Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - favorite calibers
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 favorite calibers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - January 11 2019 :  4:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, I am talking about the ones you shoot for fun. We all have a special deer cartridge and one for woodchucks and one for elk etc. etc.. But what do you grab to shoot just for fun. I have a couple, first is the .223 I like the lack of any recoil and the fact it can be reloaded so cheap, then comes the 30-30 I have two rifles for this one, an H&R single shot and a Ted Williams lever action carbine. I should add in the .22lr as it is most likely the funnest one of all. I do shoot the .308 from a Savage bolt gun and the .303 because I really like the jungle carbine. So how could I pass up a Stevens bolt in .223 for less the 250.00. I have a high power scope to put on it and have hopes of sitting at my bench behind the shed and shooting on hole groups and not have to chase the empty brass like I do with my ARs.
Tell us about yours.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5507 Posts

Posted - January 11 2019 :  5:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big fan of .22, cheap enough for plenty of trigger time, gives me practice keeping the reticle/trigger control, I can step out the back door and pop a few rounds occasionally without getting the neighbors riled up. My current play toy is a Henry lever action--a partial 'retirement' gift from the now-closed store--with .22 Shorts; plan to make it a squirrel gun once I get it all figured out. Afraid I might have to scope it; not doing iron sight as good as I used to.
That .223 is fun, too. My Stevens bolt action actually doesn't do too bad with cheap Russkie ammo, and my shoulder doesn't seem to throb as much as with the .308, after an hour on the range.
Anything is fun; now with no part-time retirement job (yet), cheap is good. Glad I got lots of .22 packed away. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1023 Posts

Posted - January 12 2019 :  08:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Marlin mdl 60 22 LR topped with a Leupold 3x9 scope and lots of pesky squirrels. This rifle is a tack driver.

Last spring, we developed a grey squirrel problem that became serious. My neighbor and I fed birds all winter, and when spring came, we both quit feeding. The grey squirrels had gotten over populated, while feeding on the dropped bird seed. When we quit feeding they started trying to get into our attic, chewed a hole in my RV holding tank, and eat the gas lines off my big truck that we pull the RV with. Needless to say it cost me about 1500.00 out of pocket, and then I started thinning them out. I quit counting at 400. I only shoot them in our back yard, which has about 1 acer of trees, and I have now been successful in eliminating our problem. That little rifle is a sweet piece, and my most favorite rifle.

I also have a shooting range set up behind my house, however the wooden back stop has rotted and I am going to need to rebuild this spring. Plan to put in a dirt mound this time. My wife and I shoot a lot and we need a safe place to do it. We are respectful of our neighbors and don't shoot early or late. So far I have had no complaints. I tried 2 different air rifles, but neither was up to the task.

I still shoot about 5 squirrels every 2 to 3 weeks and don't plan on getting over populated again. The TWRA says we can't eat them, if killed because of becoming a nuisance, so I feed the wild animals, except for hunting season. I can keep them and eat the squirrels when it is open. Sometimes one just needs to take care of problems we create unknowingly. There is about 5 acers of woods around my home and I would have never thought there would be that many squirrels living in them.

This story may sound bad, but my neighbor had them get into his attic and he was forced to re-wire his whole house, which his homeowners insurance paid for. Another friend had to pay 3500.00 to get the wiring harness replaced on his pickup 3 times now. Squirrels can cause a lot of damage if allowed to get to become a nuisance.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on January 12 2019 08:59:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5507 Posts

Posted - January 12 2019 :  10:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang, Pop, that'd be a lot of squirrel pot pies. Had you thought of keeping the tails and selling them to Mepps fishing lure company? I think they take gray as well as red squirrel tails. Sounds like you could earn enough to invite us all to a barbeque. Ace

edit to add: Your mentioning the Model 60 reminds me, I have one tucked away in the corner of my room in the basement. Ugly old thing; it got smoke damaged in a house fire way back when. I did a redneck garage refinishing job on it, had to unrust all the steel, and sand the stock down to bare wood to get the smoke smell out of it. I cold-blued it, then put on a custom camo finish on the whole thing; don't remember if it was Krylon or Rustoleum. But I remember it being an accurate little piece. I think I'll go dig it out, clean it up, and give it a workout.

