Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 7 Pistol Shooting Tips for People with Arthritis
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 7 Pistol Shooting Tips for People with Arthritis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3878 Posts

Posted - June 01 2018 :  5:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

With standard pressure ammo, I find "controllabilty " between the g17 and lightweight Commander to be very close myself.

my wife shoots her g19 with +p+, she won't touch a 1911

I think the muzzle flip bothers her, that and she's a big sissy.......

Every shooter is an individual. And, when it comes to guns... just like shirts, pants and shoes... "one size doesn't fit all".

Perceptive recoil can vary between gun platforms. One platform may certainly "fit" better than another. We just have to all seek our own personal salvation. Sometimes a change of platform results in salvation

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

321 Posts

Posted - June 02 2018 :  01:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, Massad Ayoob published an article called "Arthritis and the Shooter" on his Backwoods Home website where he linked this thread, so we might see some additional (new) traffic here!
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5838 Posts

Posted - June 02 2018 :  09:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perceived recoil effect can even vary considerably depending on which grips (oops...stocks) are mounted on the gun. For example: The factory Ahrends grips on my S&W Model 21, shooting the .44 Spl Skelton load [Rule 4 observed] hurt my hand. Rubber Hogue Monogrips are better. The wood Monogrips are distinctly wider than the rubber ones and distribute the recoil to the point where my early arthritis no longer objects at all.

For the Model 19, 2.5 inch barrel, I'm good with the factory grips and Tyler T-grip up to its preferred .357 Remington Golden Saber load. On the infrequent occasions I shoot full-bore .357 loads in that gun the backstrap covering Pachmayr Compacs go on first. On the other hand, the skimpy Pachmayr Professional Compacs with a poorly fitting open backstrap, start to hurt with .38+P's.

In 1911's I much prefer wider grip panels to the extra thin "more concealable" style.

Before downloading the gun, changing to a lighter caliber, or moving up to a heavier all steel model, a simple grip swap might solve the problem.

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on June 02 2018 09:14:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - June 02 2018 :  09:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, could we call that a 'stock trade'? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5838 Posts

Posted - June 02 2018 :  3:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Jeff, could we call that a 'stock trade'? Ace

I'll need a few minutes to come to grips with that question.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - June 02 2018 :  4:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace.... get a grip....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on June 02 2018 4:34:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - June 02 2018 :  11:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did; it's on my .45 revawver. Gonna try it at the range this week coming, but I won't put much stock in it unless it works good. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - June 05 2018 :  06:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GW,

My wife is not a shooter, but she is a good shot (if that makes any sense).

Everything she picks up she does well with. Might be because when it comes to shooting she does not think she was born with "the shooting gene" like most of the guys from around here.

When she used to go to the range with me she would like to shoot my 6.5" 29 with full charge loads - my guess is just to show that girls can handle it. Though she has not shot it in some years now.

I bought her a little .38 with pearl stocks. She looked at it and said "that's not a .45, I don't want it"

Oddly enough my Mom was the same way, I have her Colt 1911 Commemorative with Ivory stocks that she sometimes carried. She too was a good shot with a pistol and .22 rifle - but then she grew up on a farm.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6121 Posts

Posted - June 05 2018 :  11:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of something I've learned over the years: I Daddy/husband/boyfriend buys his girl a gun as a surprise gift, and it's something she really doesn't like, she'll let you know--sometimes in 'no uncertain terms'. Then it's time for a trip to the gun shop with her and the gun so she can trade it for what she wants.
If Momma/wife/girlfriend buy her guy a gun as a surprise gift, it could be a Jennings .25 or a Hi Point .45, and we'll be so tickled at the thought, we'll keep it and treat it like part of King Tut's treasure.
I guess girls just aren't as appreciative as boys. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - June 06 2018 :  08:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

Perceived recoil effect can even vary considerably depending on which grips (oops...stocks) are mounted on the gun. For example: The factory Ahrends grips on my S&W Model 21, shooting the .44 Spl Skelton load [Rule 4 observed] hurt my hand. Rubber Hogue Monogrips are better. The wood Monogrips are distinctly wider than the rubber ones and distribute the recoil to the point where my early arthritis no longer objects at all.

For the Model 19, 2.5 inch barrel, I'm good with the factory grips and Tyler T-grip up to its preferred .357 Remington Golden Saber load. On the infrequent occasions I shoot full-bore .357 loads in that gun the backstrap covering Pachmayr Compacs go on first. On the other hand, the skimpy Pachmayr Professional Compacs with a poorly fitting open backstrap, start to hurt with .38+P's.

In 1911's I much prefer wider grip panels to the extra thin "more concealable" style.

Before downloading the gun, changing to a lighter caliber, or moving up to a heavier all steel model, a simple grip swap might solve the problem.

Jeff

I do something odd, I test stuff. I find that not only must the gun fit my hand, the material matters as well.

Someone gave me a prototype of a set of stocks (that shall remain nameless as they may well work for someone else).

I was doing a class at Rangemaster so I put them on and went out and shot a controlability test - my groups doubled in size!

I took them off and gave them back thanking the fellow for the offer. Later in conversation I told Tom Givens about my results and he told me he did the same thing.

That "your mileage may vary" thing is true

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
940 Posts

Posted - June 09 2018 :  06:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

quote:
Originally posted by Frogfoot

Maybe a 1911 style pistol in .22 TCM might work? Light recoil, fast shot recovery times, high capacity and relatively cheap ammunition prices on the plus side, but only one load on the minus side. With the 9R version of this round, you can get a conversion kit for your Glock 17 or 22. It's too bad there's not a smaller, more affordable pistol in 5.7x28 though.

I have one of those - it is indeed very light recoil. I'm not sure I'd trust the 40 gr. bullet for self defense though.

Jim

You've got a point there. I retrieved one round each of the Armscor .22 Magnum and .22 TCM loads and they appear to use the exact same bullet in both. Perhaps a better constructed bullet would be in order such as ones used in the Hornady Critical Defense line.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

arty

117 Posts

Posted - June 09 2018 :  09:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wide rubber grips help, especially when shooting with just a single hand.
It is a good idea to have a clone in 22LR for lots of practice. A model 18 makes for a good practice gun for a larger revolver. This doesn't mean I advocate giving up practice with the center fire round, but sometimes it is good to avoid the beating you get with lots of recoil and muzzle blast. I have nasty arthritis in my left hand. I am a righty, fortunately. It is just time until it hits both sides.
Go to Top of Page

flc
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - July 12 2018 :  6:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw this thread but it pertains to me. At 76 yrs old my right hand trigger finger has arthritis so bad it's almost frozen straight out. I have arthritis in both hands but that's the worst of it. Recoil is not an issue to me - just pulling the trigger. I have recently alternated between shooting left handed and shooting right handed with my middle finger as trigger finger. Actually both work quite well. Anyone else tried this? I primarily shoot SIGs 9mm and .45 both DA/SA and DAK.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - July 12 2018 :  8:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the surprising things scientists have discovered about our human brains in the last decade, is the unexpected degree of ‘plasticity’: our brain’s ability to ‘re-program’ itself when it has to.

For example, when someone permanently loses their eyesight, their brain starts putting together new neural networks: taking over areas formerly used for vision, and re-connecting them to networks serving touch and sound.

So re-programming yourself to shoot with your middle finger should be entirely possible.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on July 12 2018 8:04:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000