StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Primer's resistance to water.
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Test Bed
 Primer's resistance to water.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

rev.
Advanced Member

1011 Posts

Posted - August 27 2019 :  7:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's said that truth is stranger than fiction, well here's an example.
I recently ran into some hard CCI small pistol primers. I've never had trouble with them before but I had about six failures to fire in three different pistols, although they did fire on the second strike.
So I trashed two hundred of them, dumping them into a bucket of water, for a week.
Today I tossed them out in the garbage, but just out of curiosity I let two of them dry.
I placed them one at a time on the anvil of my vice and struck them with a hammer. THEY FIRED !! Not just a little puff of smoke, but full fire and flame and loud report. This, after a week underwater!
The reason I'm posting this is because I've read the worried posts of men who wondered if they had to change out their ammunition after being caught in the rain! Brothers, if a week underwater can't deaden a primer, I doubt being caught in the rain is going to cause you any problems.
Take this post with a grain of salt if you will, but every word is the truth.
rev.

Russ Larges

USA
2410 Posts

Posted - August 27 2019 :  8:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put a speed loader with five .38s in it through the wash in a pants pocket and they all worked well.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

USA
188 Posts

Posted - August 28 2019 :  01:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not too surprised about the results of your attempt to check he week-long soak deactivating the primers. I also haven't been one to be overly concerned about water intrusion via a primer hole and the event it might have on a primer if caught in a rain shower.

Most handguns tend to be carried muzzle downward. Should there happen to be a significant, freakish gap around the prime when firmly seated, my concern would be the effect of any water on the gunpowder more than the primer. I think that would be the more likely cause for concern from water intrusion.

If I experience a rain event where I got wet enough to cause a concern (which happened a time or two when I was in LE in Wet-stern Oregon back in the '70s), we had an easy fix. I ALWAYS kept -keep- my firearms clean & maintained, and instructed all my officers, regular and reserve, to do the same. Especially should their firearm get wet.

You unload to clean it, and when finished you simply swapped to a fresh set of issued service ammo. All of the carried duty ammo in question went into a separate range bucket, separate from the training ammo, and we used it for some of our trips to the range. Just wanted to be safe, and that gave us service-grade ammo for some of the training courses.

Never experienced a fail-to-fire, but it let anyone's mind rest at ease.

'840'

Yes, I too have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.05seconds. Snitz Forums 2000