Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Another new job thread
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Another new job thread
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5522 Posts

Posted - March 05 2019 :  5:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, since the store closed, I've had a couple months of 'Uncle Joe' time, just waking up in the morning and having to decide whether or not I want to get up and do anything. Gets old pretty quick. So Momma and Grandma both seem to think I need to get out and do something useful--especially if there would be a paycheck involved.
So, we ran into some old church friends, and he told me the place he works for was looking for transport drivers for delivering people to and from doctor appointments and such. So, a week or so back I started the application process, and apparently I fooled them enough that they decided they would put me to work. So, today I finished the sign-up paperwork, peed in a cup for a drug test, and apparently will be starting the job next Tuesday. Told them I really didn't want to drive one of those big transport busses, but anything with a van or car would be great. So, according to the HR lady today, they plan to put me on routes to some surrounding towns, a half-hour to an hour away, and it should almost all be van or car, no big bus. So, now I have to stay cleaned up, dress 'office casual' instead of 'comfortable', and behave myself. Kinda looking forward to it. We'll see how it works out.
So, if it goes like it's supposed to, I'll be back to making the internet ammo companies happy. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5395 Posts

Posted - March 06 2019 :  05:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the sort of company that might be unhappy to learn a driver is armed? Of course we all know you "wouldn't" do that.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1030 Posts

Posted - March 06 2019 :  08:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Ace, on the new job. Hope it works well for you. I have a good friend that delivers new cars to dealers in the mid south. Also have another that drives a truck delivering car parts in and around mid TN. Both make about 15.00 per hour and work as much as they want. They like it as it staves off boredom, for them both, and brings in fun money.

I am not interested in gaining any employment, but will be starting a, big for me, remodel project in our home next week(?). First need to remove all the furniture then will begin. Replacing the flooring in 2 rooms and 40' hallway and putting down hardwood. Also taking out a 10' wall. Will add 5' to my dining room by removing the wall. You know wives likes change. Flooring is expensive and is cutting into my travel budget.

Edited to add; No out west trip for us this year!

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on March 06 2019 08:37:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5522 Posts

Posted - March 06 2019 :  12:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The issue of armed\not armed hasn't come up yet. I won't bring it up. There are gunbuster signs on some of the doors, but by state law they don't apply to retired LEO. New employee orientation is coming up, we'll see if anything is mentioned. No doubt the issue will be handled appropiately.

Pop, I envy your ability to take on such a project. If I tried that, they would have to condemn the house as uninhabitable. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1030 Posts

Posted - March 07 2019 :  9:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, my wife and I started building the house we have lived in for the past 34 years. I was much younger then and able to do a lot of work. The building trades all but dried up and a man came to me and told me he would frame the house cheaper than I could hire some carpenters and do it myself. He did and I hired him but sweetie and I finished the house ourselves except for laying the brick. Those time has past for men now as I am not physically able to do a lot of that type construction any longer.

The room and hallway remodel will be a big undertaking for me now. If I can't do it I will just hire someone, but I want to try. Labor will be as much, if not more than the cost of materials. I figure I can save as much as half if successful.

Hope you make out on the armed part Ace. Would be nice to have your "Roscoe" with you. I really felt naked when I had to leave mine home last year while RVing the Northeast. Don't like that feeling at all.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Smith58
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - March 11 2019 :  01:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, if that's the company I think it is, I used to work for their student division in Kansas City. If so, they're a good company; their checks don't bounce!

Now I've moved on to a school bus. Keeps me entertained.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
946 Posts

Posted - March 11 2019 :  8:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop Pop, make double darn sure that wall isn't load bearing. Back where I used to live, an extended family made a project out of removing a wall in a house. They cleaned everything up and everyone went out to dinner (payback for the help). When the family got back to the house, it was a pile of rubble.

I'm pretty sure that turned out to be a more extensive renovation than they planned.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Edited by - WR Moore on March 11 2019 8:38:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5522 Posts

Posted - March 12 2019 :  4:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First day today, seems like it's gonna be a good fit. It'll take some time to learn where everybody's house is, and getting the information on the little computer pads the way they want it, but everybody is friendly, and there are several old duffers there doing it as a retirement job, so I otta fit right in.

Smith, the company is PACE, and part of one of the hospice places in town. The other drivers I've gotten to talk to seem to like it, and they all are willing to help. I'm doing what they call 'PRN', so once training and orientation is done, I pretty much get to pick my hours. Could turn out pretty cushy. Ace

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000