Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 44 Magum
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Cop Corner
 44 Magum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

gold40

92 Posts

Posted - February 24 2019 :  5:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I watched an old Clint Eastwood "Dirty Harry" movie this week. It got me to wondering if any major city police force ever allowed their detectives, or uniformed officers, to carry the 44 Magnum?

I was told that some small town sheriffs did so, but that may just be hearsay...

Dave in PA
Average Member

USA
440 Posts

Posted - February 24 2019 :  7:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Evan will chime in, but I believe he carried a .41 magnum for a while. Not exactly the same but a very powerful round for sure.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4613 Posts

Posted - February 24 2019 :  9:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob Stasch carried a model 29 with the Chicago PD

used it too

search the name for his story

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5572 Posts

Posted - February 24 2019 :  9:36:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I carried a 4" Model 69 for a while, on the part-time job at my small town. It was loaded with .44Spl LSWCHP, two speed loaders with the same load, and a third loader with Magnum JSP 'just in case'. But that was a small town, and up to a point we kinda did our own thing.

.44 Magnum in real life ain't that good for defensive use; just too much of a good thing. Ace

edited at this late date to change that to 'Model 29'; proofreader musta been sleepy. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Edited by - Ace on May 04 2019 10:03:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1254 Posts

Posted - February 25 2019 :  09:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gold40

I watched an old Clint Eastwood "Dirty Harry" movie this week. It got me to wondering if any major city police force ever allowed their detectives, or uniformed officers, to carry the 44 Magnum?

I was told that some small town sheriffs did so, but that may just be hearsay...

Allowed? Officially? Well, a Model 29 was .38 Special or larger......

I think a couple of guys forgot to write the request memo.......

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1254 Posts

Posted - February 25 2019 :  09:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gold40

Allowed? Officially? Well, a Model 29 was .38 Special or larger......

I think a couple of guys forgot to write the request memo.......

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4613 Posts

Posted - February 25 2019 :  10:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at one point Chicago PD could carry a backup if they could qualify, they were also required to carry the issue weapon

full size automatics and large frame big bores were "backups"

issue .38 j-frames were the issue primary

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2735 Posts

Posted - February 25 2019 :  12:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keith Jones carried a 44 loaded with "factory" ammo loaded by Denny I believe, souped up loads in 44 special brass IIRC think they were approximately equivalent to 45 ACP+P/45 Super levels with 180 JHP but I don’t recall which JHP that was used.

I know another departed LEO that carrried magnum or near magnum level hand loads in 44 special brass. He stopped at least one bad guy with that load after being shot first with a 9mm. He survived gunfight fine but had to take medical retirement because of injuries making an arrested on separate incident.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34447 Posts

Posted - February 25 2019 :  2:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detroit allowed us to carry privately, dept approved, revolvers .38 Special or larger. I carried both a .41 and .444 Magnum revolvers.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3537 Posts

Posted - February 25 2019 :  2:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a .44 Magnum... but to the topic of 'non-standard' handguns... on one Navy tour my Department Head and Division Officer voiced no complaints when I carried a privately-owned S&W M19 revolver, with .357 ammo, instead of the on hand Navy issue handguns. Since it was in the states,there were no Geneva/Hague issues with JHP loads.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

silverback

USA
119 Posts

Posted - February 25 2019 :  4:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked just to the north of Evan and carried a S&W 58 41mag.It had to be 38spl or larger and we had to qualify with it and carry ammo.
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - February 25 2019 :  11:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was in college a very long time ago I had several Notrona Co. SO Deputies and Wy. HYW Patrol Troopers in my classes. One of the Deputies did in fact carry a S&W Model 29 in .44 magnum as a duty weapon. I was mildly surprised but it was Wyoming after all.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

J Wagner

210 Posts

Posted - February 26 2019 :  12:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC, Louisville, Ky SWAT officers carried Model 29s for a while.

