Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Proper bear spray application
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Proper bear spray application
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5495 Posts

Posted - July 29 2019 :  11:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I was taking an online CE course on detecting and dealing with drug users and seekers in a dental practice setting. The speaker was from Colorado; an avid outdoor hiker, runner, and mountain biker.

Aside from some jaundiced insights into the Colorado drug scene - cannabis stores and users are apparently everywhere - he remarked on the liberal city dwellers who go out to commune with nature. Tree huggers, who want to get out, hug trees, and get friendly with the bears.

The Doc described his first hiking trip to the Tetons in Wyoming. The outfitter asked if he had bear spray to take on the trail. The Doc replied that he did not. The outfitter gave him a can to take with him. He could either return it unused or pay for it on his return.

The outfitter asked Doc if he knew how to use the spray. Doc replied that you just lay down a cloud between yourself and the bear and leave if possible. "But why do you ask? That's pretty obvious isn't it?"

The outfitter grinned. "You'd be surprised how many people use it like bug repellant - spray it on their kids."

Jeff

jle3030

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5628 Posts

Posted - July 29 2019 :  1:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Supposedly a true story: Some bowhunters new to bear country didn't have high-quality, bear-resistant food containers, so they did the next-best thing--they hosed down the containers with OC bear spray, figuring it would deter Yogi and BooBoo. They came back to camp in the afternoon, and discovered a couple of bears licking the spray off the containers. They were smart enough not to interfere, and hid in the bushes, watching while the bears finished 'cleaning' the containers, then tore them open and ate what they wanted.
The neophytes packed up and went home after the bears left. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3599 Posts

Posted - July 29 2019 :  2:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a proper 6 Step technique to using Bear Spray, and many are unaware of it. Step 1: Throw the can at the bear's face to try to distract him. Step 2: Draw your .44 Magnum revolver and rapidly pump three rounds into the bear's head/neck area. Step 3: Assess. Step 4: Use remaining 3 rounds as your assessment dictates. Step 5: Make an immediate reload, while retaining empty cases. Step 6: leave the area post haste

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

JD

USA
111 Posts

Posted - July 29 2019 :  3:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was living up in Anchorage, there was a story going around about a bush pilot that flew a fisherman in to fish one of the rivers, dropping him off on a sand bar. The pilot made sure to ask the man if he had a can of bear repellent, which he assured the pilot that he did. The pilot took off in his Super Cub, and swung back over the river headed back to Anchorage. He noticed the fisherman flopping around on the sandbar, and thinking that there might be a medical problem he landed the Super Cub again. Turns out that the fisherman thought that you applied bear repellent just like you do bug repellent and had sprayed himself down with the stuff.........

Whether the story was true or not, I don't know, but every pilot that I talked to swore that it was true....

JD
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.05seconds. Snitz Forums 2000