Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - grip safety
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 grip safety
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges

USA
2235 Posts

Posted - April 14 2018 :  3:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After shooting and handling the 1911 platform for awhile now I am still having trouble with the grip safety. My grip on the gun is not consistent enough I guess, still working on it and also the weak hand thumb placement.
I have to wonder why these guns are not made with a solid back frame and just do away with the grip safety?
I am much more comfortable with the glock then the 1911.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1652 Posts

Posted - April 14 2018 :  3:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Russ did you check the leaf spring under the grip safety? I had to replace several on Springfields with Wolf springs. It's an easy fix, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2235 Posts

Posted - April 14 2018 :  5:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi, Russ did you check the leaf spring under the grip safety? I had to replace several on Springfields with Wolf springs. It's an easy fix, regards, Mike

Yup, I even tuned the grip safety itself so it would disengage sooner.
Kind of think I am getting to old to change systems.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5203 Posts

Posted - April 14 2018 :  6:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it have the 'bump' on it, to help with a less-than-perfect grip?
There was a time people would pin the grip safety and just rely on the thumb lever. Not sure I'd recommend it, and don't know how that would look to the legal beagles if it was ever used in a social situation, but if it's a range-only gun, might be an option. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

djwarner

USA
247 Posts

Posted - April 15 2018 :  08:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently ran across a WWII 1911 training film on Youtube. There were several things that did not conform with our modern teachings. Most interesting was two handed shooting. They had the second hand held palm up, placing the butt of the gun in the center of the palm and wrapping the fingers and thumb to grab the primary hand. This allows you fully extend your primary arm with elbow and wrist straight while using the sights.

NON NOBIS TANTUM NATI
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5203 Posts

Posted - April 15 2018 :  09:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, and in my experience, makes recoil much less controllable. We used to call it 'tea cup grip'---well, still do, on the rare occasion it occurs. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9534 Posts

Posted - April 20 2018 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never had a problem myself but have run into folks who do.

If one does not have a departmental regulation one can just tape it down - or do the classy Texas Ranger thing and use a small leather strip to tie it down. Rubber bands work as well but have to be changed occasionally.

I actually like it myself and make sure all of mine function and would never carry a pistol with a short trigger under 8 or 9 lbs without some sort of safety other than on the trigger itself (I did that for a while but it scared the begessezes out of me - especially since I see cases come across the desk regularly about people shooting themselves when holstering).

It isn't mostly fingers on the trigger it is shirt tails and coat tassels. I even know of 6 going off when already holstered and no hand on the gun - one fatal.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4766 Posts

Posted - April 20 2018 :  08:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

I've never had a problem myself but have run into folks who do.

If one does not have a departmental regulation one can just tape it down - or do the classy Texas Ranger thing and use a small leather strip to tie it down. Rubber bands work as well but have to be changed occasionally.

I actually like it myself and make sure all of mine function and would never carry a pistol with a short trigger under 8 or 9 lbs without some sort of safety other than on the trigger itself (I did that for a while but it scared the begessezes out of me - especially since I see cases come across the desk regularly about people shooting themselves when holstering).

It isn't mostly fingers on the trigger it is shirt tails and coat tassels. I even know of 6 going off when already holstered and no hand on the gun - one fatal.

Jim

Do you have any idea what caused them to happen?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000