Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Remington 11-87 Police Reliability
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 Remington 11-87 Police Reliability
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  4:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Years ago I established that the Remington 11-87 had serious trouble reliably cycling Federal and Winchester Tactical/Low Recoil 00 Buckshot. We steered away from buying the gun since the “boys and girls” we worked with had gotten spoiled firing the low recioil loads. Is the 11-87 normally a reliable defense shotgun with standard velocity buck and slugs?

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3599 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  5:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. I don't know of any semi-auto shotgun that I would rate as 100% reliable with the reduced recoil loads.... slug or buck.
Although... with that said, I can't speak for current Rem production.I'm going back a few years when I say yes.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4705 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  8:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added a new gas seal and a "barrel seal activator" from a 3.5" 11-87 to my 11-87p

Remington is using the barrel seal activator on the 14" 11-87 to improve reliability

That setup has been 100% with low recoil slugs and Remington managed recoil buck.

It even functions with 7/8oz 3 gun ammo

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
987 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  8:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a 11-87 from about '92 that's 100% reliable with the Federal H132. However, it's been through several shotgun instructor schools and LTM for Police and I keep it clean/lubed. I have noticed that the more recent H132 with the Flite-Control wad ejects with much less enthusiasm than the older stuff. Yes, it is 100% with the standard stuff too.

What, pray tell, is a barrel seal activator?

BTW, the carrier assembly from the 100 Competition Master (F300902) is a drop in/near drop in replacement with a much larger carrier release button. Do beware of the hammer spring follower during dis-assembly.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Edited by - WR Moore on July 31 2019 8:49:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4705 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  9:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The barrel seal activator is a ring/seal that is inserted between the gas seal and piston

It is used on the 3.5" 12ga for use with 2 3/4" shells

Remington adds one to the 14" guns for use with low recoil ammo

Added to the 11-87p, it seems to improve reliability with low recoil

It's a $10 fix, if you ask Remington they might send one out to try...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2744 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  11:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 11-87 isn’t the police version but it’s been fine with standard pressure slugs and buck.

It cycled Federal low recoil buckshot but it was very slow cycling, I wouldn’t trust for serious use that way.

But I am planning on getting a pressure compensating barrel to test with low recoil buckshot and slug. I’ve read on another forum of that working good with at least one individual's gun.

Health issues give me lot of joint pain issues nowadays, otherwise I wouldn’t be trying that setup.

Miss the days when I was younger and practice with standard 1 oz slugs in my 1300 didn’t hurt.

Nowadays even though standard slugs and buckshot in the 11-87 are lot softer than they were in the 1300, it’s more than my neck can handle for more than a couple of rounds.

Edited by - Dov on July 31 2019 11:28:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
987 Posts

Posted - August 01 2019 :  11:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks GW, gonna have to include that on my next Brownells order. Despite the fact that I pretty much owe my existence to a habit of debussing with a short barreled 11-48 in the rowdy areas, I've grown a lot less fond of the gauge. In fact I'm kinda wondering if pitching the AR types as ideal for the less abled individuals might be a decent talking point (with reasonable people).

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3599 Posts

Posted - August 01 2019 :  12:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WR... I tend to favor an AR over a shotgun. More discriminating (I.E. less chance of unintended damage to those that need not be damaged) easy to triple tap, more rounds, less recoil, greater range, faster reload, etc.

I do have a slug-loaded 12-gauge ready-to-go, in the event our neighborhood "problem bear" shows up in an annoying manner in my back yard. But the AR would be my choice for everything else.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
987 Posts

Posted - August 01 2019 :  5:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, I hit that point several years ago while prepping for a TPC match and realized the gauge wasn't fun anymore. Even with bird shot. Add in the factors you mention and it's a no brainer. Our bears are about the size of the average human. Just fluffier.

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5628 Posts

Posted - August 01 2019 :  6:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffier---and maybe friendlier? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

johns961

USA
59 Posts

Posted - August 01 2019 :  6:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother got some of that military brown box buck shot for his auto.Seems to work well. Without too much recoil.
Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1451 Posts

Posted - August 01 2019 :  9:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year I was offered a used 1187 Special Purpose with 21" iron sighted barrel with Rem chokes. It runs great with full power ammo but won't cycle the lower power shells. I'm taking it to a Rangemaster shotgun class next week.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9808 Posts

Posted - August 02 2019 :  11:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Yes. I don't know of any semi-auto shotgun that I would rate as 100% reliable with the reduced recoil loads.... slug or buck.
Although... with that said, I can't speak for current Rem production.I'm going back a few years when I say yes.

Once again, my (limited) experience with auto shotguns mirror's that of Chris, I have an early H&K (Binelli) M1 - it will not work with low recoil ammo to include the cheap trap loads. I suspect it is set up for heavy loads.

I can make my Browning and copies (Savage 720 and Remington 11) work with them but then they get beat up - and beat me up - with heavy loads.

That said I have no experience with an 11-87, I did break an 1100 once and have worked on several.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2403 Posts

Posted - August 02 2019 :  8:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have many thousand (twenty or more) rounds thru an 1100 skeet. It has been my go to skeet gun for at least 30 years other then a new lifter and O rings it has been flawless. I did shoot an 1187 for a couple years and foolishly let it get away. I believe the 1100 to be the best auto loader ever made.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva
Average Member

USA
265 Posts

Posted - August 03 2019 :  3:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, you can set the friction rings on the browning to shoot either low power or high brass shells pretty easily. Then the high brass ones won't beat you up as bad.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - fiasconva on August 03 2019 3:25:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9808 Posts

Posted - August 12 2019 :  08:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva

Jim, you can set the friction rings on the browning to shoot either low power or high brass shells pretty easily. Then the high brass ones won't beat you up as bad.

Yes Sir, I'm aware that there are three ways to set up the Browning - the 3rd is for extremely light loads where you set the brake in the back. But I've only run into one gun set that way and the owner did it unintentionally and brought it to me wonder why he was getting kicked so hard with heavey loads

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000