Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Thanksgiving
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Thanksgiving
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - November 28 2019 :  08:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a house full of family, and a lot to be thankful for. Going to be a good day at "Reed Manor". Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Pop Pop

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - November 28 2019 :  6:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had our usual big Thanksgiving extended family get together, but this one was more poignant than usual.

One daughter and her husband and his kids went to Louisville to see his ailing father (Dementia) and aunt (Chemotherapy - recurrent cancer).

A niece was there with her seven year old adopted Chinese daughter who is finally showing good improvement after battling Leukemia since August.

There was an unfilled void left by a close family member who passed in May from ovarian cancer. Initial complaint to diagnosis to death: 36 days.

Sitting at our table was my wife's cousin, who a few years back survived endometrial cancer, plus two non small cell lung tumors found quite by accident during a scan for complications of the known endometrial tumor. She has never smoked a cigarette in her life.

Thankful? Yes, and prayerful for the as yet unresolved situations.

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on November 28 2019 6:46:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5475 Posts

Posted - November 28 2019 :  7:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stayed home dog sitting. Lucy-Dog has to have surgery Monday and could not travel. The wife went with family.

I did run to Walmart and saw two Mormon Missionaries out working and they left on bicycles. It was raining, and 39 degrees. I caught them before they left and offered them a ride and they loaded up the bikes in my truck and they accepted my ride. I took them across town to a address they were going to.

Both young men were from AZ, and I offered to say a Prayer with them and I did.

Even a back pew Baptist knows that we are all God's children.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - November 28 2019 :  8:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We missed our traditional range time due to rain and sleet, and ~20-25% of the usual attendees were out due to illness, so that was a bit of a downer. Having more room in the house because of the missing was a plus, since nobody could (or wanted to) sit out on the deck in the rain. But with all that, there was more food than needed--as usual--and lots of good cheer and conversation, and appreciation for the family fellowship.
I understand we're not supposed to discuss politics and religion around the Turkey Table, so we didn't. Saved it for afterwards when everybody was milling around catching up on family matters. Got informed by the college-freshman-political-science-studying great niece that the reason Republicans are racist and Dems are not---even though the Dem party is historically the side that fought to keep slavery, then formed the Klan to 'control' the freed slaves, then struggled against all civil rights and desegregation laws, and so on---is because the original Republicans and Democrats have switched their old positions. I don't recall ever hearing that theory before.
But all in all, a good time was had, and at least some of the family actually remembered what the day memorializes---and it's not gratitude for the Indians teaching the Pilgrims how to plant corn. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2421 Posts

Posted - November 29 2019 :  09:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thanks was that both my wife and myself were home from hospital stays. My wife was in for eight days with fluid on her lungs (again) and I was in for three days with a massive nose bleed, unbelievable how much blood can pour out of a nose. Still, all is well now and for that I give thanks to the Lord. We did have a table laden with good food surrounded with family.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34603 Posts

Posted - November 29 2019 :  8:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We totally consumed two turkeys and side dishes. Today my two sons were getting the leafs out the the yard and off the roof when a Bald Eagle swooped down and snagged a squirrel. We live 1/2 mile form downtown Midland. Pretty exciting!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - December 05 2019 :  12:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I watched a Hawk pick off a squirrel in our back yard a couple days ago. I had shot it and not made it out to throw it over the fence. Guess Mr hawk was needing a good meal. The hawk looked strange flying off with the squirrel in its talons.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - December 05 2019 :  8:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sitting in the car having a shade-tree lunch once, watching a squirrel out doing squirrel things, when a hawk swooped in and nabbed him. Pinned him to the ground for several minutes, I figured he had killed it and I was gonna get a chance to watch him eat lunch. He didn't move, the squirrel didn't move, I didn't move, until I finally had to leave. As I slowly drove past the critters, the hawk jumped up and flew away--without the squirrel. The squirrel jumped up, scrambled up a tree, and started cussing like a fuzzy-red-tailed mule skinner; don't know if he was mad at me or the hawk.

All of which has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, unless the squirrel was grateful to be alive. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000