Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - New Deer Rifle
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 New Deer Rifle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1173 Posts

Posted - November 17 2019 :  2:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am thinking of purchasing a new deer rifle. Everyone is telling me to get a 6.5 Creedmoor. If you have any experience with the 6.5, please tell me why everyone is so stuck on the Creedmoor.

I am an old school 06 kind of man. Weatherby Vanguard 2 is said to be guaranteed to hold 1" at 100 yards.

Want to stay under $1,000.00 for rifle and scope. Also what scope would you purchase?

Pop Pop

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1153 Posts

Posted - November 17 2019 :  4:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would look for Ruger, Remington 700, and Savage in no particular order.
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
984 Posts

Posted - November 17 2019 :  9:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing a lot more of the 6.5 Creedmoor rifles in the field. From what I understand, they are very similar to the .260 Remington and the 6.5 Swede. Guys seem to like the performance of the 140 gr loads on deer, and the recoil is fairly light (never a bad thing). It sounds like a good round, and hunters are very enthusiastic about it.

As far as scopes go, almost all of mine have the gold ring on them.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - November 17 2019 :  9:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just the thought of having $1,000 in a hunting rifle makes my heart palpitate---more in a myocardial infarction way than 'love is in the air' way. My Scottish ancestors would rise up and beat me severely around the head and shoulders if I spent that much for a tool, if I could get good service out of something less extravagant. But that's in my social circle; others may disagree, and I'd be happy to sit around deer camp and fondle their expensive toys.

My chintzy little Ruger M77 and American in .308 are capable of 1" on those days my eyes are clear, my hand steady, and I do my part. Most of my scopes, like Deputy's, have gold rings on them (after years of using other brands, mostly to good effect); but they tend to come from the lower end of the product line. Not a single one of the deers, pigs, or paper targets down the years have seemed to mind a bit.

As to the Creedmore round, I was originally in the old duffer line, and figured it was just another wildcat caliber 'flash in the pan' round. My mind has been changed, based on the good publicity and the personal reports I've heard. If I was younger and had a serious need or want for another rifle caliber in the cabinet, one of those would likely be included; I just don't need (sorry to use the 'n' word like that) something new at this stage of the game.

Have fun shopping around, that's half the fun. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2756 Posts

Posted - November 17 2019 :  11:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The non magnum 6.5 mm's are a sweet spot for good trajectory & mild recoil combined with adequate performance for big game, and the Creedmore is the current popularity winner.

My understanding is it was more of a target round origin wise, though it actually has a bit less capacity than 260 Rem IIRC, because of its target shooting origins it tends to have more match type factory loads available than 260 Rem or 6.5x55 Swede.

The match loads do give it an edge for accuracy with paper punching though not sure that really applies if comparing big game hunting loads vs 260 Remington.

I view it as modern factory replacement for 257 Roberts for hunting, though unlike the Roberts it has solid factory ammo for serious paper punching.

I don’t think you can go wrong with a 30-06, or similar cartridge though, unless recoil was a major issue.

Or your wanting a really light rifle without brutal recoil, like for mountain sheep hunting.

For a scope lot of that is personal preference or mission dependent.

Personally I’d recommend Leupold 1-4/5; 2-7; or 3-9 for big game if your looking for something solid.

You can spend more for better glass if you’ve got the budget, though I wouldn’t personally go much cheaper than that.

Also IMHO most people get to hung up on MOA guns for hunting, for big game even 2 MOA certainly adequate for 300 yard shots if you can shoot to that level in the field.

Varmints or paper is another story.
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
868 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  01:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mossberg has quite a few Patriots chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with several of them factory equipped with a scope. One has a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 mounted. While not a Leupold, $409.00 is a pretty good price online. The Night Train has a 6-24x50 scope (scope manufacturer unknown) for $599.00 from the same vendor.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

USA
205 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  03:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop
I am thinking of purchasing a new deer rifle. ----- I am an old school 06 kind of man.
You say you want a new deer rifle, but let me ask what deer rifle do you use now? What rifle(s) have you used in years-gone-by?

What type of rifle are you considering? Single-Shot, Lever Action, Bolt Action, Pump Action or Semi-Auto?

What caliber do you use or have you used? What was lacking in performance with what you are using now or have used in the past? What calibers have you considered for deer hunting?

Where you plan to hunt deer, are they smaller-size, average size, or some larger-size deer be them Mule or Whitetail? What ranges do you usually take deer at?

quote:
Also what scope would you purchase?
Are you dedicated to using a scope-sighted rifle, or do you hunt more wooded locations where shots can be closer to mid-range (Whatever we might consider that to be)? Do you completely rule out open sights, or do you and your eyesight just favor using a scope?

