Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - S&W Victory .22
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 S&W Victory .22
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ajt
Average Member

USA
267 Posts

Posted - July 05 2018 :  8:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the LGS to look at a Ruger Mk3 22/45 that was in their used case. I did not like the feel of the grip - not very much like a Government Model at all! The grip was too thin and the edges were too sharp. Right beside it was a Smith and Wesson SW22 Victory, which I looked at next. Not much to the grip but the gun itself was nice and light, well balanced and its an all metal handgun, as opposed to the 22/45. The price was just over $300 and it was less expensive than the used Ruger. I asked if the price marked was the used price and was told, no, it was new and on sale, and he didn't know what it was doing in the used case. Some one took control of my voice at that point and said "I'll take it!", just like that, before I had a chance to consider it any further. I looked around and there was nobody else there! Spooky. I don't know how that happened. Yeah, my wife didn't believe it either!
My son and I took it to the range today along with my Ruger Mk2 with the heavy barrell and red dot sight. The Victory's sights are three dot fibre optic plastic tubes and are on the small side, which made for a crowded sight picture. However the trigger was nice and light and very smooth. In fact we both agreed that we would have liked it better if it had been just a little bit crisper on the let off. But for the price... . We also both agreed that we preferred the Ruger's grips better - something I'd never have thought that I'd say. We put a hundred rounds of 40 gr. mini-mags and a hundred rounds of WW Wildcats through it and had two FTF's, one with each brand of ammo and from the same mag. The round chambering stopping about an eighth of an inch short from being fully chambered. On the one cartridge rim we could see where the extractor claw had ridden up over it a couple times as I worked the action several times to extract each of them. There were no such marks on the other case rim, and when I put both cartridges in a different magazine they both fed, fired and extracted just as they were supposed to. Don't know what was up with that! I had to use the tip of a small screw driver to get both of them out of the chamber, originally. There were no problems with any of the successive rounds. The Victory comes with a replacement rail and I think that a red dot sight is in its future, after we run a few hundred trouble free rounds through it. With a bit of concentration it was easy to hit a 3 inch bull at 50 feet with the open sights, but not as much fun as chewing it up using a red dot sight. But I like to know that the irons are there and sighted in. It was a fun afternoon.

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4950 Posts

Posted - July 05 2018 :  10:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ajt

Went to the LGS to look at a Ruger Mk3 22/45 that was in their used case. I did not like the feel of the grip - not very much like a Government Model at all! The grip was too thin and the edges were too sharp. Right beside it was a Smith and Wesson SW22 Victory, which I looked at next. Not much to the grip but the gun itself was nice and light, well balanced and its an all metal handgun, as opposed to the 22/45. The price was just over $300 and it was less expensive than the used Ruger. I asked if the price marked was the used price and was told, no, it was new and on sale, and he didn't know what it was doing in the used case. Some one took control of my voice at that point and said "I'll take it!", just like that, before I had a chance to consider it any further. I looked around and there was nobody else there! Spooky. I don't know how that happened. Yeah, my wife didn't believe it either!
My son and I took it to the range today along with my Ruger Mk2 with the heavy barrell and red dot sight. The Victory's sights are three dot fibre optic plastic tubes and are on the small side, which made for a crowded sight picture. However the trigger was nice and light and very smooth. In fact we both agreed that we would have liked it better if it had been just a little bit crisper on the let off. But for the price... . We also both agreed that we preferred the Ruger's grips better - something I'd never have thought that I'd say. We put a hundred rounds of 40 gr. mini-mags and a hundred rounds of WW Wildcats through it and had two FTF's, one with each brand of ammo and from the same mag. The round chambering stopping about an eighth of an inch short from being fully chambered. On the one cartridge rim we could see where the extractor claw had ridden up over it a couple times as I worked the action several times to extract each of them. There were no such marks on the other case rim, and when I put both cartridges in a different magazine they both fed, fired and extracted just as they were supposed to. Don't know what was up with that! I had to use the tip of a small screw driver to get both of them out of the chamber, originally. There were no problems with any of the successive rounds. The Victory comes with a replacement rail and I think that a red dot sight is in its future, after we run a few hundred trouble free rounds through it. With a bit of concentration it was easy to hit a 3 inch bull at 50 feet with the open sights, but not as much fun as chewing it up using a red dot sight. But I like to know that the irons are there and sighted in. It was a fun afternoon.

