StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Barrel-mounted chronograph?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Speed Trap
 Barrel-mounted chronograph?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - November 28 2019 :  10:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The little nephew told me today he had picked up a chronograph that attaches to the gun barrel, and is supposed to give the muzzle velocity right off the gun. Sounds pretty handy, a lot less hassle setting up than the chronos I've seen, and might be useful and convenient at an indoor range--if it works. He said he followed the directions, but couldn't get the thing to function.at all. He'll be getting in touch with the company to see if they can help, but in the mean time, I'm curious if anyone here is familiar with such a gizmo? Assuming he just goofed setting it up, or he got a bad unit, would it be a good investment? A gimmick? Grab one for Christmas? Run away screaming?
Thanks for any input. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Evan
Administrator

34603 Posts

Posted - November 29 2019 :  8:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every time I've got the gun too close to the chrono I've gotten false reading from muzzle blast.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - November 29 2019 :  8:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, been wondering how this little gadget would deal with that.
When we used the chrono at the archery shop, muzzle blast wasn't an issue, but it was hard to get some of the guys to keep their arrows in the center of the sensor rod thingies. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9845 Posts

Posted - December 02 2019 :  11:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used them. For rifles or perhaps even revolvers or fixed barrel pistols they seem accurate but at least half of my chronographing is with autos without fixed barrels.

Tapered barrels are another problem - you need a good set of adapters to allow for barrels with a heavy taper (normally they are not tapered enough to bother).

I think I'll skip the barrel mounted ones but I am watching the Labradar you just sit on the bench and which not only calculates velocity at the muzzle does it downrange as well.

Jim H

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.05seconds. Snitz Forums 2000