In no order I'd consider rifles from CZ, Marlin, Mossberg, Remington, Ruger or Savage. Shop around for what scope you want, but I use a 1-4½ Leupold on one rifle and a 3-9 Bushnell on another. The rest have open sights which I generally prefer.

Caliber? Again, that's personal preference. I've deer hunted with a .223, .270, .30-'06, .30-30, .308, .350 Rem. Mag., .357 Mag. and .45-70. Why those calibers? Because other than the .350 Rem. Mag, all the other calibers are 'findable' almost anywhere I might travel, from small town to large. I didn't get a deer this year, or every year, but since '67 I have taken a lot of deer. In every single case they dropped-on-the-spot with one shot and I've never had to track a deer I shot.

And with all the calibers I have used when deer hunting, every deer was taken with a .30-30, using open sights. Age and health has had an affect on my eye-sight and I am starting to use and learn a scope on a few rifles, but my preference is still to rely on open-sights and continue to hunt and let the game get in closer.

I'm sure the 6.5 Creedmoor is an OK cartridge, but I am not into spending a lot of $$$ to buy one rifle and one scope in one 'glamor' caliber just to hunt one deer just once a year.

'840'

Yes, I too have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5475 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  07:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't hunt as much as I use to but I still own a few hunting rifles. The .65 Creedmoor is apparently a great round. Sounds much like the old 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser rifle cartridge.
I tend yo stick with what I can find at mom & pop stores and wally world in ammo choices. You'd be surprised what old men have killed with well worn plain ugly rifles from 30-30 on up to 30-06.

Enjoy your new rifle & caliber you choose.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  07:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could get a Ruger American in a suitable caliber for under $500. I'd add a Leupold or Burris 2-7 or 3-9 scope and have some money left for ammo.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  08:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Ace said, shopping around is half the fun. Does this have to be a new setup, or might winners be found hiding in the used racks of the local gun shops? Used guns can be a buyer beware situation, but so can today's newly manufactured examples. Mistakes can be traded off. I'm personally partial to older classics produced before some of the manufacturers started cutting corners on quality.

Caliber availability? I could be wrong, but I suspect rifles in the harder to find calibers were more likely to have been originally purchased by a serious shooter than by Bubba. Think mail order. You can find just about anything. Stock up a few extra boxes. How many rounds are fired on a hunting trip anyway?

There are two ways to go about this. A person can go into an big box sporting goods store for a one stop buy. Or go on a quest in the gun and pawn shops, or on Gunbroker and seek out something with a bit more pride of ownership. But that's just from old guy with a weakness for nostalgia.

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on November 18 2019 11:57:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1173 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  08:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I have considered the Ruger American along with the Weatherby Vanguard. I had a Vanguard in 30 06 which I can reload. Gave it to my grandson(15 y o) who killed a large 8 point with it last year. Gave my Marlin 336 to the other hunting grandson(11 y o) in Charleston SC last year. I am currently out of a big rifle capable of taking deer.

Mostly just shoot paper now with grandsons, and was looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor. Don't know if I will ever hunt again(may-be), but feel a big want for a good rifle capable of taking mid size deer around 100/200 yards. The $1,000 mark is a celling, and would be served even better around $500.00. That is why I have considered the Ruger and Weatherby. Not many Mossberg rifles locally, and lost my FFL dealer that I could get guns shipped through. He retired. My local gun store has a Thanksgiving Day customer appreciation days starting next week. They always have good prices on all their guns. He had a big selection of scoped Rugers.

I like Lupehold(S?), Burros, and Vortec scopes on the lower end side in price. I am in the chase stages now and enjoying looking. Will take a bargain if I can find one, but plan to have one by spring. I have hunted with 243, 30 30, 270, 30 06 and 12 Ga, with rifled brl, slug gun. All were adequate. Told my 15 Y O grandson I was considering a 6.5 and he lit up like a bulb. Said he had been reading about them and all his buddies were also.

The 15 Y O grandson is the one who I posted about getting burned. His Dr told him he was recouping so well he could deer hunt if he didn't scratches himself. He is elated and been chomping at the bit to get in his blind or tree stand. His mom said if dad went with him, they could this next weekend. The rut is starting this week around here in mid TN. Our pet doe, with 2 last years fawns, has been chased, the last 2 days, by a young 6 pointer. She lives in the woods behind our home. He has been in our back yard the last 3 days, at daylight, and several times per day. This has flung a large craving upon me.

