StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - All Out War Coming?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 All Out War Coming?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

oldmuleskinner

925 Posts

Posted - January 07 2020 :  8:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iran has attacked more US bases in Iraq tonight. Missle attacks! I think they made a huge mistake. Our response will most likely devastating.

Our daughter was just in the airport in Idaho Falls and the security was super high. She sent a picture of an airport officer caring an AR.

I am flying back to Spokane from Dallas, but was in DFW well before the attacks were made.

I'll be glued to the TV for a while when I get home.

Good Bless our troops and America and or allies!

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell

Evan
Administrator

34636 Posts

Posted - January 07 2020 :  9:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iran terrorist teams are already here. Have a bud who belongs to one of those groups that don't exist says they expect incidents here.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5578 Posts

Posted - January 07 2020 :  10:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Word at this time is no American casualties from the missile attack. A proportional response would be ...umm... darned if I know. Hit back hard and escalate what's now a simmering conflict? When it looks like the Iraqis don't really want us in their country anyway? If the Iraqi government wanted us there, where were they when our embassy was attacked? Incapable of effective action? Is this as good an exit opportunity as we're going to get?

Leave now and expect Iran to dominate the region AND to go nuclear for sure. Which they'll do anyway unless "somebody" takes out their capability.

I'd say hit back really hard if we're going to stay. Hold off and negotiate our way out if we're going to leave. The longer we go in the Middle East, the more I recall the Vietnam experience.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1958 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  12:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
15 missiles fired. Pentagon says most “missed their targets.” Nobody hurt.

I see 3 possible explanations:

1. Iranian tech sucks;
2. The Iranians missed on purpose, because this was a face-saving measure only, and they didn’t want to really provoke us—they’re scared;
3. We employed an air defense weapon that damaged or misdirected them (laser, kinetic, electronic)

I wouldn’t rule out any of them, but I suspect they were trying not to hurt anyone, because they chose poor targets. If they wanted an American body count, there were closer (giving us less reaction time to shelter) and more heavily populated targets to go after.

I don’t think it’s in the Iranian leadership’s best interest to start a shooting war with us, but they’re also worried about a popular uprising, and have to look strong, lest they incite a rebellion against themselves.

So, I think they did the missile strikes to show they “weren’t afraid of the Great Satan,” and keep their internal conflict at bay. They’re probably scared of what we’ll do next.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5733 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  06:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they're scared of what we do next. I also don't want us to go to war; but if we do, let's do it right and win it fast. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5578 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  08:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is usually the most likely. I'm inclined to go with Ten Driver's number 2.

Consider: Their top military guy gets unexpectedly whacked in the middle of the night by a Predator drone they probably didn't even know was there. From as high as the drone was flying, someone halfway around the world was able to single him out as he got off the plane; track the vehicles he and his party got into; and centerpunch them with two missiles at a time and place of the controller's choosing. And now a pissed off Trump is fixing to unload Allah knows what on them; their second rate overhyped military; and their all important refineries. For real. Their best bet: Talk tough; lob a few "revenge" missiles; hunker down and hope America doesn't really want to escalate. If they were serious they would have shot a lot more missiles.

What was Soleimani in Iraq to do? They could have launched larger proxy militia attacks on American military assets without him. Our intel thought it was a big enough deal to assassinate the guy. My bet: he wanted to capture the American embassy in Baghdad and use the hostages to prevent American retaliation for whatever further attacks he might commit in the entire Persian Gulf area. Or to force an American withdrawal from the theater. Last weeks' demonstrations may have been run by unarmed militia (military age males) to probe the embassy defenses and to see if the Iraqi military would come to the Americans' aid. (They didn't!). What greater coup than to restage the original Iranian hostage crisis, this time with higher stakes?

Anyway if I were a top Iranian general with delusions of grandeur, that would be at the top of my wish list. Otherwise he's looking at endless political and military stalemate with an untenable deteriorating economy and a restless Iranian population at his back. His situation called for a master stroke.

Just guessin' of course. H/T to Occam.

