Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - RUGER Security 9
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 RUGER Security 9
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

montanaman
Advanced Member

1147 Posts

Posted - October 01 2019 :  6:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys -

I see these at pretty much giveaway prices - $279 on sale, and I'm curious - has anybody touched one off?

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.

Evan
Administrator

34559 Posts

Posted - October 01 2019 :  6:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a Smith 940 and it only worked reliably with standard pressure ammo and the Ruger full moon clips.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

USA
194 Posts

Posted - October 03 2019 :  2:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by montanaman
Hi guys -

I see these at pretty much giveaway prices - $279 on sale, and I'm curious - has anybody touched one off?

Not until today. I hadn't even held one to check it out, however ....

This past year or two I have been thinning out all of the self-loaders I owned IF I can no longer manipulate the slide. That's been almost all of them. Age, compounding health issues, arthritis, neuropathy due to diabetes, plus falls and other injuries to my entire spine have brought me to the point that I just do not have any grip-ability or strength.

The ONLY pistol I have had that allows me to work the slide is my Sig 2022 9mm which has functioned flawlessly. I've made some adjustments to my revolver group, also, and yesterday I sold off my last three semi's to a dealer .... but I also bought a Security 9 Compact while there.

I had an SR9C that I sold my oldest son and got to thinking about the PC9 carbine. The SR-9 and Security 9 share magazines with the PC-9, but I wouldn't buy one unless I had a handgun to pair with it that let me work the slide. I've been trying a lot of different semi-autos, and while there I compared the SR-9, SR-9C and the Security 9 Compact. I liked it, generally, and since I can handle the slide easier than the SR-9's, it was my 'pick-of-the-day.'

$250 to me included the state's $10 background check fee, so Yes, it was affordable. Not perfect for someone rolling around in mud or dealing with a lot of rain or snow or blowing sand, etc., but for what it is, it was a good pick for me. And with the numbness, lack of grip, and challenging dexterity for handling, breakdown and cleaning, it is also simple to handle.

I had limited rounds with me but I made a quick stop on the way home as the range is nearby. I worked both the included 10-round magazines, and got home with a new 9mm self-loader to clean, but with satisfaction that so far, not one single failure to feed or eject. It was pleasant to fire which also felt good.

Take-down was quick-and-easy, and now that it's cleaned up, I am prepared to go get it dirty again. I'll take 4 boxes of Blazer Brass range ammo (115 gr. FMJ) and a 20 round boxes of defensive ammo (115 gr. HP XTP) .... as soon as the rain and wind end their visit.

I know I just bought it yesterday afternoon and broke it in this morning, so it needs more 'proving time.' but so far I'm impressed. Affordable and so far reliable.

'840'

Yes, I too have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3641 Posts

Posted - October 03 2019 :  2:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
840... I have a Ruger PC9. A few thousand rounds in Steel Challenge matches. Works great. I use 17 round SR9 mags.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

USA
194 Posts

Posted - October 06 2019 :  3:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

840... I have a Ruger PC9. A few thousand rounds in Steel Challenge matches. Works great. I use 17 round SR9 mags.

Chris, thanks for your comments.

Over the past month or two I had told my son that there are a couple of long-guns I'm considering and one was in 9mm. I mentioned that it would make a nice combination for his two SR's in 9mm, and I emphasized it just the past two weeks, often, as I told him I was looking for a semi that I could handle the slide on.

Well, as mentioned above, I bought the Ruger Security 9 Compact on the 2nd and took it to the range on the way home on the 3rd. My son had an appointment on the 4th and just happened to stop by a sporting goods store that, lo-and-behold, happened to have a PC9 on display. It came home with him and he stopped by to show his dad what he just bought.

I was going to hold off 'til Monday but had 1Ĺ hours before they closed so off I went to my favorite gun-and-ammo source and brought mine home that evening.

I stopped by his house on the way home this time.

I showed him that, without modification, his SR9 and my Security 9 magazines don't interchange in our handguns, but both of them were designed to work well in the PC9.

Tomorrow: Sunny, calm wind, mid-to-upper 60's ... A 'Ruger Range Day' for the two of us ... handguns and PC9's.

Any particular range ammo you favor?

'840'

Yes, I too have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3641 Posts

Posted - October 06 2019 :  5:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 840

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Chris, thanks for your comments.

Over the past month or two I had told my son that there are a couple of long-guns I'm considering and one was in 9mm. I mentioned that it would make a nice combination for his two SR's in 9mm, and I emphasized it just the past two weeks, often, as I told him I was looking for a semi that I could handle the slide on.

Well, as mentioned above, I bought the Ruger Security 9 Compact on the 2nd and took it to the range on the way home on the 3rd. My son had an appointment on the 4th and just happened to stop by a sporting goods store that, lo-and-behold, happened to have a PC9 on display. It came home with him and he stopped by to show his dad what he just bought.

I was going to hold off 'til Monday but had 1Ĺ hours before they closed so off I went to my favorite gun-and-ammo source and brought mine home that evening.

I stopped by his house on the way home this time.

I showed him that, without modification, his SR9 and my Security 9 magazines don't interchange in our handguns, but both of them were designed to work well in the PC9.

Tomorrow: Sunny, calm wind, mid-to-upper 60's ... A 'Ruger Range Day' for the two of us ... handguns and PC9's.

Any particular range ammo you favor?

'840'

My PC9 eats everything. For 'social' purposes I believe I would prefer
a good 147 9mm JHP... Federal HST... don't know if Speer makes a Gold Dot, but that would also do... Hornaday XTP, or Win Ranger XT... the longer barrel on the carbine boosts velocity. That's good for a 147... not so sure about more frangible 115s or 124s.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1948 Posts

Posted - October 13 2019 :  4:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Security 9 pistol...yes, Iíve shot one and think itís a heck of a pistol for the money. Definitely worth the pricetag.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.1seconds. Snitz Forums 2000