Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Marlin 336Y at the range
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Precision Battle Rifle
 Marlin 336Y at the range
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2702 Posts

Posted - July 11 2018 :  03:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think Iíve mentioned before we got the gf a 30-30 Marlin 336Y a while ago, first centerfire Rifle she liked.

Though she's had the rifle for quite some time between work and health issues hasnít really had a chance to take her new rifle out and shoot it.

Only put three loads through it, was more familiarizing & trying the new rifle out than anything real serious.

Loads used were Hornady low recoil 150 grain, the Federal 125 JHP recommended by Evan & Keith, and Federal 170 Nosler partition.

I was pleasantly surprised by how mild the 170 Partition load was, I was worried it might be a bit stiff in the Youth/Spikehorn Marlin.

For me it was actually the most comfortable load, though it was also the last load we shot, so I might have just been mounting the gun a bit better or something.

The gf on the other hand liked the Federal 125 JHP load, but was fine with the 170 laid as well.

Note this was with the factory hard plastic buttplate, not sure if we are going to put a recoil pad on it or not.

Also trying to figure out sighting options, gf doesnít care for aperture sights at all, but the factory semibuckhorn sights arenít worth much at least with my eyes.

Might go with a Red Dot, need to find someplace weíre she can try Red Dot.

Might try a 1-4X or so Leupold.

ironhead7544

USA
53 Posts

Posted - July 11 2018 :  05:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new Leupold 1-4x is reasonably priced and looks good.

Most gun shops will have a red dot in stock she can look at.

I like the Leupold 2.5x light weight for a lever rifle.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5426 Posts

Posted - July 11 2018 :  10:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at the lower-power (1-4x, I think) Leopold Fire Dot. Compact, so it won't over balance the little gun; got the lighted dot option for low light, and....well... it's a Leupold. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3396 Posts

Posted - July 11 2018 :  1:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Take a look at the lower-power (1-4x, I think) Leopold Fire Dot. Compact, so it won't over balance the little gun; got the lighted dot option for low light, and....well... it's a Leupold. Ace

+1. A 1x4 is about ideal for that gun and its likely use. Add a lighted dot and it gets even handier.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5426 Posts

Posted - July 11 2018 :  3:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm quite fond of the 336Y, wish I hadn't sold the one I had. Thinking hard about putting another one together---then again, a former co-worker just contacted me about a Security Six she might be willing to sell..... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5362 Posts

Posted - July 11 2018 :  10:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got one last fall, put a 3x9 Bushnell scope with se thru mounts. Not shot it yet... I'm hoping to get to that soon.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1088 Posts

Posted - July 12 2018 :  07:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington and it is a great little rifle. Have downed a few hogs with it and didn't have to follow any of them.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2702 Posts

Posted - July 13 2018 :  12:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the idea with Fire Dot that you can use it more like Red Dot when scope is on low magnification?
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5426 Posts

Posted - July 13 2018 :  11:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe, but I haven't tried it that way. The Fire Dot has a small illuminated dot at the center of the crosshairs (if you turn it on). Works great for those last-five-minutes shots on a cloudy evening, or would be really helpful on, say, a nighttime pig hunt in Texas. Those times the crosshairs disappear in the dark, the dot keeps you centered, and makes those last-minute shots possible.
I'll have to get the rifle out and experiment; hadn't thought of it as a regular red dot sight. One of those 'I shudda thought of that' things. Ace

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5243 Posts

Posted - July 13 2018 :  11:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Meopta 1-4x22 is the same way: on the lowest setting, it works just like a red dot. You can keep both eyes open. Then if the battery fails and the dot disappears, there's still a crosshair.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000