to a good spot, find an appropriate tree, hunker down in the sun, and occasionally wake up and see if any squirrels have happened by.

I have a bigger collection of firearms for that than I do for social work. Several old generic .22 rifles, a couple of .22 handguns, a couple of shotguns (a .22/.410 over/under and a 20 gauge pump) for those time they run too much.

Hopefully, once the leaves are gone, this load of gumption will still be going, and I actually get off the easy chair and get it done.

Who else is ready for some timber time? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

ASCTLC

762 Posts

Posted - October 10 2020 :  12:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got done with elk season (archery) and already anticipating next year.

The only other hunting I'm likely to do is goose season coming up. Although I'm really wanting to try pig hunting because I'd love to pack a few 'piglets' in the freezer for sausage, bbq and ground pork.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5523 Posts

Posted - October 18 2020 :  10:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take my grandson, and I hope we spend plenty of time in the woods and he learns a few things. Killing game? if all we kill is time, then it's a Blessing and well worth it.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5819 Posts

Posted - October 19 2020 :  10:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, I'm at Stage 4 on the hunting continuum; it's just good to be out, and if there's meat in the bag at the end of the day, good, but if not, that's OK too--depending on how far I have to drive to get the timber time. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

762 Posts

Posted - October 19 2020 :  12:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll echo the sentiment that just being out is therapeutic. This past archery season out here in CO the forest is crawling with people just out and about and every possible camp spot occupied (even some of my hidden ones).
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.05seconds. Snitz Forums 2000