Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Which Rifle to Give A Young Hunter
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Which Rifle to Give A Young Hunter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - January 28 2020 :  08:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a new 7MM08, and a new 308 rifle, with a Weaver 2 to 9x40 scope, I purchased back in November. I want to give one of them to my 12 year old grandson, this fall, VIE his dad. Which caliber would be the best deer hunting rifle for my deer hunting grandson?

I know I will get a few differing opinions so just tell me why you made your choice between the two calibers. I know the 308, but not so with the 7MM 08. From the limited research I have done, the 08 is somewhat comparable to the 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington.

I would appreciate your opinions.

Pop Pop

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5773 Posts

Posted - January 28 2020 :  08:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The deers won't know the difference. IF I had those two calibers, in your type of situation, I'd probably give him the 7mm08; just as effective on critters as the other, a little less 'kick', and I wouldn't have to keep another caliber on the ammo shelf (that last one is just selfishness on my part). Unless the .308 already fits him better, and he's not recoil sensitive, and he happens to like it better....

Heck, let's simplify the question, and give him both. Now there's $.02 to spend however you want. (I'm looking forward to gun-giving time for my grandbaby.) Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3718 Posts

Posted - January 28 2020 :  09:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

The deers won't know the difference. IF I had those two calibers, in your type of situation, I'd probably give him the 7mm08; just as effective on critters as the other, a little less 'kick', and I wouldn't have to keep another caliber on the ammo shelf (that last one is just selfishness on my part). Unless the .308 already fits him better, and he's not recoil sensitive, and he happens to like it better....

Heck, let's simplify the question, and give him both. Now there's $.02 to spend however you want. (I'm looking forward to gun-giving time for my grandbaby.) Ace

+1. Same thing I would say.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

J Wagner

219 Posts

Posted - January 28 2020 :  10:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't disagree with Ace. But if I didn't already have deer rifles from .243 to .30/06, I've thought that I would choose a 7mm08 for an all-around cartridge.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5773 Posts

Posted - January 28 2020 :  1:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard that the 7mm08 came about when a guy dropped a box of .308 ammo in a mud puddle; when he got home and laid the ammo out to dry, the bullets had shrunk from 7.62 to 7mm, so he built a barrel for them, tried it, and liked it. Not sure if that's true, but I heard it at the gun shop, so.... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

946 Posts

Posted - January 28 2020 :  9:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also agree about the 7mm-08, especially for a youngster. My son and I have talked at length about a rifle for his 12 year old boy. We agree that it will be great for deer, as well as elk or black bear with heavier bullets. It will also be great for winter coyote hunting.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - January 29 2020 :  08:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies guys. This is not the same grandson that wanted the 6.5 Creedmoor, but my youngest grandson (Parker) who lives in S Carolina. I have decided to give him the 308 because it will be easier, and cheaper, to find ammo for it. This grandson has no idea he is getting this rifle. He is 11 now and I will take his dad to a FFL in Charleston and transfer the rifle to dad with the stipulation Parker gets it when he is old enough. I also have previously given him, a never fired by me, new Rem 1911A1 45 and I will also take it to him on this trip.

I gave Parker my scoped Marlin Mdl 336 30 30 a couple years ago and he hunts with it now. Has not killed anything yet, but enjoys the hunts with his friends and dad. Missed a doe recently, but that is hunting and he is learning.

As soon as it warms a little I will get the 308 out and sight in the scope before we take it to him in Mt Pleasant SC on our next trip. Will also sight in the 7MM 08 and make sure they are both in good condition, then make the trip. They are both the identical scoped (Weaver 2 to 9) Savage Axis rifles and the only different calibers.

I have another grandson, the one who wanted the Creedmoor, that I will give the 7MM 08 too when I am through with it. I will say my collection is thinning as I have decided to give the rifles and pistols to family before I pass. I gave this grandson's dad a new Sig mdl 250, 45 caliber pistol last week.

I seriously thought about your post Ace, but decided to give the 7MM 08 to the other grandson(Mason) because it is much like the 6.5 Creedmoor which he wanted and besides he has a 308. From the research on the 08 I have done, most seem to give the "slight" edge, over the Creedmoor, to the 7MM 08. Mason has taken 6 deer in the past 3 years, and the best one was a 131" 8 pointer he killed last year on his grandpa's farm and behind their home.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - January 29 2020 :  10:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent choice for picking one ammo is easier to find. While I am impressed with many different rifle rounds, I pick calibers that I can find ammo for with ease.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5597 Posts

Posted - January 30 2020 :  08:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would be amazed at how fast a 12 year old will outgrow a lighter "kid's and women" caliber like .243. I'll strongly back your choice of the .308. If he already handles .30/30 he'll probably handle the step up to .308. If not, various companies manufacture ".308 Lite" loads to bridge the gap. Better to give him a rifle you already own and that he'll stay with as a trusted heirloom than to give him something lighter that he'll want to upgrade in a surprisingly short period of time.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

289 Posts

Posted - January 31 2020 :  08:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plenty of good calibers. Perhaps insuring the rifle "fits" is important?
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000