Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - ORF Qualification Today
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Cop Corner
 ORF Qualification Today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5543 Posts

Posted - April 13 2019 :  6:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the day, had to do the annual ORF quals for the LEOSA card. Got a rude awakening as to how much shooting skills can deteriorate when you don't practice. Shot better with the revawver than the semi-auto, but not a lot. There were even some of those 'partner' shots with both guns (you know, those shots that are outside the line, but they aren't misses, they're shooting the bad guy's partner that's coming up to help him).
Most definitely time to work some practice ammo into the budget, and some time into the schedule to use it.
Kinda thinking it might be time to dump the semi's and revert to revawvers. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1921 Posts

Posted - April 14 2019 :  12:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, it happens to all of us. Life gets in the way of practicing sometimes!

It could be a gun problem though. They’re old too, and maybe they weren’t properly warmed up. I think you need to send them all to me, so I can verify the sights for you and give them a workout. When I get ‘em all loosened up and limber, I’ll send ‘em back.

It might take a while though. Gotta be thorough about these things, you know.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5413 Posts

Posted - April 14 2019 :  08:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace-

Funny how many of us older guys seem to be gravitating back to revolvers. I'm stepping out with an old flame this week: Old Model Colt Cobra.

Only a little larger than the J-frames.
Airweight - the old back has been objecting to weight on the belt.
Six shots vs Five. Only 1 less than my mini 9 and .380's
GreatreliabilityDAtriggersafetyfactorshootsthroughpocketscontactshotsandallthatothersnubbystuff.
Better sights.
Shoots dead on with Nyclads, of which I still have a small stash.
Longer ejector rod dumps all the empties reliably with a single thumb stroke.
Same speed loader as a K-frame Smith
Feels great in the hand with original stocks + Tyler T-grip.

I'm lazyspoiled by the compactness of the Smith 442. Except for that, the safe queen Cobra should hold the edge. We'll see how it goes.

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on April 14 2019 08:06:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - April 14 2019 :  09:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have reverted back to revolver, several years ago, because of diabetic neuropathy in my hands and wrists. My 7 shot Mdl 617 Taurus 357/38 has been my constant companion for years now. It is a K frame size 2" brl so no T-grip needed, pocket carried. Life does creep up on us!

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5543 Posts

Posted - April 14 2019 :  1:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ten Driver, letmethinkaboutthatkindoffernahnevermindI'lljustbearwiththedisappointmentthanksanyway. (I think Jeff may have started something here.)

One of the smart guys on the other forum I hang out on suggested taking up reloading; the savings could make it less painful to practice. Might be a good idea. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3496 Posts

Posted - April 14 2019 :  2:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Ten Driver, letmethinkaboutthatkindoffernahnevermindI'lljustbearwiththedisappointmentthanksanyway. (I think Jeff may have started something here.)

One of the smart guys on the other forum I hang out on suggested taking up reloading; the savings could make it less painful to practice. Might be a good idea. Ace

Ace, I reload. You'd have to reload a few thousand rounds before you recouped the investment on decent reloading equipment. Then there is the time spent reloading... hazmat fees on primers & powder... collecting empty cases... buying bullets, etc.

Might you not look around for a commercial reloader that could supply
standard pressure 125 grain (so they'll likely shoot to POA with the sights you likely have set for 125 or so grain loads).

I reload because... I have to for my work... I can make suitable loads that recoil less than factory... my reloading gear was paid for years ago (35 years) and I have the time. For me it makes sense. It may not for others..... especially if you're only going to run 200 rounds a month, and can't find a commercial reloader.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on April 14 2019 3:01:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5393 Posts

Posted - April 14 2019 :  3:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder whether practicing with a pellet pistol might help?

It’s cheaper than real bullets, and you don’t need to drive to the range, so it cuts down on the time factor; and I expect there would be some ‘carry-over’ to shooting ‘real’ guns.

I have a CO2-powered version of my SIG P226 that’s pretty neat. I think they make pellet versions of quite a few guns.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on April 14 2019 3:06:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34434 Posts

Posted - April 14 2019 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought an RCBS Rock Chucker 30+ years ago. It just keeps pumping out amm. Me? I sticking a with Detroit PD trade in .40 M&P and a .38 snub.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2380 Posts

Posted - April 14 2019 :  8:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several old reloading presses. Using Dillon 450 now for .38spl and 9mm, I think I am only saving 4 cents a round on the nines, more on the .38s. PSA has federal 9s for 169.99 shipped that's a pretty good price. I try to load in 500 rnd. blocks and have the time to do it so it still pays for me.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000