It is always fun to go on the search for a new gun, and I thought if I purchase one I just might try the Creedmoor. I know it has been out for a while and just became the new flavor of the day. I know it is supposed to be a paper target long range gun, but everyone is sure preaching that caliber. I will not walk away form a good rifle bargain though.

It is 7:30 and I just heard a big rifle shot close by. Guess someone got one, hopefully. Just heard a follow up shot from the same direction. Oh-Well, Thanks for the advice, and comments guys.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  11:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 6.5 Creedmoor is a reiteration or slight improvement on the long established, well regarded 6.5 Swede. It's not as if this newer caliber isn't already a known quantity. If the caliber fits the mission profile, it's hard to see how a person could go wrong with that choice. It's more a matter of what's old is new again. Only maybe a little better?

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on November 18 2019 11:56:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3665 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  3:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a reiteration or slight improvement on the long established, well regarded 6.5 Swede. It's not as if this newer caliber isn't already a known quantity. If the caliber fits the mission profile, it's hard to see how a person could go wrong with that choice. It's more a matter of what's old is new again. Only maybe a little better?

Jeff

+1. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the 6.5 Swede in a slightly smaller case, with more efficient powders. It was developed to create a lighter recoiling rifle that would stay super-sonic at 1000 yards for target shooters. But, it does have 6.5 Swede ballistics and that is nothing to sneer at if you want an under 300 yard deer load. They use the 6.5 for moose in the Nordic countries and have no complaints.
A good 140 grain hunting bullet (and there are a number for the other 6.5s, like the .260 Rem) will be effective.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  3:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having Doc tell an avid hunter it's OK to go hunting is good medicine. After my first heart attack (the Big One), Doc got irritated because I demanded a stent instead of letting him open me up. Couldn't let him do open heart, because after all, it was deer season, and I'd not have been healed up enough to go before the season ended. He just didn't understand (and I didn't actually 'demand' a stent, but he tricked me, with the help of Momma and the brother).
Anyway, time in the stand or blind can have a major impact on attitude and mental game, which can have a major impact on healing. Hope the grandson gets all the benefits from being out. Glad to hear he's recuperating well. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1173 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  8:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, do you think the 260 Remington is as good as the Creedmoor? I got a guy trying to get me to look at the scoped 260 for $350. He purchased it new and said only 50 rounds through it. Not a bad price if it is as good as he says. He is within driving distance from me. Says he got all the papers from where he purchased it new.

What is your thoughts on the 260?

Edited to add; The scope on the 260 is an Osprey 3x9x40. Don't know much about this brand scope. The rifle is a Savage mdl 11.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 18 2019 8:55:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1718 Posts

Posted - November 18 2019 :  11:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While not the Creedmore I have used the 6.5x55 Swede. Very good penetrator and mild recoil. I like it.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3665 Posts

Posted - November 19 2019 :  07:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Chris, do you think the 260 Remington is as good as the Creedmoor? I got a guy trying to get me to look at the scoped 260 for $350. He purchased it new and said only 50 rounds through it. Not a bad price if it is as good as he says. He is within driving distance from me. Says he got all the papers from where he purchased it new.

What is your thoughts on the 260?

Edited to add; The scope on the 260 is an Osprey 3x9x40. Don't know much about this brand scope. The rifle is a Savage mdl 11.

Pop Pop, If you're looking a an under 300 yard deer rifle with mild recoil there is nothing at all wrong with the 260. It's a good choice with 140 grain loads. All it is, essentially, is a .308 necked down to take 6.5mm bullets.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9845 Posts

Posted - November 19 2019 :  09:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop Pop,

I've had .260s since they came out, last week I killed my 5th and 6th deer with the caliber. 5 out of the six have gone down in their tracks the 6th, the only one I shot with my little Ruger Compact 16.5" gun, was facing me and he ran. I found him 25 yards from the spot where he was hit but there was no blood trail.

That bullet was an experiment with Remington factory Premium with a 125 gr CoreLokt plus (or something like that) but I suspect it ran because of the angle of the shot - no bone was hit.

The first deer I shot with my Remington Model 7 dressed 194 lbs, shot broadside thorough the shoulders with a Barnes 120 gr X-Bullet (this was before the TSX came out) it went down immediately - I did have to put a finisher in it with a .460 Rowland.

All the others have gone down instantly. Though the last one, an 8 pt buck that dressed 185, there was a little bit of drama.

I was hunting from the son's deer blind and failed to notice my sight offset and put the Nosler 125 gr. Partition squarely through the zipper slide! The deer was around 90 yards away and there are at least a dozen holes in the screen and flap where the zipper slide disintegrated and I suspect there are parts of the bullet that went through there - still the bullet hit about 4-5 inches higher than where I was aiming - it put him down on the spot breaking the near shoulder. I ran out of the blind and ended his struggles with the .480 Ruger.

