Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 147 or 115?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 147 or 115?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heavyweight

USA
854 Posts

Posted - October 22 2019 :  12:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of a 16 inch barrel out to about 70-80 yards. Acquired a Hi-Point (I know) 9mm carbine for $100. Which JHP weight should have the best terminal ballistics at that range?

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3658 Posts

Posted - October 22 2019 :  1:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to go with the 147. 16-inch barrel will increase velocity by 150-200 fps. A 147 at that velocity and range is likely to give better terminal performance than a 115 that might be over driven velocity wise, and lose out on penetration.
If you can find it, I would suggest 147 grain+P Federal Tactical HST.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
854 Posts

Posted - October 22 2019 :  2:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, I'm a YUGE fan of HST. It's a Gen1 and advises against any +P ammo. The standard pressure HST 147s should do fine. Thanks for the input.
Go to Top of Page

Steve in Michigan

USA
159 Posts

Posted - October 22 2019 :  4:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky Gunner Ammo just had a video about PC carbine ammo on You Tube. The 147 came out on top over the 115 and 124.
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
854 Posts

Posted - October 30 2019 :  1:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just put a cheap, yet functional, red dot scope on it and zeroed it with 147 grain JHPs at 50 yards. What do you guys think the difference of POI is between 115s and 147s? Any discernible difference?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3658 Posts

Posted - October 30 2019 :  2:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heavyweight

Just put a cheap, yet functional, red dot scope on it and zeroed it with 147 grain JHPs at 50 yards. What do you guys think the difference of POI is between 115s and 147s? Any discernible difference?

The 115s will likely be a couple inches below the 147s, and there might
be a slight drift in windage. The only way to truly know is to check it on a bench rest.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
854 Posts

Posted - October 30 2019 :  3:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You, Sir.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5681 Posts

Posted - October 30 2019 :  5:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please let us know the results of you try some 115's and\or 124's out. It would be greatly appreciated. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
854 Posts

Posted - November 05 2019 :  09:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No noticeable difference at 50 yds. A couple inches high at 25 yds.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5681 Posts

Posted - November 05 2019 :  10:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 115 or 147 was high?

I'd think for general social purposes, a couple inches probably wouldn't matter a whole lot. If you're trying to hit a particular shirt button, or a rat in the garden, it might be an issue. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
854 Posts

Posted - November 05 2019 :  11:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

The 115 or 147 was high?

I'd think for general social purposes, a couple inches probably wouldn't matter a whole lot. If you're trying to hit a particular shirt button, or a rat in the garden, it might be an issue. Ace

Sorry....the 147.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000