To keep the thread on track, I'd like to add that I'm fond of .410 for playing, as well as hunting bunnies and tree rats; don't get to shoot mine much anymore--lost all my hunting spots, don't reload so .410 is kinda costly to plink'n'play with. But I do like it. Brings back memories when I do get to use it. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Edited by - Ace on January 12 2019 10:35:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1023 Posts

Posted - January 12 2019 :  10:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had no Idea you could sell them. I will say, according to TWRA I can do nothing but throw them away, except during hunting season. If I was profiting from killing them, I could possibly get in trouble. I am not getting as many as when I first started, but there were 2 in my back yard when we eat breakfast this morning. I get nervous when they go under my RV, and Truck, and one of the little critters ventured under both.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - January 12 2019 :  3:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Big fan of .22, cheap enough for plenty of trigger time, gives me practice keeping the reticle/trigger control, I can step out the back door and pop a few rounds occasionally without getting the neighbors riled up. My current play toy is a Henry lever action--a partial 'retirement' gift from the now-closed store--with .22 Shorts; plan to make it a squirrel gun once I get it all figured out. Afraid I might have to scope it; not doing iron sight as good as I used to.
That .223 is fun, too. My Stevens bolt action actually doesn't do too bad with cheap Russkie ammo, and my shoulder doesn't seem to throb as much as with the .308, after an hour on the range.
Anything is fun; now with no part-time retirement job (yet), cheap is good. Glad I got lots of .22 packed away. Ace

Ace, tell a little bit about your stevens bolt gun. Is it .223?
Russ

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5507 Posts

Posted - January 12 2019 :  8:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a model 200, gray polymer stock, 22" barrel I think. Not fancy at all, but it's more accurate than my capabilities need. It just reinforces my Scottish ancestors' attitude that expensive doesn't always mean better. It even shoots the cheap Russkie 55gr soft points enough to make coyotes unhappy; in my hands, easily minute-of-coyote of coyote at my limit. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - January 13 2019 :  07:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

It's a model 200, gray polymer stock, 22" barrel I think. Not fancy at all, but it's more accurate than my capabilities need. It just reinforces my Scottish ancestors' attitude that expensive doesn't always mean better. It even shoots the cheap Russkie 55gr soft points enough to make coyotes unhappy; in my hands, easily minute-of-coyote of coyote at my limit. Ace

Thanks Ace, that's what I have coming. Hoped to pick it up yesterday but I had a nose bleed that would not stop and ended up in ER now I have a balloon inflated in my nose, but at least it quit bleeding.
Russ

Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

277 Posts

Posted - January 13 2019 :  2:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
308, 6.5 cm and 223 in that order. Am guessing over 90% of my rifle reloading is 308 target rounds that can be used in bolt or semi's.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9758 Posts

Posted - January 14 2019 :  11:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for fun, I normally will shoot a .22 - less noise (even though I do own a couple of suppressors).

When I go the farm, I usually have a 30-30 or a .308 but I don't shoot much there. I also often have a .223 which is useful for any 4 legged varmints I might run into.

Sometimes its an AR and sometimes it is a Mossberg MVP - but I messed up and bought one early and the barrel is not threaded for a suppressor.

I guess one could say load development is shooting for fun, sort of, and there it just depends on what cartridge I'm working on but I don't do that as much any more unless something new comes along - like the .300 Blackout, I've fooled with that a little.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5376 Posts

Posted - January 15 2019 :  07:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.22LR, .223, and for now .308. I wish I had more money than good looks so I could afford to go with say a .338 and a barrel full of Ammo to replace the.308 selection. I do have a pair of mule kicking Mosin rifles but my .308 is more accurate.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1698 Posts

Posted - January 18 2019 :  10:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm kind of the odd guy out here,........ nothing I more enjoy than shooting a .375 H&H Magnum. Fortunately I lucked into a Gun Show deal 20 odd years ago from a retired NC State Trooper whose I had gotten to know at the shows and while working the details there. I picked up 7 or 8 box's of older Winchester 270 grain soft points for I believe 75 dollars. I know,... long time ago. If not that I have an affinity for the .45-70. I was kind of weaned on the larger calibers and they just stuck. A frustrated PH in another life perhaps?

