Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Tom Givens New Old Book
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Training
 Tom Givens New Old Book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1211 Posts

Posted - January 03 2020 :  10:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased a copy of Tom Given's new/old book, "Concealed Carry Class-The ABCs of self-defense Tools and Tactics."

I did not read the first edition, but the copy I have now has pictures!!! A guy like me, "I lik-em."

It is a large paperback book 8 1/2 x 11, 272 pages. My sweetie ordered my copy from Amazon and it cost 23.00 after free shipping.

First 4 chapter titles, out of 30 in the book, 1. Why Carry A Concealed Weapon, 2. Legal Issues In Carrying A Handgun, 3. Appropriate Use Of Force, and 4. Principals Of Personal Defense. Last 2 chapters, 29. Continuing Education, 30. Practice Courses Of Fire.

For a slow to mind person such as I, "I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THE BOOK." Contains very practical and useful information. IMO, worth the time to read and money to purchase.

I am sure Tom will like for you to purchase also, if yve-a-mind-too.

Edited to add; Let me give you an excerpt from the chapter on awareness. Tom writes, Awareness and alertness are not, for most people, innate behavior traits. This is a learned behavior pattern, and like most skills is learned through repetition.

You should have been taught this as a child, but unfortunately, most children are not taught this or other vital social skills. One thousand years ago, all children were taught at a very early age to be aware, alert, and in tune with their surroundings. If they were inattentive, they might get eaten. One hundred years ago, children were taught to be aware and pay attention to their surroundings, or the hay bailer might tear off their arms or legs. In our time, if you fail to pay attention to your surroundings , someone might cut your throat. Each example is simply a different manifestation if the exact same problem.

On the street, you must be aware of your environment. If you know who is around you and what they are up to, you are in charge. If you don't know who is around you and what they are up to, YOU ARE MEAT. It's that simple.

Tom also gave a shout out to Jim Higginbotham, along with others in his introduction to the book, for teaching Tom at thing or two. Atta-boy-Jim!

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on January 03 2020 3:43:53 PM

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1211 Posts

Posted - January 12 2020 :  08:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading Tom Givens new book. It was my first time reading the new one. It is a great roadmap for someone starting their choice of adding the ability to protect one's life and the lives of loved ones with a gun. It has a lot of good information for the beginner to set goals for productive beneficial training so one will do it with the goal of bettering themselves rather than just going to a range and bustin caps while punching paper and plinking. Also gives good all around advice on how to be aware while we concealed carry, and establishing a proper mindset while gaining the skills to be effective with your chosen tools. Gives recommendation on hardware and selection of one's chosen tools.

I thought the line he had in it about concealed carry, "You need to realize that when you strap on a gun you may be forced to kill someone with it," (Paraphrasing from memory) was a very important statement. Goes a long way with cultivating a proper mindset.

I highly recommend the book, even for old timers because we all need to be reminded of the seriousness of what we do when we carry, and the responsibility we incur because of that very personal decision. We owe it to our families, loved ones, and ourselves, to be trained to use our tools to the best of our ability. Tom said, (again paraphrasing) "When you hold a gun in your hand, you possess the power over life over death." That is a huge responsibility, and It's not to be taken lightly by any.

Serious stuff guys, as most of you know.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

925 Posts

Posted - January 12 2020 :  1:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my copy and look forward to reading it. I have some family members and friends with whom I will share it, once I've read it.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000