Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Fiocchi ammo, .44Spl Soft Point
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 Fiocchi ammo, .44Spl Soft Point
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5446 Posts

Posted - November 20 2018 :  7:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just ordered some I found at a decent price; now I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience or knowledge with the load. Will it penetrate and expand out of a 5" barrel, suitable for deers and pigs? Or just good practice/plinking fodder? Thanks in advance. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1093 Posts

Posted - November 22 2018 :  07:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found that the Fiocchi 9mm 147 gr. HPs are very accurate in my 9mm guns. Actually, 147 gr. HPs of any brands I have shot are generally very accurate in my guns.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5446 Posts

Posted - November 22 2018 :  10:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it got here early, but they sent me Hollow Points. We'll be trying them out at the traditional Thanksgiving range time. I mainly got them because of the price, to help collect enough brass to maybe someday start reloading. IF they happen to be hot enough to hunt with, that would be gravy. Already got a couple of good SWC and WC loads for that, but more options are better. I've shot Fiocchi before, and don't remember anything bad about them. I'll report back, because I know everybody is waiting breathlessly.
Happy Turkey Day! Ace

edit to add: Well, we did the traditional range time before dinner. The Fiocchi load seems pretty substantial out of the 5" Ruger, almost like a +P. Also, the hollow point seems large enough, and the exposed lead soft enough, that I would expect it to upset and expand decently. Didn't have the chronograph, so can't say the actual velocity, but by country boy standards, it feels as 'hot' as the Underwood SWC and WC, and Gold Dot HP, loads I've tried.
So, if they keep being in the lower-cost range and stay available, I'll try to put some back for practice, and maybe they will make a good 2nd or 3rd choice after the Underwood stuff.
Oh, and I did find out that the 255gr SWC heavy load from Buffalo Bore is too much fun for this gun. Woulda been great in the heavier Redhawk; maybe I'll give the leftovers to the little nephew.

Thanks for the time, and if anybody knows anything good or bad about the Fiocchi load, please feel free to educate me. Ace again

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Edited by - Ace on November 22 2018 9:11:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9737 Posts

Posted - November 28 2018 :  10:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the JHPs looke like Hornady XTPs?

I tried the old load which was 200 gr JHP with lead exposed. It went about 800 fps and it did expand, but just a little, in a 4".

I'd say it would be adequate for deer and maybe the normal sized boar...IF the placement is spot on.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5446 Posts

Posted - November 28 2018 :  12:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These have exposed lead, about maybe a quarter to a third of the visible bullet. I've shot some loads that claim ~800-850fps, these seem to be hotter. Hoping to shoot some over the chronograph for of these days. Ace

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000