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on January 08 2020 08:22:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3682 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  09:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We undoubtably have their fixed missile sites, air bases, ammo storage complexes, radar/AA sites, and navel installations targeted.Plus others.They could be rendered inoperable in a day.

The Iranians have to know this. I tend to go with them missing deliberately, and just trying to make a face saving gesture at home. That would seem logical.The drawback is the Shiites aren't logical.

But, we still have the targeting data

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1958 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  11:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When our frigate got mined and damaged in the 80s, Ronaldus Magnus—the “Cowboy President” who made them blink and release the hostages—sank half their fleet in a day. They’re dealing with a new kind of cowboy now. This one wears fine, tailored suits, but he’s still not willing to turn a blind eye to their misdeeds.

The mullahs are worried about what he’ll do. They’re also worried about suppressing the growing revolt in their own country. If they look weak in response to the killing of their top man, it will encourage the protesters in the streets. If they land a real blow, the cowboy will eat their lunch.

So, lob a few missiles aimed at nothing and pretend you’re a tough guy. Then, hunker down and hope America will continue to be the adult in the relationship, and not hit back too hard. Also, pray that the Great Satan can keep Israel on a leash, because they’re getting weary of hearing you exclaim that you’re getting ready to perpetrate the next holocaust....

I’d love to be a fly on the wall and listen in on the conversations that have surely happened between POTUS, Putin, and Bibi Netanyahu!
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3682 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  12:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just heard President Trump's address to the nation. It appears that DC accepts that Iran was doing a face save for domestic consumption, and intended no casualties. He noted that Iran seemed to be "standing down" and the President seemed to be backing off from further US military action, in that regard. He also added more economic sanctions on Iran and called upon "the civilized world" (I thought that was a beautiful backhand to Iran) to confront Iran's terrorist actions.

My guess is that if Iran throttles down on their military stuff, Trump won't smack them back, and I believe he sent that message.

If Iran chooses to ignore it and continue, I suspect they'll get to know what it feels like to be a cockroach watching a combat boot descending upon them.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34636 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  12:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Bible and Book of Mormon both tell us that hard times are coming. Amazon sells emp proof bags. Buy some.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5487 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  8:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a box for my emergency electronic items. Computers not in the list. A few hand held 2 way radios, AM/FM battery radio, hand held CB radios, hand held police type scanner.

Every time a get a coupon for a "Free" little light at Harbor Freight Tools, I snatch it up. I have several and they use AAA batteries and I have some on hand for them.
Chem lights, multiple colors for marking as needed when things get ugly.
Food, water, medical stuff always working on to keep as least the 3 day supply of food & water (I'll leave it at that)

Simple hunting guns and hand tools go a long way when thing go real bad.

Read the Bible, Know your Savior folks...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
997 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  9:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read that a galvanized trash can (with lid) makes an effective Faraday cage. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? I do have a few EMP bags. My agency hands them out to secure cell phones and other seized electronic gear.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5487 Posts

Posted - January 09 2020 :  07:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a galvanized can with a larger cardboard box in it, then a metal tin, and a smaller cardboard box with my items in it. May be overkill but I carried 10 loaded mags for my AR when I was on patrol so I'm kinda use to the extra precaution...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2426 Posts

Posted - January 13 2020 :  09:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do I really need a faraday box? What would I put in it? If all other systems are down what good is a cell phone? These are legit questions that I have about the boxes. I am open to all suggestions. The one thing I have that might be of use is a old cb 12 volt radio.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5733 Posts

Posted - January 13 2020 :  2:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would parking your vehicle in a metal building protect the computer stuff? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34636 Posts

Posted - January 13 2020 :  2:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, no. Do a search on google

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1023 Posts

Posted - January 14 2020 :  11:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent some years working in the electrical generation sector. In the event of an EMP, maybe short of some military installations, you can kiss the electrical grid goodbye. The vast majority of load management is now done by computerized equipment. The new phone systems are just as bad. Where you once still had phone service if the lights went out, that's no longer necessarily true.