I laughed out loud when I read that....

All I can say is, if you’re gonna be ‘channeling’ voices.... at least yours is giving you good ‘guidance’....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on July 05 2018 10:13:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
886 Posts

Posted - July 06 2018 :  08:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a big 22LR fan. Want one of the Smiths myself. Have fun with yours. Good to enjoy it with your son.

I gave my granddaughter a Ruger Security Six in 38 Spl. Will get to have some fun with her after it cools down a little. She is 14.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
716 Posts

Posted - July 06 2018 :  2:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Chris has written favorably about the Victory.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27581

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3223 Posts

Posted - July 06 2018 :  2:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a simple, reliable, adequately accurate, and easy to clean, 22LR pistol for someone who just wants a nice 'plinker', or basic competition pistol. For serious competitive purposes I'll stick with my Ruger MKIV... with a lot of custom tuning and custom grips.

That's comparing 'apples to oranges' dollar-wise... but it just depends upon the level of performance you want/require. But the Victory would do if I didn't have the very-highly tuned MKIV.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on July 06 2018 2:47:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4950 Posts

Posted - July 06 2018 :  3:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any other recommendations? I’ve heard good things about the Browning Buckmark....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
267 Posts

Posted - July 06 2018 :  4:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was not trying to steal Chris' thunder. Having read his review was one of the factors in favor of the Victory. I can never seem to get the Search function to work for me. I am not knowledgeable enough about firearms to do a review and was just giving the impressions of a some-time casual shooter. I think that because of the grip size and light weight that it would be a great handgun to use for new and younger shooters - no excess weight to tire their arms and the low muzzle blast of a twenty-two.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3223 Posts

Posted - July 06 2018 :  5:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ajt

I was not trying to steal Chris' thunder. Having read his review was one of the factors in favor of the Victory. I can never seem to get the Search function to work for me. I am not knowledgeable enough about firearms to do a review and was just giving the impressions of a some-time casual shooter. I think that because of the grip size and light weight that it would be a great handgun to use for new and younger shooters - no excess weight to tire their arms and the low muzzle blast of a twenty-two.

You're right on. It is an inexpensive pistol that works and fits young hands well. It also has a grip angle, sights, and operating controls that are very close to many polymer centerfire guns... so making a later 'shift' won't be a whole new learning experience.
For the price, the Victory is a good buy.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
716 Posts

Posted - July 07 2018 :  12:14:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ajt,

It never entered my mind that you were trying to steal anyone's thunder, and I meant no offense, just a confirmation. I value your opinion and appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
267 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  10:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son and I, and a friend of his who has never fired a gun of any type before, put 500 trouble free rounds through the S&W Victory yesterday evening. We also fired a Ruger Speed Six using .38 Specs, a Cimarron .44 SA clone, and a 4" mod 29 - using 'cowboy' rounds in both .44s. The friend was a last minute 'dropped by the house' thing, literally catching us as we were going out of the door, or I would have taken something else in place of the .44s - probably a 9mm semi. As it was the friend was thrilled and admitted to a lot of misconceptions about firearms and was very enthusiastic, expressing that he couldn't wait to tell the people that he worked with about his experience! We asked him to please NOT to reveal the source of the firearms, citing the risk of theft as the reason. He seemed surprised at that and my son said that he'd have a follow-up conversation with him.
As to the Victory, it was overcast and we were outdoors and the fiber optic sights are a little on the small/too tight side for distance shooting, for me anyway, but were okay when the sun would appear to light them up. I'm definitely going to a red dot on this .22 plinker.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000