StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Kinda got a hankering for....
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 Kinda got a hankering for....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5773 Posts

Posted - January 20 2020 :  6:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...a .22Magnum rifle--an impulse reaction after reading an article in an old magazine at a doctor's office.

Got a question: What experience have any of us had using this caliber for hunting; and how effective has it been on critters up to coyote size? I'd likely not use it on such large canines, on purpose, but just in case the opportunity should arise...

What caught my eye in the article, in particular, was the writer saying he was making head shots on squirrels out to something like 80 yards. Probably too far for me, but it might be fun to have a rig capable of that---and when I'd be 'done with it', a certain little nephew could certainly make it work. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - January 20 2020 :  7:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a 22 Mag rifle to dispatch a 90 lb Redbone Hound, that was killing newborn calves, a few years ago. He was charging me and as he loped toward me I hit him in the center of the chest. He looked like a stovepipe after 1 round of CCI 40 grain Maxi Mag ammo. I will say I was impressed that little gun "totally" gutted that animal. I was aiming for the head, but he jerked it upward, and the 40 grainer hit him in the center of his chest instead. The 22 mag is a big difference from a 22 LR. I have a Marlin bolt gun with a cheap Tasco 2X9X40 scope mounted on it. It will put 5 in a 1" circle at 70 yards. Ammo is kind of expensive to plink with 12. 15, dollars for 50 around here.

That is the only experience I have ever had with the 22 magnum.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25
Advanced Member

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - January 21 2020 :  8:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, I've taken several coyotes with a bolt action Marlin .22 mag. I shot a couple at night with a red light, they were inside of 50 yards. Both dropped at the shot. The others were taken at a slightly longer range in daylight. Both of those went down quickly as well. I use CCI Maxi-mags. I have not used the .22 mag on small game. In fact, my son borrowed it to snipe some marauding cirtters (possum) that were after his chickens, and I have been using my TC Pro-Hunter in .204 Ruger for fur.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5773 Posts

Posted - January 23 2020 :  12:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help, guys. The impulse has pretty much passed, and good common sense has kicked in. Likely I won't be seriously shopping for a new gun any time soon; then again if a really good deal pops up.... Momma shocked me into reality when she listed off the medical bills coming up.
Really don't need (sorry to use the 'N' word like that) another rifle in the rack, though the .22Mag wouldn't be a new caliber. Wish this would have come up when I had a more practical use for it. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.05seconds. Snitz Forums 2000