Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .22 Long Rifle Velocity Report
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 .22 Long Rifle Velocity Report
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - July 17 2019 :  6:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This may be more of a "Speed Trap" entry, but as it has more to do with rimfire ammo, I'm dropping it off here. I headed out in the stultifying heat and humidity this morning to try out a used Henry .22 LR pump rifle I bought through GB.com to zero the little Tasco scope that came on it and just to make sure it worked well. I had a box of 36 grain hollow point CCI Mini-Mags (advertised velocity 1250 f.p.s.) and one of Winchester 40 grain Hypervelocity hollow points (advertised velocity: 1435 f.p.s.) on the window sill by the back door. I walked by my chronograph on the way out and thought, "What the heck; wonder how fast it will "sling these little rascals?" Firing six of each through my Pro Chrono Chronograph, I got an average of 1267 f.p.s (slowest was 1239 and fastest going 1299 f.p.s.) from the Mini-Mags and 1444 f.p.s. from the Winchesters (going as slow as 1419 and as fast as 1477 f.p.s. The rifle has an 18.5" barrel and functioned smoothly, as expected. I was impressed by the velocity of each type of cartridge in that they actually exceeded what was advertised.

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill

Evan
Administrator

34526 Posts

Posted - July 17 2019 :  8:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. The only hole in my arsenal is a .22 rifle.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Redheeler
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - July 18 2019 :  7:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoy shooting .22s and have several but no Henrys. I have wanted one for awhile but just have a hard time paying what they want for them. Not that they aren’t worth it, they are an very well made rifle. Hopefully one day I will come across a good used one. Glad that yours works well. Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5628 Posts

Posted - July 18 2019 :  7:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a little Henry lever-action last Christmas through a deal with the boss at the shop. Started out using Shorts in it, because....well, it's my rifle and I can. It shot them well, plenty accurate for iron sights and my old eyes. Took it to the range a couple weeks ago to try LR's in it, shot some CCI MiniMags and Velocitors; they were both more accurate than the Shorts, with the Velocitors making several little one-raggedy-hole groups. Seems it likes LR better than Short.
About ready to commit a blasphemous act and put a low-power scope on it (scopes don't belong on lever-actions, but with my eyes...). I'm expecting phenomenal--for me--results.

Everybody should have a/some .22 rifles, for the fun cheaper shooting, and for more serious purposes. The Henrys seem to be the smoothest actions out of the box than any other brand--not to knock the other brands. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5432 Posts

Posted - July 18 2019 :  10:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy a few boxes of .22 rimfire ammo every year. I got a rifle for me, the wife, the stepson, the daughter in law, and this weekend a little .22 Crickett for my Grandson who is turning 7.

Marlins seem to be the best bang for the buck in pawn shops. My Ruger 10/22 is my personal favorite.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - July 19 2019 :  10:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a Henry Big Boy in 38Spl/357 new Mag 3 years ago. It was hard to lay out the cash. My family and I love the thing. It is fun to shoot and does well with 38s and 357 ball ammo. Many people have complained about the 38 Spl, not cycling, but I have had no problems to date. Lever guns rank high on my list for range guns and fun. Just under my 3 22's. My S/W 317-3, Sig Mosquito, and Taurus Mdl 941 22 mag revolver. Have run many 1000s of rounds through them, over the years.

Would purchase a 22 lever gun, if I ever find a bargain. I do have 5 different 22 rifles in the safe also.

I like 22s!

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on July 19 2019 10:26:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
843 Posts

Posted - July 19 2019 :  11:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arvinator

I buy a few boxes of .22 rimfire ammo every year. I got a rifle for me, the wife, the stepson, the daughter in law, and this weekend a little .22 Crickett for my Grandson who is turning 7.

Marlins seem to be the best bang for the buck in pawn shops. My Ruger 10/22 is my personal favorite.

A local Rural King had Marlin 66's on sale for $139 a couple years ago. Bought 4 of them. Plenty accurate.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9808 Posts

Posted - August 11 2019 :  7:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ralph!

I recently was cleaning guns and ran into my old Winchester 75 with a 10X Unertl scope on it. I used to use this guns in meets with Tom Givens and another couple of fellows to shoot .22s at 200 to 225 yards in the back yard - it was great fun.

I decided to try 4 different modern loads: CCI Subsonic HP, Aguila Subsonic LRN, Eley Match, and Federal Auto Match all at 25 yards.

Oddly enough the Federal Auto Match was the most accurate, which was mildly suprising since it was supersonic (but I think it stays supersonic to 25 - 50 yards may tell a different tale).

Sadly I did not set the chrono up.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000