MSS
Go to Top of Page

ironhead7544

USA
57 Posts

Posted - January 29 2019 :  07:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
44 Magnum in a revolver or a Marlin Cowboy. 200 gr cast RNFP with enough Unique to get 1300 fps from a 24 inch rifle barrel. Little recoil and accurate enough for 100 yard soda cans. This load is about equal to the original 44-40 load.
Go to Top of Page

silverback

USA
115 Posts

Posted - January 29 2019 :  12:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for me 38spl in handgun and 6mm Dasher in rifle I am on third barrel on the Dasher(way to much fun at 1000yds)
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1111 Posts

Posted - January 30 2019 :  06:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
30-06 McGowan barrel, Mauser bolt action, wood is a straight grain walnut stock which I made, glass-bedded, and floated barrel. This gun has killed most of the big game in North America and my affection for it is based on that, along with the fact that I made the stock. I asked Harry McGowan to make the thinnest barrel he could for the caliber, because I was hunting in the Rocky Mountain states a lot in those days (1980s) and weight was a factor. Weight also motivated my selection of the straight grained wood instead of the fancy figured stuff which is heavier.

Age has taken its toll since those days, but I still deer hunt and often use that rifle because it is my favorite. If I could only have one rifle to deer hunt with, this one would be my selection.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1023 Posts

Posted - January 30 2019 :  10:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gouchobill, my favorite deer rifle is a 30 06 Weatherby Vanguard Mdl 2. I had a Redfield 3x9x40 scope on it, however I just gave it away to my grandson. vie his father until he is old enough. Don't expect to be deer hunting any longer.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1023 Posts

Posted - January 30 2019 :  10:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gouchobill, my favorite deer rifle is a 30 06 Weatherby Vanguard Mdl 2. I had a Redfield 3x9x40 scope on it, however I just gave it away to my grandson. vie his father until he is old enough. Don't expect to be deer hunting any longer.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1444 Posts

Posted - January 30 2019 :  9:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Ace, that's what I have coming. Hoped to pick it up yesterday but I had a nose bleed that would not stop and ended up in ER now I have a balloon inflated in my nose, but at least it quit bleeding.
Russ

Russ, they used to use cocaine for nose bleeds now days you can't get medical cocaine, but it works far better than a balloon and doesn't hurt ether
I bought a 788 Remington 308 in a pawn shop years ago as a "loaner" for my non gun owning friends to go hunting with me, While at work one of the patients dads invited myself and a respiratory therapist to come hunting with them. His F-I-L helped him load up some rounds, put a little pressure bedding under the forend and it was shooting 1/2 inch groups or better at 100 yards. He got his deer, (that's another story) I got it back after telling him NO he couldn't buy it. I bought a brown precision stock and a canjar trigger for it and had another friend who did autobody painting paint a desert cammo and it has been my favorite just wish I knew if canjar triggers can be repaired as they aren't made anymore. Bought a 22-250 788 for ground hogs, ground squirrels, and the occasional coyote. 44 mag M29 for hunting now days hoping to go bear hunting again if I get the chance.
AR's are fun I just haven't had any time before and since my back surgery to shoot mine, all I was able to do since I bought it was to sight it in. I'm waiting around until I am cleared to pick up things heavier than 5 pounds and can do so with my arms straight out as in pistol shooting.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

USA
177 Posts

Posted - January 31 2019 :  08:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 'for fun' rifles, in order of use, are:

.22 LR in my Ruger 10/22 w/open sights, and CCI MM .36 gr. HP as my primary load, and my 'back-up' or general-use is the Remington Golden Bullet which is also a plated 36 gr. HP.

.223 / 5.56 in my custom AR w/open sights, and any 55 gr. FMJ for plinking, or Hornady 55 gr. Spire Point or Federal 55 gr. JHP for critter hunting.

.357 Mag in a Ruger 77/.357 Bolt Action w/QD Leupold low-power scope or the installed large Peep-Sight, and almost always the Remington 125 gr. SJSP for critters to medium-size game.

'840'

Yes, I, too, have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

esq_stu

USA
915 Posts

Posted - February 02 2019 :  8:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
300 blackout. Very versatile, wide range of weights and velocities, wide range of barrel lengths, a pussy cat for recoil but plenty of power. Minimal flash. Fun to shoot.

Kol Tuv (All the best!)

-- esq_stu

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000