StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - ever check your carry gun?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 ever check your carry gun?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Evan
Administrator

34526 Posts

Posted - July 09 2019 :  5:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently bought a new iwb holster only to find it would routinely partially ejected the magazine in my .40. never fell out but i don't need a single shot pistol. this is just one example of problems we need to check for and be aware of.

Twice in 20 years checking my uniform duty weapon i found it was inoperable.A bud bought a Colt cobra as a second gun AND NEVER FIRED IT. After retirement he was walking his dog in the woods they came across a rabid skunk and when he went to shoot it discovered the gun was shipped without a firing pin.

Check everything especially your ammo.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

252 Posts

Posted - July 09 2019 :  7:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years ago, I had a Glock 22, 2nd generation. It was a range gun. Took it to the range one day and it didnít fire, so I decided to leave. The manager asked why I was leaving, and I told him the pistol wasnít working. He took a look at it, and in short time observed that the firing pin had sheared off. He had a drawer full of Glock parts, and replaced it for free. He said it was a common problem. So much for Glock Perfection. The pistol was never reliable, so I sold it as a range gun.

As far as magazines getting inadvertently disengaged, I have had that happen with a few holsters which I no longer use.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5432 Posts

Posted - July 09 2019 :  9:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once took my backup gun a S&W 38 snub to the range for quals. Firing pin was broken. Last fired it about a week before. I carried 3 guns back then working graveyard doing solo patrol in a town of 6,600 byself from 10p-6am. My 3rd gun was a KelTec 32.

Any firearm can be as handy as a rock and nothing more if you let it. I let mine and never realized it until I was shooting it....

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5628 Posts

Posted - July 09 2019 :  10:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not too long back, I went to drop the magazine from my XD for some dry fire practice. Couldn't push the release button enough to make it work, from either side. Turned out to have locked up from rust. Never heard of such a thing. Lack of a drop of oil could have caused a big embarrassment at the range, or a whole lot worse in other situations. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
624 Posts

Posted - July 10 2019 :  11:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a Taurus model 85 38 special at one time. Shot it once, did not like the grips. Got new grips, put them on it, dry fired gun empty to see how the grips felt, and saw a tiny silver fly out of the barrel. The firing pin broke and flew out of the barrel. Returned it for warranty repair, sold it. Last Taurus I ever bought.

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - July 11 2019 :  07:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had similar problems with Taurus guns----won't buy any more.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4705 Posts

Posted - July 11 2019 :  08:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taurus has been about 50/50 with me too

they don't resell worth a hoot either

just gave my last one away for about $100 bucks, won't waste more money on another

I've had S&Ws, Springfields, Colts all with problems right out of the box.

wouldn't trust anything that hasn't been test fired,

anything that's unreliable,truck or gun, goes on the block

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
987 Posts

Posted - July 12 2019 :  7:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to say that waaay back when, I had the same magazine catch issue with a S&W 5906 in humid weather. Live and learn.

I got a model 60 back from the factory after they replaced the yoke. I was dry firing it when it quit working. The firing pin broke. I called them and talked them into just sending me the hammer nose and rivet. Got it in 3 days.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9808 Posts

Posted - August 11 2019 :  7:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A while back a adopted a new (old) holster for my BUG because during the summer when I mow I often switch to a revolver with one shot shell up for snakes (I have two creeks on either side of the property and occasionally run into a copperhead - I tend to let the non-poisonous varieties alone unless they surprise me.

The holster is an old Bauer Brothers Detective model and it holds either a 4.25 " Commander or a 4" Colt Diamond back or a 4" S&W Mountain gun .44 or a 3" charter Arms Bulldog equally well due to it spring closure.

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time but twice I found my regualr backup - a S&W Scandium Commander had poped the magazines loose!

I noted that my regular Colt Commander did not do that. The Smith (and kimbers) have a slightly longer mag release, but the Smith had a very easy push to release the mag.

So I not only replaced the mag spring but I took a dremel and releived the leather in the area around the mag release. Been wearing it since late May without incident - but I find a strage attraction to a 3" .44 spl wheel gun and have often worn it as a BUG even when I'm not mowing. The only time I change it is when I go to the big city. Of course after mowing season is done I'll change back but then again in November, I change to an N-frame revolver for my BUG anyway.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Edited by - Jim Higginbotham on August 11 2019 7:17:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000