I worked in a small town in Virginia in the 1980s. At various times, one officer, and a couple county deputies, carried .41 and .44 Magnum S&Ws.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1938 Posts

Posted - February 27 2019 :  1:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve got a friend who worked for a city in the greater Los Angeles area who carried a .44 Magnum. It wasn’t common, but some agencies had more liberal policies than others.

San Antonio and San Francisco issued S&W M58 .41 Mags for a short while.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Rexster

USA
96 Posts

Posted - May 04 2019 :  3:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Rexster an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Houston PD allowed .44 Magnum duty revolvers to be added, as primary duty handguns, until September 1997. As of September 1997, HPD officers could keep carrying those “grandfathered” weapons, if their qual did not lapse. So, it is possible that a particularly motivated HPD officer might be maintaining a qual with a .44 Magnum duty handgun. As for off-the-clock, personal carry, or a back-up weapon while on duty, any 2”-4” DA revolver, from .38 to .45, with which one has fired a qual within the past year, remained OK, at the time of my retirement last year, so it is possible that some few HPD officers may be carrying .44 Magnums during personal time, and there may even be a few kept in gear bags, while on duty.

While in the Houston PD academy, in 1983-1984, I was required to train and qual with a 4” .357 duty handgun. Upon graduation, in March 1984, I could qual with, and then carry, 3” to 6” DA revolvers, from .38 to .45, and carry Magnums at my discretion. I felt a need to prove I was sufficiently masculine, so, of course, carried a 4” Model 629, for my first year on the street.

In March, 1985, as soon as I could switch to an auto-loader, I started carrying my HK P7. I reckoned I had proven I could shoot a hand-held cannon, and my right wrist needed a break, from the muzzle flip.

As soon as we adopted open-top retention holsters, for revolvers, however, I bought a Rogers Trooper duty holster, and started carrying the more-sensible Model 58, .41 Magnum.

About 1990, after the Safariland SS III became the approved duty holster for autos, I started carrying a Stainless Commander, until its reliability went south, in 1991, at which time I started carrying a P220. After three or four times or finding the heel-clip mag release system had allowed a partial mag drop, I returned to duty revolvers, but sanity prevailed; .357 Magnum, 125-grain JHC/JHP ammo. I finally reverted to autos for duty in 1997.

Notably, I believe that shooting big-bore Magnums, in the Eighties, caused a considerable portion of the damage that manifested itself at age fifty, when it became painful to shoot .40 S&W from my duty P229R. In hindsight, I wish I had stayed with .357 Magnum, in revolvers, from the beginning. My right thumb/hand/wrist would probably hurt less, my bank account would probably be bigger, and I might have worked a full 35 years, instead of retiring at 34 years. (Thirty years is “normal,” but for a long time, I had thought I would go for 35+.)

Have Colts, will travel
Go to Top of Page

Rexster

USA
96 Posts

Posted - May 04 2019 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Rexster an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Let’s keep in mind that the muzzle flip of a .44 Magnum S&W N-Frame is not just due to the power of the cartridge, but the simple geometry and force vectors at work, with a higher bore-axis. The axis of the N-Frame’s bore is higher above the shooter’s arm bones. I could fire follow-up rounds much more quickly with my GP100 and K-Frames, which is why I was much better-armed in the Nineties than in the Eighties.

Have Colts, will travel
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34447 Posts

Posted - May 05 2019 :  3:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a set of Herrett's Jordan Trooper grips which are carved to fit My hand for M 57. when I picked up a 6 1/2" Model 29 I bought a box of .44 Special rnl ammo, a couple of boxes of new Winchester brass and Win bullets so I could load some 3/4 loads that would pass for factory ammo and one box of Win 240 gr swc. I took the Herrett's off my Model 57 and put them on the M29. I worked up some 3/4 loads and shot them and found them pleasant so I tried a cylinder of Win factory ammo and found them ok, so I just carried full power ammo. I was working one holiday and my regular partners were off and the asked me if he could shoot a few rounds thru my M29 so I took the JT grips off. We went to a precinct range and he fired three rounds before deciding it was too unpleasant to shoot. I fired the remaining 3 rounds and found it rather painful so I quickly reinstalled the JT's.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000