Embarrassing as I'm always reminding rifle shooters about sight offset - geez what an amateurish stunt.

At any rate I agree with JLE3030 and Chris, the 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be a fine cartridge but it is no better than the Swede or the .260 (in fact it has slightly less case capacity than the .260 - I haven't checked the Swede but I suspect it is less than that as well - but that cartridge is loaded to less pressure I think).

Mind you the .260 is not my favorite cartridge by far, but my little model 7 weighs just 6 lbs with a scope and sling (loaded) - it is close to my favorite rifle for cruising the woods.

My favorite 6.5 is the 6.5-06 though I own a .264 Winchester magnum - the 6.5-06 will do everything a .264 will do - or within 200 fps - with a lot less powder and drama.

A good friend just lost a good buck, shot through the lungs apparently, with his .264 Win Mag - he followed the blood trail for 300 yards and it petered out (I've seen the same thing happen with .300 Win Mag).

In the end it boils down to bullet choice (will it go through) and placement.

The Ruger American seems to be a fine light rifle - in any caliber.

BTW - the Nosler factory 125 gets 2900 at the muzzle of the .260 - or so claimed, I haven't checked it - it kills everything I shoot and I really don't care whether it is actually 2900 or it is less.

I think I did check my 120 Barnes handloads - they got 2850 from the Model 7's 20 inch barrel.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9845 Posts

Posted - November 19 2019 :  09:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 840

quote:
I am thinking of purchasing a new deer rifle. ----- I am an old school 06 kind of man.
You say you want a new deer rifle, but let me ask what deer rifle do you use now? What rifle(s) have you used in years-gone-by?

What type of rifle are you considering? Single-Shot, Lever Action, Bolt Action, Pump Action or Semi-Auto?

What caliber do you use or have you used? What was lacking in performance with what you are using now or have used in the past? What calibers have you considered for deer hunting?

Where you plan to hunt deer, are they smaller-size, average size, or some larger-size deer be them Mule or Whitetail? What ranges do you usually take deer at?

quote:
Also what scope would you purchase?
Are you dedicated to using a scope-sighted rifle, or do you hunt more wooded locations where shots can be closer to mid-range (Whatever we might consider that to be)? Do you completely rule out open sights, or do you and your eyesight just favor using a scope?

In no order I'd consider rifles from CZ, Marlin, Mossberg, Remington, Ruger or Savage. Shop around for what scope you want, but I use a 1-4½ Leupold on one rifle and a 3-9 Bushnell on another. The rest have open sights which I generally prefer.

Caliber? Again, that's personal preference. I've deer hunted with a .223, .270, .30-'06, .30-30, .308, .350 Rem. Mag., .357 Mag. and .45-70. Why those calibers? Because other than the .350 Rem. Mag, all the other calibers are 'findable' almost anywhere I might travel, from small town to large. I didn't get a deer this year, or every year, but since '67 I have taken a lot of deer. In every single case they dropped-on-the-spot with one shot and I've never had to track a deer I shot.

And with all the calibers I have used when deer hunting, every deer was taken with a .30-30, using open sights. Age and health has had an affect on my eye-sight and I am starting to use and learn a scope on a few rifles, but my preference is still to rely on open-sights and continue to hunt and let the game get in closer.

I'm sure the 6.5 Creedmoor is an OK cartridge, but I am not into spending a lot of $$$ to buy one rifle and one scope in one 'glamor' caliber just to hunt one deer just once a year.

'840'

Well said.

One of my best friends marks his cartridge box each time he kills a deer. the current box he used 3 rounds to check the zero on his Marlin 30-30 (iron sights) and the box now has 15 marks on it for 15 deer killed, it had two rounds left.

He just emailed me yesterday and got two deer this year so far so now he has to open another box ;-)

Jim H.

Edited by - Jim Higginbotham on November 19 2019 09:44:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9845 Posts

Posted - November 19 2019 :  09:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM77

You could get a Ruger American in a suitable caliber for under $500. I'd add a Leupold or Burris 2-7 or 3-9 scope and have some money left for ammo.

Yep.

In fact last year I passed on an unfired, but sold as used, Ruger American .308 for $230, I think you can still get a Redfield Revolution , which is made by Leupold these days, for under $200.

Most slightly used Americans seem to go around $300 to $350 - I agree with Bob, it is a heck of a deal.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9845 Posts

Posted - November 19 2019 :  09:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see comments about optics that I certainly agree with. My .260 has a 2.5 to 8 (not because of choice but because of a deal on the scope)

I almost never take it off of 2.5 x - but then these days I hunt where ranges are typically short.

