StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Mossberg MVP ??
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Mossberg MVP ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - April 27 2019 :  8:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I had a not-best Easter weekend. Went out to the truck to head for church, discovered that for the first time in longer than I can remember, I left the passenger door unlocked, and some poor misbegotten victim of bad upbringing chose that Saturday night to go shopping in my driveway. Took a Ruger 1022 Compact from the roof rack, a nasty old .410 870 Wingmaster from the back seat, and my AR and case from under the back seat. My fault, shouldn't have left the door unlocked, some might argue shouldn't have had guns in the truck. I'm more embarrassed than mad, but I would like a few minutes with the miscreant to counsel him about the error of his ways. We would start with 'come to Jesus' and go from there.

So, to the question: I'm toying with the idea of replacing the AR with a Mossberg MVP Patrol model in .556. Searched for information here, found some, but it's all three+ years old. Just wondering if
the gun has improved since then, would it be a good deal, jump all over it, run away screaming, take a chance, or what? Good action/trigger, or hope it works? What level of accuracy would I expect--ie: be glad to hit the berm, pick the leg on the gnat, be satisfied to hit a pie plate, or (again) what?
Any advice and suggestions would be welcomed. And thanks in advance. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - April 28 2019 :  10:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bummer... sorry for your loss... sorry you have such miscreants creeping around your neighborhood at night.

What did the cops tell you about the likelihood of catching the thief and getting your guns back? About the same as waking up to find a herd of rainbow-colored unicorns grazing on your front lawn?

I recently moved to a little town in the mountains of Colorado, where crime is practically non-existent: there doesnít seem to be a population of meth addicts or crackheads or heroin addicts to fuel it. And I live a couple miles outside of town, on the edge of a mesa, at the end of a long private road; nobody strange ever drives or wanders by. Iíve discovered from conversations with locals that this is still one of those places where ďI never lock my house, or my truck. Heck, half the time I leave the keys in it.Ē

I do feel fortunate to be living in such a place; but I still canít shake the habit of locking my house when I leave, and locking my ride (which, like yours, is always home to a couple of guns) when itís parked in my driveway. Lately Iíve been thinking ďI really donít need to be doing thisĒ.... but I continue to do it anyway. I know if I get out of the habit of locking up, Iíll forget to do it when Iím parked somewhere where itís necessary.

Are you at all worried that now that the thief (or thieves) know that youíre a multiple gun owner, that theyíll continue to target your truck? Or even start watching your house, waiting for a chance to break in when nobodyís there?

Thieves suck!.... one thing the Saudis might have right, is cutting off their hands... that, I suspect, might cause all but the totally-strung-out ones to think twice, and then reconsider....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on April 28 2019 10:29:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4782 Posts

Posted - April 28 2019 :  12:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lived in Saudi Arabia for a year, never say one person missing a hand....

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - April 28 2019 :  12:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deterrence works....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - April 28 2019 :  1:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a long time, Gramma has been saying every once in a while that she thinks somebody has been stealing a little gas out of her van, because she 'remembers' how full it was the night before. We figured she's just absent minded (which she is sometimes) and forgot just how much was in it. Now, we think she could be right; maybe some little victim of society is taking a little at a time now and then--then again, maybe she is being forgetful....
Not hugely concerned about somebody coming to go shopping when we're not home, though common sense says it could happen. Usually in the daytime, there are some neighbors at home, and they'd be the type to call if they see something suspicious. Still gonna do what I can to make it difficult if they want to try, though.

Still wondering about the pros and cons on the MVP rifle. Saw a lot of good reviews on Youtube,but most of them are from several years back, and/or they're trying to sell them, so of course they say the gun is wonderful. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3641 Posts

Posted - April 28 2019 :  2:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace... if it's on YouTube I'm automatically skeptical.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - April 28 2019 :  3:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. There are two guys I like, a couple that I take with a grain of salt, but most of it just gets checked for entertainment purposes now and then. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1126 Posts

Posted - April 28 2019 :  4:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Light that place up at night, and put you some camera's out there Ace. Most thugs don't like a lot of light. Can't help you on the MVP. No experience with them.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9817 Posts

Posted - August 06 2019 :  08:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace;

I bought an MVP a few years back. I haven't shot it in a while but it is adequate - factory ball is not exactly inspiring but it has a 1 in 7 twist and I have some 69 gr. match ammo that comes in under 1 MOA.

My big mistake was in not following Evan's rule of waiting a year (I can resist anything but temptation) and mine is not threaded for a suppressor.

The MVP series is sort of utilitarian. It has that Savage patented Accu-trigger which is plenty light (and I think it is adjustable) - it has a little creep to it but is useable.

it is not the most accurate .223/5.56 I have but it will do and I like the fact it takes AR magazines.

I like my MVP "Patrol Rifle" in 7.62 even better - it take unmodified M-14 mags and AR-10 mags. that one is threaded!

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9817 Posts

Posted - September 11 2019 :  08:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a used MVP yesterday in 6.5 Creedmoor - not sure what sort of magazine it took but my guess is the M-14/AR-10 that the .308 version uses.

It was only $250! I didn't even know they were making that!

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

JD

USA
113 Posts

Posted - September 11 2019 :  3:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, great price for a great rifle..........

JD
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000