Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - S&W .380 Shield EZ M2.0
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 S&W .380 Shield EZ M2.0
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rev.
Advanced Member

1022 Posts

Posted - June 09 2018 :  7:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the article about the S&W EZ in the NRA magazine, I was impressed, so I went and looked at one. A problem came up, the ambi. thumb safety would not engage. I went to another store and looked at the one that came with NO thumb safety and bought it. I figured that having no thumb safety removed a potential problem and eliminated having to quickly thumb it off if I ever needed to shoot in a hurry.
Before I went to the range I field stripped it, wiped it down, lubed it with Mobile One and went off with 150 rounds of three different makes of FMJ and 50 rounds of Hornady XTPs.
Results...all rounds fired with no malfunctions of any kind!
Accuracy is where I aimed and as tight as I could hold it.
So far the S&W EZ is as advertised (except for the thumb safety problem) and in my humble opinion, a winner.
rev.

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5668 Posts

Posted - June 10 2018 :  09:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this post. I have a friend ( I consider family) asking for a reliable handgun for a small frame female and I said in a year or two that EZ pistol may be something to consider. Your review I will keep in mind.
I tend to wait a couple years on a new model of a firearm.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

rev.
Advanced Member

1022 Posts

Posted - July 03 2018 :  11:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those interested, I have now put about 500 rds. through this pistol with only one malfi., a stove pipe failure to eject. The trigger has smoothed out feeling much like my G42. Some may wonder why have a pistol of this size chambered in .380? This answer for me, is that it's the most pleasant shooting pistol I have which encourages practice, it's more accurate than I can hold it, shoots a round that while at the bottom of the list is still recognized as effective for self defense, carries nine rounds and is still small enough to carry if you properly dress around it.
And, I just like it.
rev.
PS....I changed it from right to left hand mag. release. It's one of those jobs that should take maybe 10 minutes to do but takes 45 minutes, with three hand and 12 fingers along with a few old navy words to help it along.

Edited by - rev. on July 03 2018 11:56:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

LfiGrad

USA
96 Posts

Posted - July 04 2018 :  3:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rev.

For those interested, I have now put about 500 rds. through this pistol with only one malfi., a stove pipe failure to eject. The trigger has smoothed out feeling much like my G42. Some may wonder why have a pistol of this size chambered in .380? This answer for me, is that it's the most pleasant shooting pistol I have which encourages practice, it's more accurate than I can hold it, shoots a round that while at the bottom of the list is still recognized as effective for self defense, carries nine rounds and is still small enough to carry if you properly dress around it.
And, I just like it.
rev.
PS....I changed it from right to left hand mag. release. It's one of those jobs that should take maybe 10 minutes to do but takes 45 minutes, with three hand and 12 fingers along with a few old navy words to help it along.

If you have a new range gun, and its fun to shoot and you like it, then you made a good choice. However, reading between the lines, it seems to me that you see this as a carry gun.

You have had "only" one malfunction in 500 rounds. I stopped carrying my 1911 thirty years ago because I would "only" average one malfunction every 1000 rounds.

Regardless of the caliber, I would need at least another 500 rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions before I would even ALLOW myself to SUSPECT that I MIGHT have a reliable gun. THEN you can say that you "only" had one malfunction in 1000 rounds.

Some may say that it wasn't "broken in" but in my experience plastic guns don't really need breaking in.

If my only choice was a loaded .25 or an unloaded .45, I would choose the empty .45. They both have the same stopping power, but the empty 1911 looks a lot more convincing and makes a better club.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3878 Posts

Posted - July 04 2018 :  3:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no experience with the .380 Shield. But have 1000 rounds through the 9mm and S&W 40. And, 40,000-50,000 rounds through the parent M&P in 9mm and .45. S&W got this design RIGHT! I think it is truly a GREAT design.

If a .380 is what you want, then I wouldn't argue with your choice... only to ask why not in 9mm? The size difference and recoil is negligible... but the terminal performance is better with the 9mm or .40.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

rev.
Advanced Member

1022 Posts

Posted - July 04 2018 :  5:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a small,light,short,not very strong female somewhere in the universe (I hesitate getting more specific with big brother capable of looking in) who may be finding a hand gun floating around in the ethesphere sometime in the hopefully distant future who may benefit from an EZ to operate .380.
Till then, I will enjoy shooting it and having it riding in my waist band now and then.
Happy 4th.
rev.
ssshhhhhhh.....(grand daughter)

Edited by - rev. on July 05 2018 7:16:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

rev.
Advanced Member

1022 Posts

Posted - July 04 2018 :  6:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On considering odds......about 18 years ago facing back surgery I asked the surgeon; "what was the worst thing that could happen?"
He answered; "you could die". What are the odds I asked; he said "one in a hundred". And die I did! I was gone for three minutes before they brought me back. So I hit the jack pot once already. I'm not afraid to walk cross the street where the odds of surviving are even worse. I'm happy with one malfi. in 500 rds. I'll be 80 in November, so times'running out anyway. While living is habit forming, I'm none the less looking forward to my next "big adventure".
Blessings to all,
rev.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.07seconds. Snitz Forums 2000