I once hunted in areas where ranges were way out there but I would never shoot at a deer at beyond 400 yards. Some deer walked out on the pipeline at a measured 440 yards and since I could not shoot any of them (it was bucks only that year) I scoped them and found that the 2-7 on the rifle I was shooting at the time was plenty for that range on 7X.

People tend to over scope their rifles. I zeroed a 6.5 Creedmoor Begarra rifle for a young man recently - it had a scope that went up to 36 power (I forget what the low power was - something like 10 or 12). Way too much scope!

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

Pat Taylor

USA
57 Posts

Posted - November 20 2019 :  01:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an online article out there on some tests done on the 6.5x47 , 6.5 creed and the .260 Rem for long range rifle competitions. The test had nothing to do with hunting and was focused on the rifle competitions this company was involved in. When it came to the end it was pretty much pick a color.

The test did show the .260 Rem did a little better with heavier bullets.
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1153 Posts

Posted - November 20 2019 :  06:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would stick to the old .270 Win. and the 30-06. Either is deadly on deer and ammo is available everywhere. I appreciate the evolution in firearms which is manifested in the new whiz-bangs that roll off the production lines. Most will fade into obscurity and if you must buy ammo for them, expect to encounter difficulty.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1173 Posts

Posted - November 20 2019 :  07:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have fallen prey to all the hype about the old/new again 6.5 Creedmoor. Been scouring the internet about that caliber along with the 260 Remington. I will be going to my local gun store later this week. They have a Thanksgiving weekend customer appreciation day coming up on the 25 the through the 27th of November. They usually have a Ruger factory rep, among other brand reps, on hand and the Rugers are on sale at good prices(30% Off new). Going to go a couple days early so I won't need to face the crowd, and know what I am looking for before sale day. This gun store moves a lot of firearms and he has the best prices around our area. For sure on the customer appreciation sale.

With all my searching I am not real sure I am not going to purchase one of the well known calibers in 308, 270 or 30 06. My Weatherby Vanguard 06 was a real good rifle, and had the best trigger I have ever felt. My grandson, who I gave it too last Christmas, has fallen in love with it. He has researched the caliber all year and has made himself very knowledgeable on the 06 caliber. His dad has a 270. I will not be shooting over 200 to 300 yards, if I ever hunt again and know those calibers will not be the flash in the paints and fade in the future. From what I have gleaned, from my searching, is the 308 and 6.5 are somewhat comparable, with a slight edge to the 308 (Maybe), and the 270 and 06 are a bit better than the 260 or 6.5, which the Creedmoor sure is the favorite flavor for now.

What is your thoughts on my choices? Tell me if my analysis is wrong. If you were purchasing a new rifle now, what would it be? I have expressed my thoughts. Like I posted in the opening post, I lean toward being old school.

Edited to add; Pat, I am not interested in long range shooting.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 20 2019 09:47:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - November 20 2019 :  08:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"A man has got to know his limitations" - Callahan/Eastwood.

As my age advances deep into the seventies, I would lean toward an easier shooting caliber, so long as it has an established reputation for effectiveness on the game and distances I would be hunting.

There are online calculators for finding free recoil for any given gun weight and load. To help decide how much the differences actually matter.

But in the end it mostly comes down to what setup appeals most to the individual buyer.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9845 Posts

Posted - November 20 2019 :  12:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop-Pop

Your choice range (from .26 to .30 caliber) is an excellent range for deer at 400 yards and less, heck a 30-30 is an excellent choice for 200 yards and less (depending on the sights and your eyes).

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. one of the best and softest shooting rifles I've ever seen was a Steyr Model M in 6.5 X 57 (which is a lot older cartridge than one might think) - it had far less recoil and blast than any .243 I've ever shot (but then it was also heavier).

I don't find the 30-06 to be punishing though it might be in a less than 7 lb rifle. I still have my first Scout rifle, built on a Remington 660 with a Brown Precision stock in 1980 - it weighs 6.6 lbs "all Up" - I do not find the recoil even noticeable when I'm hunting and it is not distracting even on the range.

One of my favorite deer rifles is a Ruger stainless Frontier in .358 Winchester, it has a 3X Burris IER scope and the recoil of 200 gr. Silvertips is more than manageable.

I guess what I'm saying is that as long as it is .257" in bore diameter and you can shoot it, it is very hard to go wrong. Perhaps ammo availability is the way to go (says the guy who handloads 68 calibers - but not as much as I used to ).

There are good bullets available in every common factory caliber.

Good luck - and good hunting!

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.25seconds. Snitz Forums 2000