Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Ruger 57
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Ruger 57
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Frogfoot

USA
869 Posts

Posted - January 03 2020 :  01:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At one time, I'd considered getting an FN Five-seveN, but the price seemed pretty steep then and it didn't go down in the years since. Now on the other hand, Ruger has developed a much more budget friendly pistol in the 5.7 x 28 chambering and Speer has in development a 40-grain Gold Dot load to go with it. I don't know about you, but it's definitely on my radar. What do you think?

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5733 Posts

Posted - January 03 2020 :  10:18:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think KelTec makes a much cheaper .22 Magnum pistol, if you'd be lucky enough to find one that functions reliably. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34636 Posts

Posted - January 03 2020 :  1:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Ed and I were wrapping up the 3rd book Bill Forson then with FN bought both the P90 and the FN pistol down to Eds place. Their penetration in gelatin was deep enough o raise concerns about penetration in soft body armor. Such a capability may be be really needed as the world has shifted closer to the pit!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2762 Posts

Posted - January 04 2020 :  2:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the 5.7 is a very useful cartridge with correct type bullets for some niches.

It gives you approximately 22 WMR Rifle performance from a pistol and the ammo is light and compact. Think weight is about half that of 9x19.

So as a woods gun to compliment a 44 or 45 wheelgun for example.

Or to compliment a rifle when hunting. It's certainly powerful enough for finishing shots on game, but would also work for small game if needed or for signaling purposes.

I've seen some people discuss its utility for downed pilot pistol.
Go to Top of Page

hopleyyeaton

USA
129 Posts

Posted - January 04 2020 :  10:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC the Five-seven is what Maj. Hasan used in the attack at Fort Hood about 10 years ago with deadly effect.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1958 Posts

Posted - January 07 2020 :  11:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see that, Evan. FN offers several variations of ammo, and the MIL-only stuff is certainly a deep penetrator. The commercial stuff is less of a threat, but still nothing to sneeze at.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34636 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  12:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just thinking that one might be wise to have a Ruger and Makarov. The former for the invader and that latter for battlefield pickup!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5733 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  2:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the old gun shop--now closed--the boss was prone to telling people that out of the pistol, the 5.7 bullet didn't start dropping until past 200 yards. Any wonder why the shop closed?

As I recall, when I did a bit of research on the new caliber, it seems the ballistics kinda made it a .22Magnum Magnum, or maybe a .223Short. There was a lot of hype out there, but I couldn't see that it was all that impressive. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5578 Posts

Posted - January 08 2020 :  2:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A niche caliber in search of a niche?

JLE

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9849 Posts

Posted - January 14 2020 :  5:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dov

I think the 5.7 is a very useful cartridge with correct type bullets for some niches.

It gives you approximately 22 WMR Rifle performance from a pistol and the ammo is light and compact. Think weight is about half that of 9x19.

So as a woods gun to compliment a 44 or 45 wheelgun for example.

Or to compliment a rifle when hunting. It's certainly powerful enough for finishing shots on game, but would also work for small game if needed or for signaling purposes.

I've seen some people discuss its utility for downed pilot pistol.

I've actually done a bit of work with both the Five-seven pistol and the P-90 16" carbine. Out of the carbine the 40 gr. loads are the equal of a .22 magnum out of a 6" revolver. The 27gr. loads step out at about 2100 from the 16", they get around 1700 from the pistol.

I won't share the work on a public forum on body armor. I did use the Police only load as well as the commercially available ones. I did not use the solid bullet load though.

There is a pistol round that actually gets what FN claims for the various weights - it is called the .22 TCM - I chronoed it on the same day I did the FN (only with 40 gr. bullets though) It equaled the 16" 5.7 carbine *with the 27 gr. bullet*, but in a 5" 1911.

Still, the 5.7 by 28 is a cute little round and is a lot easier to handload than the .22 Magnum (yes they make dies to load .22 WMR). I don't know if anyone is making primed brass any more though.

RIA makes a cute little bolt gun in the caliber (.22 TCM) and I've been trying to come up with an excuse not to buy one.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5733 Posts

Posted - January 15 2020 :  5:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So...if a 5.7 out of a 16" barrel is ~equivalent to a .22 Magnum out of a 6" barrel, and a .22 Magnum is ~equivalent to a .22LR out of a 16-18" barrel, that means a 5.7 out of a pistol barrel would be maybe ~equivalent to a, say, .22Long, maybe?

I wish the .22TCM would have come out back when I had a 'need' for another caliber. From the little I've heard from people who have used it, it seems more impressive than the 5.7---which isn't to say there weren't already loads out there that would be just as good. (It's a drag, sometimes, being old and skeptical.) Ace

Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2762 Posts

Posted - January 16 2020 :  01:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Iíve shot the 5.7 but not over a chrony.

But Iíve got notes from several sources including Brian Pearce from Jan or Feb 2010 Handloader that all got ~1700 FPS with the SS197 load with 40 grain bullet (well Pearce called it Hornady Vmax but think itís the SS197)from the pistol. Some of them got 1900+ with boutique 40 grain factory ammo, though who knows what pressure those were at.

Pearce lists 1600 FPS and change to 1800 FPS and change with 40 Vmax handloads from Fiveseven pistol.

The 22 WMR from 6Ē does something like 1300 FPS right?

Just trying to understand the discrepancy.

Edited by - Dov on January 16 2020 01:44:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2345 Posts

Posted - January 18 2020 :  11:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a Tokarev in 7.62x25 for a poor man's version?

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000