I know where there are some tank farms that one might be able to draw fuel from, but most seem to be dependent upon pumps to move the fuel. Drilling & tapping a discharge pipe by hand for a hose would seem to be a task only possible in fiction.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1156 Posts

Posted - January 14 2020 :  12:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know little about ElectroMagnetic Pulses. However, so much "stuff" in the modern world we live in is somehow supposedly vulnerable to EMP. Think garage door openers, all modern technology devices, automobiles, household wares like cooking stoves, appliances, alarm systems---all of which now employ some version of electronic technology. An EMP would probably return us to the day of horses and buggies, at least for some temporary period--of what duration, who knows?
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
756 Posts

Posted - January 14 2020 :  4:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I need to consider getting fitted for a suit of armor to protect my ICD.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1258 Posts

Posted - January 14 2020 :  8:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mind as well bend over and kiss your fanny good-bye..Bill

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

925 Posts

Posted - January 15 2020 :  02:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a true believer in EMP preparedness. If one were to occur, our nation would be devastated! I took Evan’s advice and ordered some EMP proof bags via Amazon.

Years ago, a friend of mine who was a sheet metal fabricator, made a camping box for me out of galvanized sheet metal. We used to do a lot of camping in a 14’ x16’ wall tent all year round, with a wood stove while hunting in the fall and winter. Today we have an RV, but I have very fond memories of the old days. I still have a 12’x20’ Cabelas outfitter tent, and it gets used several times in the winter by our church youth groups. Last year it stayed set up for about a month.

Anyway, back to the box. We used it for storing our food in the tent. Now it is one of my EMP Faraday boxes. I keep my two Honda 2000W generators in it, along with a large 110/12V converter and other miscellaneous electrical items.

I also have a five drawer metal file cabinet in the basement that stores my other electrical gear. I agree that cell phones would be worthless, but not AM/FM, CB, FRS and Ham radios. They all have a home in my Faraday file cabinet. The file cabinet also stores batteries…Alkaline and Eneloops, plus chargers. I store my non-EDC flashlights and lanterns there. I am sort of a flashlight junkie. I just bought a packet of three 500 lumen lanterns from Costco for about $25. They run on AA batts. I haven’t fired them up yet, but they look like they will be keepers. Probably will buy more for my kids for Christmas.

I also have a bunch of Ryobi 18V power tools and spare batteries. I am thinking that I need another large sheet metal box for storing them as well. My first exposure to the Ryobi tools was when I bought a set with about five different units plus batteries. I have become a Ryobi junkie as well. I started watching Craigslist and have bought a bunch of additional units over the last few years. As a result, my family is well equipped with them. Nothing beats a good battery powered hand tool…just have a few extra batteries. I have a friend who is a contractor and he is also a Ryobi fan. It is really nice not having to mess with extension cords and generators.

My Faraday box and file cabinet all have cardboard or plastic linings to protect the contents. I also have them grounded. There are differing opinions on whether they should be grounded or not, but …

Sorry for the rambling, but I’m a serious believer in being prepared, and electronics are important to protect.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

ber950
Average Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - January 15 2020 :  10:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RLS

Maybe I need to consider getting fitted for a suit of armor to protect my ICD.

Rick

Army did a study. Google it. Supposedly ICD's will survive an EMP. I had just assumed it would short out and kill me outright. Really messed with my plan.

God, Guns, and Guts made America free. Let's keep all three.
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1156 Posts

Posted - January 15 2020 :  1:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are ICDs? Thanks for enlightening me.
Go to Top of Page

ber950
Average Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - January 15 2020 :  1:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gauchobill

What are ICDs? Thanks for enlightening me.

Implanted Cardiac Defibrillator. Think pacemaker on steroids, it can do that job but also does the job of the Paddles to shock a heart back into correct rhythm.

God, Guns, and Guts made America free. Let's keep all three.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5578 Posts

Posted - January 16 2020 :  08:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will we have a zombie apocalypse having to fend off all the people whose ear pod devices suddenly don't work? I may have to binge watch that tv show for tactical training purposes.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2345 Posts

Posted - January 18 2020 :  11:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know our 1949 Suburban will start and run after an EMP event!

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000