Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 10/22 problem
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 10/22 problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ajt
Average Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  10:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took my 10/22 to the range to try out some ammunition received as a Christmas gift. The bolt did not stay open after the last round and I manually locked it open to check that all rounds had been fired. The bolt is now stuck in the open position. Looking at the net I find that this is/was a common problem with the 10/22 with a number of different causes and fixes. I'm going to turn this one over to the gunsmith. This gun is probably close to thirty years old and has had thousands and thousands of rounds through it and this is the first problem with it - other than the front sight shattering when it bumped a hard surface. I was looking at the new 10/22 takedowns. Anyone have any experience with them?

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  12:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 10/22 Take Down Lite and love it. I shoot it in Steel Challenge competition and am within a few percentage points of making Master. The factory trigger was in the 5 pound range, but Ruger has a BX Match trigger (drop in, about $90) that dropped it to about 2.75 pounds.

This model comes with two interchangeable combs. The high comb is perfect (for me) with a compact reflex sight, and the low comb was perfect (for me) with a scope. With a scope (6x) I was getting right around one inch groups at 50-yards with Federal Hunter Match, and CCI Mini-Mag.

I like the take down feature because it makes cleaning the action area very simple, and I can clean the barrel from the breech, instead of the muzzle. That makes it easy to get the chamber clean as a whistle. I've only been shooting it for a couple years (maybe 6000 rounds) but have had no negative issues. I have also found that the 15-round BX magazines are totally reliable... in addition to the 10-rounders.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1023 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  12:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased one new about 3 years ago. Never could get it to shoot without jamming. Tried several different ammunitions. Sent it back to Ruger and they could not repair it so they sent me a new one to replace the old rifle. They asked me for a gun dealer to send it too and I gave the address of the place where I had originally purchased the rifle. I had to pay 10.00 for the check. I did not expect the hassle and time to return the rifle to Ruger.

I have not put the new Ruger 1022 SS takedown together, yet, to see if it will shoot. Waiting on warmer weather. I will say I am not totally impressed with the Ruger 1022 at this time. I have two older Marlin rifles(model 60 22 lr and a 22 Magnum bolt rifle) and one Winchester 69-A 22 LR that have been problem free.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on January 24 2019 12:37:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

JD

USA
109 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  3:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You state "The bolt did not stay open after the last round" Ruger 10/22's DO NOT lock open after the last round. The only way for a 10/22 bolt to lock open is to do it manually. As far as as the bolt being stuck in the open position, are you sure that you have released the bolt hold open? 10/22 bolts do not release by simply pulling the bolt to the rear, but rather the bolt release HAS TO BE manually pushed in to the released position...

JD
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5507 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  5:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a customer come into the store with a 'stuck' bolt on a 1022; his buddy had cleaned it for him and returned it this way. I showed him how the bolt release, the little flat lever next to the trigger guard, worked, and he was happy. The story doesn't answer the original question, but....

Is it possible the release lever is just dirty, maybe a drop or two of oil might help? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  11:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess that I didn't explain myself very well. When firing my 10/22, at the first 'click' I looked down and opened the bolt to see if I had fired all of the rounds. I had. I removed the empty magazine (an old Eagle 30 rd magazine), inserted a loaded Ruger 10 round mag, and pressed the bolt lock/release lever that is right behind the magazine release tab, and in front of the trigger guard. I could not get the bolt to release. It feels like there is no movement in the release lever. No movement when pushing at the 'top' of it, nearest the stock, or at the bottom of it - at the most distant point away from the firearm. Or in the middle, for what that's worth. Even tried some pressure with a pair of needle nose pliers while my son held the bolt back to remove any bolt pressure on the release. As I said, I looked it up on the net and there were a numerous returns to the inquiry with multiple reasons for it sticking. I sprayed it heavily with penetrating oil and let it set for a while and tried again. No go. Looking to see if a bolt/slide has locked open is probably a habit from over 50 years of firing multiple types of firearms. Age and memory may have something to do with it too. Once in a while I find that I have to dig out an old owners manual to remember how to disassemble or re-assemble a firearm that I haven't used in awhile. The mind's just not as sharp, or the hand as steady, as it used to be. Thank you all for the info and responses.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5507 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  11:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, dang it. I hoped it was something simple. Please let us know what happens. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1444 Posts

Posted - January 25 2019 :  01:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 10/22 is an old one ( cost less than 100.00 new) before I started to look into what I could do to get it ready for an appleseed shoot I was just as frustrated as you. mine did the same thing I had to wiggle the bolt stop back and forth to get it to ether stay open, or release the bolt to close it. The older 10/22's had a narrow slot that the pin has to travel in, like an upside down U that can't stand up You can fix it with a file like I did. I did search for a pre-made one,but found there was a 10/22 site that talked me through doing it with a file, or buy the Ruger drop in.
I found You really don't need to take it to a gunsmith, take the stock off then there are two push pins to take out they almost fall out. Then you can remove the trigger group out spray some air if is gunky add some solvent especially around the pin. I just googled fixing the hold open on a10/22 and looked for 10/22 parts if I remember. Good luck.
there are tons of parts for your 10/22. Out side of the receiver you can get a replacement for everything else. I replaced the extractor and stopped having stovepipes.

If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - January 26 2019 :  10:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the "bandaidman repair" - used my Dremel and smoothed out the protruding post in the oblong hole of the bolt stop and smoothed out the edges, and that seems to have fixed it! These old arthritic fingers don't work well with small pins but I finally got it done. It should be fairly easy fix for anyone with normal hands. My thanks to bandaidman and all who responded.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000