Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Brass to Face with 90gr
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 Brass to Face with 90gr
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MisterMike
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - April 14 2018 :  6:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got a new-to-me 92FS and I loaded it up with 90gr Supervel since I want something light for my apartment. Anyhow, I shot it yesterday and it performed really well except it was launching the brass into my face and off my safety glasses every single time, is it because it's too light for a 9mm?

Addition notes: It only happens with the 90grs, not 124 +p JHP or 115 gr FMJ. I don't usually consider getting hit with brass an issue but these casings were coming at me pretty hard and frequently into my eye area.

Edited by - MisterMike on April 14 2018 10:36:31 PM

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1825 Posts

Posted - April 15 2018 :  8:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

The SV 90 grain loads are pretty zippy and probably impart a different slide velocity than the others you mentioned. Sometimes a difference like that can make a big change in ejection patterns, as you discovered.

You mentioned a concern about having a load that won't overpenetrate in your apartment setting . . . honestly, there's nothing to be concerned about with the 124+P loads, which apparently shoot well in your gun without BTF issues.

If it were me, I'd be very happy using the 124s, and wouldn't bother trying to make the 90 grain loads work.

V/R
Mike
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1405 Posts

Posted - April 16 2018 :  05:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome M/M, while I am haven't tried that load in any of my9's, I had a similar problem with one of my 40's and it was resolved by tweaking the extractor. Since I didn't do the work ( I know my limits) I don't know what to say except if you want to use that load I would find a good gunsmith to see about helping you out. What Ten Driver said about 124 gr. bullets is pretty much the truth,most of today's bullets are made to stay in the body. The hard part is hitting the right thing and that is a matter of practice.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
895 Posts

Posted - April 16 2018 :  08:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Glock mdl 19 that does the same thing, intermittently, with light Winchester practice ammo. Put the good stuff, Speer, Remington Corbon DPX, in it and it operates just fine. I could send it back to Glock but the problem is something I can live with. I don't carry it any longer as I have gone to a MP 2.0 9c.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on April 16 2018 08:18:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

MisterMike
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - April 19 2018 :  10:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point I may switch HST since it's excellent from everything I've seen.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000