Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - The coming storm
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 The coming storm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

gw
Advanced Member

4738 Posts

Posted - September 03 2019 :  7:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Past time to start stock piling rimfire ammo.

The political climate is for some new and increasingly stupid " gun control laws"

We saw the last ammo shortage, it will come again

Regardless of who gets into office, ammo will be short

A couple good .22 rifles and a handgun can get you by.

.22 ammo is cheap to buy in bulk when it's available

Get it while you can.....

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

USA
188 Posts

Posted - September 03 2019 :  8:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good reminder, gw. I was busy with medical stuff a few months back and missed some great deals at some local stores. Have a really good S&W SW22, but need to find a .22 LR Revolver. Did an inventory this spring/summer. With 150 Stingers, 7700 CCI MMHP's and a little over 12,575 Rem. GBHP's do you think I'm OK for a while or should I do some more shopping?

Revolver also for Bird/Snake shot I'm low on, and .22 Shots I am out of. I have a 10/22 but am shopping for a good carbine-length pump. I never should have let any of my Rossi Mod. 62's go.

Yes, I too have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5645 Posts

Posted - September 03 2019 :  9:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That should handle a weekend at the range with the grandkids, right? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5449 Posts

Posted - September 03 2019 :  9:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've said for several years that the gun grabbers will starve the gun owners by cutting supply of the ammo. Dick's Sporting Goods, now Wally world. Once a liberal takes the oval office you can expect mail order ammo be eventually shut down.
Each adult in my family has a .22 rifle and we have a few boxes of .22 ammo. Great for hunting small game.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

USA
188 Posts

Posted - September 03 2019 :  11:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arvinator
Each adult in my family has a .22 rifle and we have a few boxes of .22 ammo. Great for hunting small game.
I believe all responsible people ought to have at least one .22 LR firearm. Great caliber for a lot of uses, and can provide ample meat for an individual or family when wanted or needed.

Matter of fact, a good fall weather change is coming soon and I've located about five new places to hunt that have a healthy supply of cottontails.

'840'

Yes, I too have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5645 Posts

Posted - September 04 2019 :  07:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now you're just hurting my feelings, 840. Bunnies are in short supply around here, too many hawks and nobody seriously hunts or traps coyotes and other predators. About the only thing better than a plate of fried rabbit and mashed taters is a second helping--and a big slab of apple pie afterwards. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34549 Posts

Posted - September 04 2019 :  4:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tell folks if they can only afford one rifle get A Ruger 10/22 and several 25 round mags and a mountain of .22 hp.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

USA
188 Posts

Posted - September 04 2019 :  5:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace
About the only thing better than a plate of fried rabbit and mashed taters is a second helping--and a big slab of apple pie afterwards.
Here it is, way past lunch, dinner's getting close, I haven't eaten yet today .... and now you've triggered a serious appetite!

Rabbits often occupied my time, but remembering back to my youth, cottontails were very abundant and tracking them down with the old single-shot Winchester or tube-fed Remington bolt was a great pastime. We lived "in the country" so I have more opportunities to head to the fields or wooded areas and enjoy life, and 'share' some of my .22 ammo with squirrels and cottontails. It cost me 45 to 55 a box back then and I didn't mind 'sharing.' Those habits of having fun have continued through the years.

Farming practices of tearing out fences and eliminating ditches so they could farm from roadside-to-roadside sure ruined cover necessary for a good habitat for rabbits as well as game birds. That's made things tougher for hunting opportunities, or good numbers of critters, for over forty years now.

Fortunately for me, I've decent habitat areas on public land that has a healthy supply of cottontails. I also do my best to thin out the coyotes when I'm travelling through there, too.

That's why I'm excited fall weather is close because fall, winter and spring is when I change my meal planning to include more tasty rabbit. Personally I prefer fried potatoes, but apple pie or peach pie does make a satisfying desert.

Fresh air, fun, enjoyable hunting experience, and top it off with a tasty dinner .... all thanks to the wonderful .22 LR cartridge. Hummm... maybe I'll make a range trip tomorrow morning. I have enough plinking ammo.

'840'

Go to Top of Page

USA
188 Posts

Posted - September 04 2019 :  5:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan
I tell folks if they can only afford one rifle get A Ruger 10/22 and several 25 round mags and a mountain of .22 hp.
Ruger 10/22? ... One stainless. Check!
25 Round Mags.? ... At least 5 or 6 okay? Check!
A mountain of .22 HP? ... Over 20K of HP's okay? Check!

Age and impairments have me where I can only work the slide on three of my shell-chucker handguns. Parting with the others, and adjusting my revolver outfit as well. Keeps me enjoying the merits of the .22 LR Rimfires even more.

'840'

PS Evan: My .45 Shield is one of the remaining 3 pistols.

Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4738 Posts

Posted - September 04 2019 :  7:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it's how you use it, not what you use.

Israeli Sky Marshal Mordechai Rachamim's exploits for example....

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000