StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Primer's resistance to water.
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Test Bed
 Primer's resistance to water.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

rev.
Advanced Member

1011 Posts

Posted - August 27 2019 :  7:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's said that truth is stranger than fiction, well here's an example.
I recently ran into some hard CCI small pistol primers. I've never had trouble with them before but I had about six failures to fire in three different pistols, although they did fire on the second strike.
So I trashed two hundred of them, dumping them into a bucket of water, for a week.
Today I tossed them out in the garbage, but just out of curiosity I let two of them dry.
I placed them one at a time on the anvil of my vice and struck them with a hammer. THEY FIRED !! Not just a little puff of smoke, but full fire and flame and loud report. This, after a week underwater!
The reason I'm posting this is because I've read the worried posts of men who wondered if they had to change out their ammunition after being caught in the rain! Brothers, if a week underwater can't deaden a primer, I doubt being caught in the rain is going to cause you any problems.
Take this post with a grain of salt if you will, but every word is the truth.
rev.

Russ Larges

USA
2412 Posts

Posted - August 27 2019 :  8:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put a speed loader with five .38s in it through the wash in a pants pocket and they all worked well.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

USA
194 Posts

Posted - August 28 2019 :  01:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not too surprised about the results of your attempt to check he week-long soak deactivating the primers. I also haven't been one to be overly concerned about water intrusion via a primer hole and the event it might have on a primer if caught in a rain shower.

Most handguns tend to be carried muzzle downward. Should there happen to be a significant, freakish gap around the primer when firmly seated, my concern would be the effect of any water on the gunpowder more than the primer. I think that would be the more likely cause for concern from water intrusion.

If I experience a rain event where I got wet enough to cause a concern (which happened a time or two when I was in LE in Wet-stern Oregon back in the '70s), we had an easy fix. I ALWAYS kept -keep- my firearms clean & maintained, and instructed all my officers, regular and reserve, to do the same. Especially should their firearm get wet.

You unload to clean it, and when finished you simply swapped to a fresh set of issued service ammo. All of the carried duty ammo in question went into a separate range bucket, separate from the training ammo, and we used it for some of our trips to the range. Just wanted to be safe, and that gave us service-grade ammo for some of the training courses.

Never experienced a fail-to-fire, but it let anyone's mind rest at ease.

'840'

Yes, I too have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.

Edited by - 840 on September 28 2019 7:37:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
412 Posts

Posted - September 28 2019 :  11:09:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
840, I have to agree that primers are pretty tough and that powder usually dies first. I have tested the green and white Remington (Wal-Mart edition) 125 grain .38 Spl. SJHP by submerging five in a cup of water for 24 hours. They do not appear to be sealed at all. I had two duds, a squib and two that had bullets which made it out of a four inch barrel, though with a weaker sounding report. That test with the same bullet loaded in the Remington green and yellow HTP box resulted in five rounds that all fired with a normal sounding report; they have the reddish sealant around their primers. About three years ago, I lost an S&W 3904 stainless magazine loaded with Federal BPLE sealed with their clear sealant. It had fallen from my cargo pocket while I was working on a tractor. My wife spotted something shiny in the dirt nearly 18 months later. It was the tip of that magazine, disassembled by the abuse of being run over by tractors and various other vehicles. I dug the mag parts out of the dirt with seven of the nine rounds. I thought it all a total loss but decided I wanted to know what all the weather and filth had done. After cleaning and reassembling the mag and washing off those seven rounds of BPLE I managed to find, I braced myself for the worst. I was amazed to find that all rounds fired and cycled the pistol with a normal sounding report.

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3641 Posts

Posted - September 28 2019 :  1:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Navy SEALs swim around with pistols, rifles, and carbines all the time.They don't seem to have a problem with wet primers... although I'm certain their ammo uses sealed primers.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4782 Posts

Posted - September 28 2019 :  4:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
US Military small arms ammo should be sealed on both ends, and the primer crimped.

Some commercial ammo is sealed, some not

I've had dead primers in Federal ammo after a good soaking

Pressurized exposure, like running down the river in a fast boat, can force water past seals in a bunch of stuff.

If my life depends on it, I'ld seal all primers.....

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on September 28 2019 4:05:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - September 28 2019 :  9:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sight Enhancement Compound, aka fingernail polish, should work as a primer sealant; just use a thin coat. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9817 Posts

Posted - October 01 2019 :  4:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Sight Enhancement Compound, aka fingernail polish, should work as a primer sealant; just use a thin coat. Ace

I think George Nonte tested that once - seems to work.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - October 01 2019 :  6:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And makes your ammo pretty, too. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34559 Posts

Posted - October 01 2019 :  6:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, my tac unit partner was in the Army under George . They were captured during war games because George shot a Armadillo because he loved the meat. Additionally, George is mentioned in the JFK assassination.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Nanuk

USA
827 Posts

Posted - October 06 2019 :  6:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Nanuk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Navy SEALs swim around with pistols, rifles, and carbines all the time.They don't seem to have a problem with wet primers... although I'm certain their ammo uses sealed primers.

Water molecules are pretty big.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George Patton
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000