Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - New Hunter of Pigs
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 New Hunter of Pigs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5993 Posts

Posted - February 25 2020 :  06:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heading out in a few minutes for an Oklahoma pig hunt. Got me, the brother, little nephew, a friend of his, and for his first time, the daughter's husband. I've been telling him for a long time I'd pay for his first trip, then if he likes it and wants to go again he'd have to save his pennies and pay his own way. Finally he agreed to give it a try. Started out kind of like 'OK, fine, I'll go just to shut you up', but as time grew nearer his attitude changed, and the daughter tells us he's really excited.

Worked him out on three different rifles, he picked the Ruger 'Murican .308 (with which he was shooting nickel-sized groups--not bad for someone who claims to have only shot a rifle a couple of times in his life.)

So, if things go like they're supposed to, we'll have a new pig popper in the family, and some pork for the smoker. Wish us good things. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - February 25 2020 :  4:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping you will do well and eradicate several of them pesky and destructive rascals. They do make pretty good eating, for sure the young sows. Some of the old boars are "rank"! I had both.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1521 Posts

Posted - February 26 2020 :  12:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always wanted to go with my Oldest daughters husband we talked about it but we lost him 3 years ago. As soon as his oldest son gets finished with school and earning a living I'll have to hit him up on a hunt. My Model 29 needs to take on a porker or two. Good luck.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5993 Posts

Posted - February 27 2020 :  6:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, a good time was had by all. Got there about noon Tuesday, went out and sat in stands and blinds that evening, all but one (out of five) came in with pork. I got both mine, one just before sunset, the second well after but the illuminated dot reticle in the scope did its job. The son-in-law (I can call him that now) did a fine job on a small, smoker-size pig. He got his second the next morning after a good spot-n-stalk time in the brush. Short story on that: He paired up with the other new member of the group (Eric, who is an accomplished pig popper), and after a bit they spotted some laying by a brush pile. Eric started encouraging him to 'Go ahead, shoot him!' Chris (the son-in-law/newbie) says 'Are you sure?' 'Yes, go ahead.' So Chris shot, the little black pig dropped and quivered, and Eric asked him why he shot that one. From Chris's perspective, he couldn't see the big red one that Eric meant. So he came home with a pair of ~40 pounders, which will give him a chance to give his smoker a good workout.
Other stories, but I won't waste the bandwidth on them. Upshot is, he had a really good time, definitely wants to go again (he'll pay his own way next time), and I have to figure out what to get him for Christmas. I'd love to able to give him a rifle set up just like mine that he borrowed (or just give him that one and get me a new one), but don't know if finances will allow.
Now, if we can get the 7-year-old grandbaby started with an air gun, then graduate her to bigger and better, maybe in two or three years we can get her hooked.... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - February 27 2020 :  9:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having been in on the demise of many of them I've always found them enjoyable to hunt. To be fair we use Redbone Hounds and they do a great job of " Baying ", them up but it is strictly fair chase and they all do not get collected thats for sure. I personally use a .45 Colt with upper end loads that haven't failed me and do a very good job of Harvesting said Hogs. Good luck and enjoy.

MSS

Edited by - Badge on February 27 2020 9:22:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5993 Posts

Posted - March 05 2020 :  3:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I had been assured that he had a really good time and wants to go again, but now there's evidence that he may be hooked (he likened me to a drug dealer, the first 'hit' was free, but from now on he has to pay--and he's apparently willing). Got an e-mail this morning, he has been talking to some of his co-workers, and some of them are interested in setting up another hunt together. He even sent a link to a place one of them had been to, who said he'd had a good time. About an hour longer drive (not a problem), less money for the same basic type of hunt (two days/two pigs), or much cheaper one-day hunts with no overnight stay, looks like decent accommodations (linens provided, bring your own towel), and reportedly plenty of pigs to choose from.

I may have created a monster. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Deputy25
Advanced Member

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - March 05 2020 :  7:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job Ace.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly