Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Red Dot problem on .22 Victory
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 Red Dot problem on .22 Victory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ajt
Average Member

USA
294 Posts

Posted - October 31 2018 :  5:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just remounted the red dot sight on my S&W Victory for the third time. After a couple of hundred rounds the mounting rail had come loose, and the sight has to be removed to get to the single mounting screw. (I also just changed to a more compact sight so I wouldn't have to do a re-mount if it comes loose again.) I used fingernail polish on the thread with the initial mount - couldn't locate my loctite, but have used blue loctite on the two subsequent mounts. I cleaned the screw threads with a wire wheel on a dremel each time and used a q-tip with solvent to clean the threads in the frame. Don't know what the problem is here as the one that I mounted on my Ruger Mk2 is as solid as a rock and probably has twice the round count of the Victory. Any suggestions?

Also, I noticed that others have their red dots centered on their handgun's rail, where applicable, where I mounted my to the rear as this gave me the best optimal view between the back and front lens of the optic. I have also seen soome mounted as far forward as it could be - right over the ejection ports. I was thinking that this was just personal preference - or is there a reason for mounting it center or forward on rail?

Edited by - ajt on November 01 2018 1:52:33 PM

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3408 Posts

Posted - November 01 2018 :  07:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many competitive shooters using compact reflex sights (not tubular red dots), especially in Steel Challenge where the gun starts from a Low Ready and fractions of a second count BIG in the final score, mount the sight more forward in order to get a locked wrist sight picture and pick up the dot immediately as they bring the gun to the target. This also applies to Bullseye shooter who start their Timed and Rapid fire strings from Low Ready. The forward sight position makes for a faster dot pick up with reflex sights. It is less important for casual shooters,and not overly important with tubular red dots.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on November 01 2018 07:21:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
294 Posts

Posted - November 01 2018 :  1:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris - Thanks for the information.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5446 Posts

Posted - November 01 2018 :  4:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thought, with the cleaning of the threads, is the method abrasive enough to cause any wear that might keep them from attaching tightly enough? Dunno if I worded that right. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3408 Posts

Posted - November 01 2018 :  4:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

One thought, with the cleaning of the threads, is the method abrasive enough to cause any wear that might keep them from attaching tightly enough? Dunno if I worded that right. Ace

Blue LocTite should work well. If not, as Ace notes, there may be another issue. I played extensively with a Victory, and had no issues with the gun as it came out of the box... including the rail.

If you can't secure the rail with LocTite, I would call S&W customer service and talk to them. They're not too bad.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5446 Posts

Posted - November 01 2018 :  11:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duct tape? Super glue? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2702 Posts

Posted - November 02 2018 :  05:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Many competitive shooters using compact reflex sights (not tubular red dots), especially in Steel Challenge where the gun starts from a Low Ready and fractions of a second count BIG in the final score, mount the sight more forward in order to get a locked wrist sight picture and pick up the dot immediately as they bring the gun to the target. This also applies to Bullseye shooter who start their Timed and Rapid fire strings from Low Ready. The forward sight position makes for a faster dot pick up with reflex sights. It is less important for casual shooters,and not overly important with tubular red dots.

For a while Iíve thought a small red dot, like the newish one designed to mount to shotgun barrel's vent rib if visib,e to shooter and light weight enough could be mounted in front sight position and used like shotgun bead but with lot more precision.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2702 Posts

Posted - November 02 2018 :  05:41:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Duct tape? Super glue? Ace

DuctTape, the Handymanís Secret Weapon
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva

USA
234 Posts

Posted - November 02 2018 :  3:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the Victory shooters I've chatted with seem to really like the Venom Vortex for their optic. A lot of positive feedback on it.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3408 Posts

Posted - November 02 2018 :  3:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva

Some of the Victory shooters I've chatted with seem to really like the Venom Vortex for their optic. A lot of positive feedback on it.

Just about any decent reflex sight will work on a .22 rifle or pistol because they are not subject to the extreme G-forces the sight experiences when mounted into a semi-auto pistol slide.

For those who want a slide mount... you get what you pay for. The ones that will last aren't cheap... nor are they Made In China

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
294 Posts

Posted - November 05 2018 :  12:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay in responding - been down with the flu for several days. I contacted Smith & Wesson's Service Department and the individual that I spoke with had no solution to offer. I asked if I could get a replacement for the mounting screw and was told that it was out of stock, they were not permitted to back-order, and to call back in about two weeks to see if part number 440140000 was back in stock. He said that the screw size/dimensions/threads were not listed on the parts list - I wanted to see if I could just get a replacement with the same length and threads at the local hardware store.
As to duct tape... an acquaintance actually suggested cutting a very thin pieces and lowering it into the treads before threading in the screw, sort of the way you might use a tooth pick or match stick with a loose wood screw, but I think I will wait until I've exhausted any other possibilities until I try going that route. Going to take the screw to the hardware store and see if they can identify the threads and can provide at match to it.
Thanks to all who responded.
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva

USA
234 Posts

Posted - November 09 2018 :  3:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, is the Venom Vortex considered one of those budget type sights or one of the quality ones? I have no experience with them or even know where they are made.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3408 Posts

Posted - November 09 2018 :  3:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva

Chris, is the Venom Vortex considered one of those budget type sights or one of the quality ones? I have no experience with them or even know where they are made.

The Vortex Venom is used by a number of competitive shooters. The 'competition forums' I visit show no real product flaming. I have no experience with it, but the reviews seem good. The fact that a number of competitive shooters use it (they fire a whole bunch pf rounds and complain when products fail) without major complaints, would tell me it's likely to work on a .22LR.

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva

USA
234 Posts

Posted - November 10 2018 :  3:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your quick reply. It's just what I needed to know.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000